Where's all the BSG Costuming discussion going on these days?

Suit's looking good! :D

I'm also in the process of building a flight suit, I've got most of the materials, but I'm having real trouble tracking down the black dotted 'turbo' (or even anything similar) material for the harness. What material did you use for that part of your suit??

I also have a few spare GBA cartridge cases, so if you're still in need of one drop me a line and we'll sort something out :)

I'm also in the process of building a flight suit, I've got most of the materials, but I'm having real trouble tracking down the black dotted 'turbo' (or even anything similar) material for the harness. What material did you use for that part of your suit??

I couldn't find the right stuff either- for mine, I went to a pick-a-part (auto junkyard) and cut some upholstery out of an old MG. That was very inexpensive, and worked pretty well...

I couldn't find the right stuff either- for mine, I went to a pick-a-part (auto junkyard) and cut some upholstery out of an old MG. That was very inexpensive, and worked pretty well...
Thanks for the suggestion :) I'd love to see some pictures of how that turned out, if you have any handy :)

I spent a good couple of hours last night scouring eBay and googling for various iterations of non-slip material and a lot of the results I was getting were for car mats, so that's certainly a potential avenue to look into. I also found a yoga mat that looks to have about the right pattern, but it was $60! (Yoga stuff is SOOO expensive) so depending on how desperate I get, that's also a potential, LOL!

OK guys, I finished everything up in time for C2E2 last week end and got my photo with Mary McDonnell and Edward James Olmos. I also found the game cartridge for the leg pocket and the toothbrush holder for the shine pocket. I have a few extra of the games cases and toothbrush holders if anyone is looking for them.
Here is a pic of my finished suit I photo shopped on to the flight deck of the Galactica, You can see all my pictures here > VIPER PILOT

2016-03-15 23.43.47.jpg

battlestar.jpeg

Sorry for necro-ing this thread bud my Galactica bug was just reignited after starting to re-watch the show with my GF. I'm thinking of making a flight suit or Duty Blues but it seems discussion of props and costumes from the show are just about dead (and the BSG costume forum seems hard to get into in light of that, unless a couple folks here could vouch?). Kicking myself for not getting one of the Anovos uniforms while they were still available! I'm also thinking of modeling and 3d printing a helmet- THAT I can easily manage at least!

Anyway... if anyone want to chime in on the current state of things... it'd be mighty neighborly of ya!

//Joe

Last edited:
Sorry for necro-ing this thread bud my Galactica bug was just reignited after starting to re-watch the show with my GF. I'm thinking of making a flight suit or BDUs but it seems discussion of props and costumes from the show are just about dead (and the BSG costume forum seems hard to get into in light of that, unless a couple folks here could vouch?). Kicking myself for not getting one of the Anovos uniforms while they were still available! I'm also thinking of modeling and 3d printing a helmet- THAT I can easily manage at least!

Anyway... if anyone want to chime in on the current state of things... it'd be mighty neighborly of ya!

//Joe

The BDUs would be the easiest to do, it's just a matter of converting an off the shelf pair of BDUs with some suede on the shoulders, along with straps and buckles on the pockets and cuffs. I believe that they used ripstop cotton BDUs on the show but hardly anyone makes 100% ripstop cotton BDUs anymore, the closest you'll find is a ploy cotton ripstop blend, they're just a bit lighter than cotton so they might not look 100% like they do on the show. For the modifications, Alchemy Arms for a conversion kit. It comes with 4 straps, 2 pieces of suede, and 4 buckles, you'll just need to sew them on yourself, add a patch and you're good to go.

Sorry for necro-ing this thread bud my Galactica bug was just reignited after starting to re-watch the show with my GF. I'm thinking of making a flight suit or Duty Blues but it seems discussion of props and costumes from the show are just about dead (and the BSG costume forum seems hard to get into in light of that, unless a couple folks here could vouch?). Kicking myself for not getting one of the Anovos uniforms while they were still available! I'm also thinking of modeling and 3d printing a helmet- THAT I can easily manage at least!

