What's on your workbench? (no Star Wars, Marvel or DC stuff)

I've been away from my workshop for a few weeks and it'll still be a bit before I get back, but I've got a lot to look forward to when I do get there. First off, I'm going to dive into making this thing all shiny:
47315832461_737ac7fe4e_c.jpg

46592522614_c865a42418_c.jpg

I'm on quite a Star Wars kick lately, so the next thing on my workbench is Major Vonreg from Resistance:
33610020498_cff82c6ba4_c.jpg

Slowly but surely I've been helping my friend Mallory put together a Boushh costume. Here she is putting a coat of primer on the collar armor prototype:
46592523154_ce1c6a34be_c.jpg

Finally, I've started printing pieces of this new helmet:
47516106702_c366e6966f_c.jpg

47516106612_2f3045e77e_z.jpg

So that's about to be a thing.

I like your phasma costume there thorssoli, you obviously printed that out quite nicely.
Can you pm me please I'd like to find out about the larger items you have printed for your costume pieces.
Nice work.

I like your phasma costume there thorssoli, you obviously printed that out quite nicely.
Can you pm me please I'd like to find out about the larger items you have printed for your costume pieces.
Nice work.

The Phasma costume is not printed. Some of the smaller parts were prototyped on a 3D printer, but anything bigger than a handful was carved on a CNC machine before the parts were molded and either cast in urethane resin (smaller, detail-rich pieces like the forearms and helmet) or laid up in fiberglass (larger, smooth pieces like most of the armor). You can read all about the process in this thread: Thorssoli's First Order Builds (New Rubber Gaskets on p.9)

It details all of my new trilogy stuff, Phasma, TIE Pilots, Flametrooper, and so on.

52C89981-E235-40A3-9CF5-FEBF0B488C02.jpeg

Here is an interesting one. I am usually doing paint commissions but since I am revamping the shop, making a new spray booth, etc, I’ve taken on a personal project.

My workbench has two Freddy gloves on it at the moment. One Part One inspired and the other my own design, but taking some cues from the SOHM glove. Just waiting on blades and the leather gloves! All metal. Blades will be spring steel. Type M copper pipe. Discoloration is all done naturally with heat, no chemical patina.

On a complete whim, I decided to paint one of my old drills. It's just for giggles, so it's not perfect and never will be :)

3.jpg 4.jpg
1.jpg 2.jpg

Oh, and I didn't paint the battery because... well, there's angry pixies in there :/

Building another of these,
IMG-20181217-WA0003-800x450.jpg
IMG-20181217-WA0001-800x450.jpg

I really should keep this stuff to myself and not show family members. That way i'll have more time for this.

View media item 49758
He wont be long now. Paint job is imminent. Then new dash mounted (which IS on my workbench) then fit new 355 small block.... power good.
Then back to this.

30021090001_large.jpeg

Attachments

• 2013-09-12 12.19.24.jpg
    2013-09-12 12.19.24.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Been tinkering in a free based Fusion 360 and... it's been going swimmingly.
Have [actually] build the watch to roughly 90% complete. More later if time permits. Laziness is a real challenge.
The Generator is [for the most part] a proof of concept piece and is 100% [theoretically] functional. Just have to invert the gears, figure a linear to vertical gearing [already done it once already] and make base metal wider.
Cheers.
Did you happen to figure out a mechanism that will turn the cogs as the handle is squeezed? I ripped the model from the game and scaled it up to what I think are normal proportions and I might as well make it a semi functional power bank that you can play with.

I guess I might as well introduce myself here.
Im currently working on the props from Metro Exodus. The Geiger Counter and the Universal Charger are my main focus and im slowly getting them done.
Screenshot_75.png Screenshot_105.png Screenshot_106.png

Did you happen to figure out a mechanism that will turn the cogs as the handle is squeezed? I ripped the model from the game and scaled it up to what I think are normal proportions and I might as well make it a semi functional power bank that you can play with.

The torque on the cogs was to massive and strained the entire system. It stemmed from the actual generator I used.
Hand turning the generator is sufficient to gain charge and keep the charge.
I pretty much have everything else (aside from a few connections, bolting it down, and alternate method of holding charge) nailed down. Thank god for the diode rectifier.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back