What was the most recent GREAT movie that you saw?

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
We have seen a thousands derivatives of "what is your favorite movie" but I am more interested in knowing what was the most recent great movie you saw instead of rehashing the staples.

For me, the last movie that I thought was really impressive was Dredd. It is sad to note that it was 3 years ago... and I haven't seen anything since that I truly thought was great. Dredd was just so simple and direct and had such a concise story, but was executed so well. Unlike so many movies, the female was very well written and was strong without falling into the "Ripley effect." Dredd was great simply because they were brave enough to have him stay in character and never break it. Great stuff!

So, what was the last great movie you saw? Doesn't have to be a recent movie, just that you saw it for the first time recently.

I really enjoyed Birdman. Seemed very fresh and I respect the way in which it was filmed. Felt very much like watching a play.

It's third act problem disqualifies it from being truly "great," but just re-watched Sunshine the other day and am amazed at how close it does come to being just that.

It's third act problem disqualifies it from being truly "great," but just re-watched Sunshine the other day and am amazed at how close it does come to being just that.

It's a shame for a movie fan like me to admit, but I kind of dug the third act. I liked the idea that Pinbacker not only survived the years he was stranded, but that he snuck onto Icarus 2 without anyone noticing.

Last great movie I saw? Birdman. Just the way it was shot felt like a completely different film experience for me. I've seen long shots in movies before, but never to the extent that the whole movie was going to be shot like it. It was exhausting and not in a bad way! And despite the film's obvious hatred towards mainstream movie blockbusters (
Didn't Alejandro say he hates Super Hero/Comic movies?), it didn't glorify the live theater production by being better in every way. Actors can still be a problem, sets can still be a problem (and even hazardous!) and even the reception can still be a problem.

I know its a bit old, but recently I just saw "Moon" for the first time. I was at the library with my daughter and was browsing the DVD section. I had heard good things about it and thankfully knew very little of the story going in other than the blurb on the back of the DVD.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "great."

Are we talking films I really, really liked? Are we talking films that have artistic merit, even if I might not have personally vibed with them? Are we talking a combination of the two?

In the theater, Guardians of the Galaxy and Kingsmen. On Amazon I recently watched Letters to Momo and absolutely loved that movie and so did the rest of my family, although a Production IG film it felt, and to a degree, looked like a Miyazaki film.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "great."

Are we talking films I really, really liked? Are we talking films that have artistic merit, even if I might not have personally vibed with them? Are we talking a combination of the two?

Films that YOU felt were great.

Empire Strikes Back...

attachment.php

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 350
I guess I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy. I really enjoyed it, and I thought it was made especially well. Doubly so, considering that the characters themselves were nothing special prior to the film.

Otherwise...hmm......it's honestly been a long time since I saw a truly GREAT film that just hits me across the board, that I think deserves critical acclaim, that resonates with me emotionally but also is objectively well done. On television, though, I find a lot more that I like these days.

I thought the Parks & Recreation finale was absolutely perfect.

I just saw that one last week, yeah I know better late than never, and I was completely blown away by the Cinematography, the way it was lit as well as the high speed camera and extreme close ups was effing BRILLIANT!

Loved it so much i have watched 4 times since last Wed.! :lol

I would say the last movie I saw that I thought was really great besides Dredd, was Stephen Chows" Journey to the west"

For me, the last movie that I thought was really impressive was Dredd..

The last movie I saw that I HAD to go back to the theater and watch again, was Zombieland. And I generally HATE Zombie movies.

Everything worked. Everything. It also got me running again (cuz cardio, right?)

I always liked Emma Stone, but this cemented my crush.

Bill Murray... proton packs.... laughing at his death.

Real heart... like finding out Woody Harrelson's character lost a son.

And the last sequence wasn't just a bullet blazing bore fest. It was still entertaining.

And really, best of all, these are some of the last remaining humans, so they aren't IDIOTS. They're survivors.

And to give credit to "Jesse Eisenberg, The only other movie I could think of was "The Social Network". Brilliant. Music, directing... WRITING...

"You better lawyer up *******, because I'm not coming back for 30%, I'm coming back for EVERYTHING."

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back