//Joe

Joe,

I think that the BSG threads are suffering from the fact that there are so many new shows and movies to follow that are current. BSG is closing on being 15 years old and even with the devoted fans that we are, there isn't enough interest being generated to keep those threads going. I personally know of several FB fan costume pages for BSG. old and new, you may have to check those out. I do know there was a chap selling a set of duty blues in the UK. Not really a whole lot of help but you did ask about the current state if things after all.

Best regards,
Don

Joe,

I think that the BSG threads are suffering from the fact that there are so many new shows and movies to follow that are current. BSG is closing on being 15 years old and even with the devoted fans that we are, there isn't enough interest being generated to keep those threads going. I personally know of several FB fan costume pages for BSG. old and new, you may have to check those out. I do know there was a chap selling a set of duty blues in the UK. Not really a whole lot of help but you did ask about the current state if things after all.

Best regards,
Don
Yeah, I know. The Firefly scene is even worse off in that regard. I had to search a long while before I found ONE group in the UK with 700-ish members. (Were the DB's you were talking about screen-used and costing several thousand? If so, I think I saw 'em!) Thanks for the inpu! : )

I'm currently working on finishing my flight deck helmet. I dyed the liner and put vinyl stockers on an old set of JVC headphones. It needs a little work, but it will do for a con I'm going to tomorrow.
IMG_8072.jpg

I did a tribute costume for Doc Cottle last year and wore it to a couple of Cons. did the whole schtick with cigarettes and cigarette package, medical report for my Anovos clipboard. A friend did up a prescription pad for me as well. The second image is from VulCon 2018 with a new friend.

Attachments

• DSC06037crop.jpg
    DSC06037crop.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 37907283_10215146241663875_3200330365910646784_n.jpg
    37907283_10215146241663875_3200330365910646784_n.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 85
Figure I would chime in, late to BSG, but definitely working on props and getting a couple of items 3D printed.

Got a couple of Hilti cases on the ‘bay, spray paint from the local home supply store, thin acrylic to hide the logos, and stencils/stickers on Etsy and another supplier. Binoculars not fan made.

Attachments

• A4B766C7-5D98-4A1C-928F-F124FE4AC6D4.jpeg
    A4B766C7-5D98-4A1C-928F-F124FE4AC6D4.jpeg
    596.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 9FF80859-ADB0-498F-8AA4-707F0276404D.jpeg
    9FF80859-ADB0-498F-8AA4-707F0276404D.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 83
  • F00A554D-8769-4C5B-A6E8-249222A31F20.jpeg
    F00A554D-8769-4C5B-A6E8-249222A31F20.jpeg
    947 KB · Views: 83
  • BD975615-DE61-45FE-BAD0-D77581BC9FE2.jpeg
    BD975615-DE61-45FE-BAD0-D77581BC9FE2.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 64
Figure I would chime in, late to BSG, but definitely working on props and getting a couple of items 3D printed.

Got a couple of Hilti cases on the ‘bay, spray paint from the local home supply store, thin acrylic to hide the logos, and stencils/stickers on Etsy and another supplier. Binoculars not fan made.

Frak Me !!!!! Those look fantastic, well done sir !!

I had an original series style jacket *years* ago, that I got from STARLOG magazine back in the day....it was a little large on me, and I foolishly sold it to someone because I was laid off and needed cash.
Turns out, he 'tried to alter it' (no idea what he meant, and glad I don't know!!), and tore it pretty good. Ended up throwing it out, patches, pins, and all.

May he be eternally cursed for such a blasphemy!

I had an original series style jacket *years* ago, that I got from STARLOG magazine back in the day....it was a little large on me, and I foolishly sold it to someone because I was laid off and needed cash.
Turns out, he 'tried to alter it' (no idea what he meant, and glad I don't know!!), and tore it pretty good. Ended up throwing it out, patches, pins, and all.

May he be eternally cursed for such a blasphemy!
Starlog...I remember that magazine, great reference before this forum :)

Too bad and I missed that - now I keep all GAK, just in case..

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back