Why has nobody tackled the Shredder Helmet??

Originally posted by NoHumorMan@Mar 2 2006, 05:11 PM
It definitely looks like some thin metal wire work added to a base helmet in order to make it more interesting to film, rather than having a smooth surface, in order to give the helmet some character and not look boring.  Sorta like the grey painted parts on the Vader helmet to create some highlight and low-light.

Would love to see one of these made.  And boy, must it be dreadful to fight while wearing this helmet.

I believe I've heard or read somewhere that two helmets were used in the filming.  One with a fixed mouth piece and one with a removable mouth piece.  I'll check and see if I can find where I read or heard that...

But definitely a weave on some type... string, whicker or metal wire.

And thin bamboo and whicker, just as a side note, are actually quite strong when in a weave pattern.
[snapback]1197455[/snapback]​
I have always wondered exactly how they attached that face mask to the helm, as well. I can't think of any type of connecting system that would allow it to just pull off like that. I also figured that there was just one helmet used throughout filming, but a "fight helmet" does make some sense. Wouldn't want that mask to be falling off mid-battle, as it seems to be VERY capable of doing.

I wish the helmet's owner would suddenly feel like showing us some detailed photos. :p

Ryan

what i would say they did, from what i remember it looking like...

id say that the face mask was screwed in on the inside, but for this scene where he takes the mask off, id bet they unscrewed it and just used double sided tape or the like to barely hold it then he just pulls it off.

id say they were the same.

but who knows, yes it would be cool if the owner could be traced down.

Originally posted by oldken@Mar 5 2006, 01:02 AM
what i would say they did, from what i remember it looking like...

id say that the face mask was screwed in on the inside, but for this scene where he takes the mask off, id bet they unscrewed it and just used double sided tape or the like to barely hold it then he just pulls it off.

id say they were the same.

but who knows, yes it would be cool if the owner could be traced down.
[snapback]1198874[/snapback]​

Probably not screen accurate, but a magnet system would probably work well for this.

Cheers.

Mike

Cool thread, and yes it was made to imitate a basket weave :lol It's a samurai/yakuza reference, as samurai monks wore weaved basket hood/hats that covered their faces, as did warring armored samurai. So basically if someone can do basket weaving with what I would guess was thin aluminum rod, that's half the battle right there.
JJ

For the second film, that face mask part was a completely separate piece, like a dust mask, worn by the actor with black elastic around the back of his head.

And the front brim or whatever you want to call it was in fact cast aluminum, so it was real metal, but not overly heavy. Wish I could remember exactly what those back panels were, but I don't remember them being metal.

Rick

gah, all my old photos disappeared, i dont even remember making tests that i apparently posted :p I would still loev to do this someday though!

This looks really accurate...anyone seen it before?

shredder_costume.jpg

Invent Horizon

Okay... so all of the TMNT films were released on Blu-Ray a week or two ago... who's going to be the first to post screen grabs? :D

From what I saw last night, the face mask definitely looks resin. I'm pretty sure I even saw a crack in one scene...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back