Where do you put your finished costumes?

Wish I had more space to display my costumes/props like a spare room or something but living in a small apartment in the center of London doesn't lend to a lot of space!

Since nearly all of my costumes involve hard armour plates/helmets/masks they end up packed in various labelled boxes in the bottom of my wardrobes most aren't too bad as they're separate pieces that can be piled up or placed in ways that they take up minimum space the bigger problem is my Iron man as there's literally no way to compress the ab plate/torso to make them flatter/smaller for storage so they eat up a huge amount of space in my wardrobes.....

I Really want to attempt a Guyver or War Machine but honestly don't think I have the space to store it and I certainly don't have the space to display it...

I keep everything in labeled bins in a dedicated closet. Anything over-sized goes on the top shelf (or it's on display in our prop room - ie, all of our helmets), and I keep a few things hanging on hangers in another closet:
my costume closet

Definitely my favorite!. I love the picture label idea, because just a name doesn't describe enough if you are looking for a specific piece to a costume but can't remember which one had it.

Labelled bins and in some instances hardigg cases made to look a little unique to the outfit.

SSTHardigg.jpg

USCMHardigg.jpg

Right now in my living room I have a perminent display for my samurai. It's on a mannequin sitting on a 450 year old armour box. My ironman will be set up on a mannequin in a armour hall alcove when completed. My final plan when I buy a house is to display everything in a home theatre.

Most of my hangable costumes are in my closet. Still have several that need to squish in there yet.

409479_10151403636967990_1714533980_n.jpg

The stuff that goes with them is generally attached the hanger or in a bag or bin on the floor below.

All of my plastic armor kits are in labeled totes out in the garage. My one set of metal armor lives inside. I have a couple of units with pull out fabric drawers where I store all of my sort of generic/used for multiple costumes/wigs/shoes etc. It's also where I have my extra bits and pieces that may become a costume some day. And then the stuff that isn't really armor but isn't really hangable goes in large totes in another closet. All of my helmets are on some shelves in my basement and my hats and non-squisable wigs are in my work room.

I put my kiss destroyer costume in giant rubbermaids with padding. I had concerns for storage because it cost so much and took alot of time to build. A mannequin is a good idea depending on what your costume consists of. Other things to consider are damage from sunlight, dust, and the chance of it getting bumped into dropped or knocked over. Thats why its good to keep it in a safe place and covered up to protect your investment as some of these costumes are very expensive and very custom.

My Mandalorian Armor is split up into a couple of places: The Flight suit is hung up on a High end Hanger on a special hook because it is taller than the highest bar to hang clothes that I have, the Armor Plates are placed in my dresser along with the Flack Vest and a lot of Silica gel packets because my armor is 2mm thick steel that had a thin layer of oxidation on it after my first con so I had to clean it quite well, now after every event I go to I always wash the soft parts of the costume and clean then dry the plates themselves even though they have been treat to prevent rust (I take no chances), then the helmet has a custom stand that I made that mounts to the wall but can be placed on a table as well.
My Halo 3 Hayabusa armor is similar but the under armor is also stored in my closet with special hangers but stays on the high bar, the armor is Fiberglass Pepakura but it has a Padded "Roadie" Equipment Hard case that has been painted with a UNSC theme and weathered to look like it has been well used to put the armor and props, since the Hayabusa Helmet has lights in it the custom stand is (also designed like the other one) built with a 12V DC charger that has been modified and changed the Male plug connector to a Male Mono speaker cable , so the helmet's lights can be turned on when I have guests over or when I just want to look at it.

My armor lives in my garage now. I do want to construct at least a frame, or ideally a cabinet around it to help keep off dust when im wood working though.

I keep my German Fan Club Star Trek NX-Jumpsuit Uniform in it's own Hardigg Case.
And all of my Trek Collectibles that are not on Display in other Hardigg Cases.

I have a Basement that is not always Dry or free of Bugs or Insects( I have Spider/Cave Crickets).

The Hardigg Cases are Airtight, Water-Proof, Insect Resistant, Lockable & Stackable also come fully Padded.
Also you can customizable to your preference with paint and or Stencils.

P.s. I sell them too...Check the Junkyard if interested : Hardigg/Pelican Cases :)

I did not mean to hijack you Thread......:cool

........Jeremiah

Most of mine are in garment bags hung in my closet with any prop pieces either on the top shelf in my closet or in a plastic bin I use to transport shoes/food/random things when I go to cons. More flexible pieces I try to semi stuff with extra fabric/stuffing/bags so it doesn't loose shape since my closet can get pretty hot and I have had some warping in the past.
Can't wait til I find a 3 bedroom place that I can afford so I can have a dedicated sewing room and can finally have my closet back for my regular clothes. It is pretty much just all costumes at the moment.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back