What was the most recent GREAT movie that you saw?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Art Andrews, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

We have seen a thousands derivatives of "what is your favorite movie" but I am more interested in knowing what was the most recent great movie you saw instead of rehashing the staples.

For me, the last movie that I thought was really impressive was Dredd. It is sad to note that it was 3 years ago... and I haven't seen anything since that I truly thought was great. Dredd was just so simple and direct and had such a concise story, but was executed so well. Unlike so many movies, the female was very well written and was strong without falling into the "Ripley effect." Dredd was great simply because they were brave enough to have him stay in character and never break it. Great stuff!

So, what was the last great movie you saw? Doesn't have to be a recent movie, just that you saw it for the first time recently.

YenChih Lin likes this.
  2. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really enjoyed Birdman. Seemed very fresh and I respect the way in which it was filmed. Felt very much like watching a play.

3. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

Most recently, Edge of Tomorrow, Birdman and Nightcrawler. Loved all three

4. Tyderium

Tyderium Active Member

Drive.

Vacformedhero likes this.
  5. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

It's third act problem disqualifies it from being truly "great," but just re-watched Sunshine the other day and am amazed at how close it does come to being just that.

Solos blaster likes this.
  7. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

It's a shame for a movie fan like me to admit, but I kind of dug the third act. I liked the idea that Pinbacker not only survived the years he was stranded, but that he snuck onto Icarus 2 without anyone noticing.

Last great movie I saw? Birdman. Just the way it was shot felt like a completely different film experience for me. I've seen long shots in movies before, but never to the extent that the whole movie was going to be shot like it. It was exhausting and not in a bad way! And despite the film's obvious hatred towards mainstream movie blockbusters (
    Didn't Alejandro say he hates Super Hero/Comic movies?), it didn't glorify the live theater production by being better in every way. Actors can still be a problem, sets can still be a problem (and even hazardous!) and even the reception can still be a problem.

8. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I would have to say Guardians of the Galaxy.

9. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Empire Strikes Back...

EmmaInCandyland likes this.
  10. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

I know its a bit old, but recently I just saw "Moon" for the first time. I was at the library with my daughter and was browsing the DVD section. I had heard good things about it and thankfully knew very little of the story going in other than the blurb on the back of the DVD.

11. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "great."

Are we talking films I really, really liked? Are we talking films that have artistic merit, even if I might not have personally vibed with them? Are we talking a combination of the two?

12. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

In the theater, Guardians of the Galaxy and Kingsmen. On Amazon I recently watched Letters to Momo and absolutely loved that movie and so did the rest of my family, although a Production IG film it felt, and to a degree, looked like a Miyazaki film.

13. Art Andrews

Films that YOU felt were great.

14. Art Andrews

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

EmmaInCandyland, Nexus6 and Jedifyfe like this.
  15. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I guess I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy. I really enjoyed it, and I thought it was made especially well. Doubly so, considering that the characters themselves were nothing special prior to the film.

Otherwise...hmm......it's honestly been a long time since I saw a truly GREAT film that just hits me across the board, that I think deserves critical acclaim, that resonates with me emotionally but also is objectively well done. On television, though, I find a lot more that I like these days.

I thought the Parks & Recreation finale was absolutely perfect.

16. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just saw that one last week, yeah I know better late than never, and I was completely blown away by the Cinematography, the way it was lit as well as the high speed camera and extreme close ups was effing BRILLIANT!

Loved it so much i have watched 4 times since last Wed.! :lol

I would say the last movie I saw that I thought was really great besides Dredd, was Stephen Chows" Journey to the west"

Art Andrews likes this.
  17. Art Andrews

And this is why I made this thread. Movies I have never even heard of that I will now go and check out!

George likes this.
  18. Apollo

Jedifyfe likes this.
  19. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree with Dredd. It's what Robocop should've been.

20. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The last movie I saw that I HAD to go back to the theater and watch again, was Zombieland. And I generally HATE Zombie movies.

Everything worked. Everything. It also got me running again (cuz cardio, right?)

I always liked Emma Stone, but this cemented my crush.

Bill Murray... proton packs.... laughing at his death.

Real heart... like finding out Woody Harrelson's character lost a son.

And the last sequence wasn't just a bullet blazing bore fest. It was still entertaining.

And really, best of all, these are some of the last remaining humans, so they aren't IDIOTS. They're survivors.

And to give credit to "Jesse Eisenberg, The only other movie I could think of was "The Social Network". Brilliant. Music, directing... WRITING...

"You better lawyer up *******, because I'm not coming back for 30%, I'm coming back for EVERYTHING."

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  21. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I'll also add that I really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow. I thought that was quite well done, although the ending...was a little messy.

22. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oblivion was really great too, different take on a familiar story mixed with amazing effects and stunning cinematography.

Dancer in the Dark is one of my all time favorites, along with Run Lola Run and The Princess and the Warrior.

23. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

East of Eden w/James Dean and the original Planet of the Apes

24. J EM

J EM Well-Known Member

Whiplash

Fun movie. Great acting JK Simmons and a pretty good soundtrack as well. It came out last year but only earlier this year was when I saw it. I liked it so much I bought it on blu ray. Its the first blu ray I've purchased since Skyfall and even then I ended up regretting that buy.

25. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The last movie I saw that I thought was both great on a personal preference and on an artistic level would have to be a small Korean movie I saw on Netflix called Secret Sunshine. Nowadays, I can't help be see in movies what could've been cut or done differently, and though this movie didn't escape my scathing eyes, it did however make me think that what I thought was a negative (it kinda drags at a certain point in the movie) might've actually been intentional to establish the progressing mood of the film. So, on that, I give it high marks, but the selling point of the movie for me, has most certainly got to be the acting from the lead actress. She. Is. Phenomonal. To put it lightly. Her performance is one that I don't think we see a lot in western films and one I'm sure plenty of actresses would kill to try their hand at.

To anyone who hasn't seen it, I say find it and give it a go.

26. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Wow… I think it was "Gone with the Wind" during Christmas - I am no fan of super-old movies (+40 / 50 years) that are older than me, but I really really enjoyed it!
    I always wanted to know, why it is a classic and I wasn't disappointed - at no moment it was boring or had lengths in a scene. The pace was right and that's something for a 4 hours movie!
    It's now a favourite of mine definitely!

27. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great experience: Big Hero 6 (though there are issues)
    Craft: Jiro Dreams of Sushi (so yeah, been a while)
    Short: Dam Keeper

28. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Edge of Tomorrow is the best new movie Ive seen in a while, it pleasantly surprised me!

29. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I don't think great movies are necessarily all that rare. Whiplash was great.

30. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Shaun The Sheep - The Movie.

Philly likes this.
  31. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Some good picks by a few people.

I would have to say "Chicago" Never seen it before until a few days ago. It was one of those that I wanted to see for a long time and always forgot to check it out. Yes, its a musical but i don't care. I've seen a bunch of broadway shows over the years.

Before that I would have to say Black Swan, Die Hard, Fight Club, American history X and Princess Mononoke

32. Xtafa

Xtafa Active Member

Predestination. Watched it for the first time and its the first movie i've seen in a LONG TIME where I've sat there afterwards and just gone "WOW!" and wanted to watch it again.

33. Nth

Nth Well-Known Member

The full Kenshin live action trilogy. Really, really good. One of the best examples of how to turn something animated into live action.

34. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

The Raid 2....just mind blowing action scenes...that make me wonder how there are so many stunt doubles in the film that aren't seriously injured.

35. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

“Dredd” reminded me of an old style John Carpenter film, like “Assault on Precinct 13”, simple story, great anti hero, brutal action. Loved it.
    Which is why I’d recommend “71” to anyone. Its set in Northern Ireland during the troubles and that’s all I’m saying about it. Came out last year here. Just watch it. Gripping stuff.
    I’m not a huge fan of horror but I’d highly recommend “It Follows” ,its just been out here. Again very simple story and creepy premise but it’ll get inside your head and stay there for a while. Not a great date movie though!!!
    This year so far “Kingsman” !!!. Its great to see that after a fairly muted start good word of mouth has kept it going quite strongly at the box office.
    “Edge of Tomorrow” is still the big sci fi favourite last year for me for so many reasons. ANd for shear visual beauty “Gravity” on a 3D Imax screen was simply a stunning experience as yet unbeaten by quite a margin. Forget about it on TV, it’s a pale shadow in comparison.
    I'd have to say overall that there have been more great and good films out these last few years, than good and bad.

36. Philly

Philly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I watched 9 for the first time last week with the kids, it's a great film!

Xtafa likes this.
  37. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Was that released in an Indonesian dub in the U.S.? I've only been able to find it with a crappy English dub. I haven't added it to a disc request on Netflix, but I'd prefer not to if it's just gonna be the same English language track.

38. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

I have it on Blu ray with the Indonesian dub. But I wasn't trying to read during the action scenes. I was really trying to absorb everything that was happening on screen , like in the prison yard scene. It was a very safe story but it was the fights that dialed it to 11!

39. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These movies left a lasting impression:

-Jibeuro
    -House of cards
    -Getting home
    -A Good Life
    -Departures
    -Outsourced

40. Xtafa

Xtafa Active Member

Rewatched 'Upside down' tonight after a rewatch of Predestination. Upside down is a wonderful and under appreciated movie.

41. Apollo

Thats funny. a friend of mine was telling me I have to see that one just last night!

42. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I obviously was quite taken with it!

43. Apollo

So was he! :lol

He asked me if I ever had a music teacher like him, told him worse my Father! :lol

cayman shen likes this.
  44. Brent M

Brent M Sr Member

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I love a well done action movie and it had some of the best action sequences I've seen in a long time.

Zombie_61 and George like this.
  45. Jango Wes

Jango Wes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Savior with Dennis Quaid. It's older, but for me, it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. It puts the atrocities committed during the Bosnian war under a light and puts a human face to them. Believe it or not, despite the content, it has a great story and even better ending.

46. jedichase

jedichase Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Most recent films I've seen that were much better than I thought they would be John Wick, Tusk, and Birdman.

47. HEMADEW

HEMADEW Active Member

What We Do in the Shadows

48. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

'FURY'

49. vintageslant

vintageslant Active Member

Your going to laugh but I watched Alien just 2 days ago. Now here is the funny thing, I don't know if I have ever actually watched it before? For sure I have seen the classic parts but the whole thing hmm not sure. Needless to say I loved it and came straight on here to look up nostromo jackets etc lol. I have had the box set for years but have never opened it. I happened to watch it by trawling lists of 50 greatest movies etc and cherry picking from that. So just as I will cherry pick from this thread I recommend doing the same.

50. sycor

sycor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would honestly say Kingsman. No, it won't win any awards, but man it was fun movie. I never felt bored, the acting was well done, the special effects were good, the fight scenes were well choreographed. Before that was probably Guardians. I haven't had a chance to watch Birdman or Imitation Game yet so one of those could end up at the top of the list.