what is my next step?

binkleywalker

Sr Member
O.K., i've finished my model. Paint is done and water-slide decals are applied. What do i use to seal it all up? Isn't there a spay of some sort i can use to lock it all in?

Helpl!

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Future will work if you want a gloss finish, but for a flat finish you will need something like Testors Dullcote. It all depends on what type of paint you're using and what finish you want.

WAIT!! DO NOT dullcoat directly over your decals, you'll run the risk of silvering them!

This is the order that I apply decals and I've never run into problems since following these steps... I'll try to do a little diagram...

DECALS.bmp

The reason for the over-under use of the glosscoat when applying decals is it gives the decal a smooth surface to adhere to compared to a pitted one with a dullcoat. Then with the glosscoat over the decal you're not trying to dull the decal paper finish either which maximizes surface contact. I still use Micro Set and Micro Sol on the decal, plus with the smooth surface underneath the decal because of the glosscoat it sets even better and lessens the possibility of trapping any air under the decal which causes the silvering....

Don't these "coats" yellow over time?
I have a model that I will be putting the decals on soon & am concerned about this.
BTW that Future site is great.
When I was in the ARMY a guy in my Squad used Future to shine his boots.
That's fine unless it rains ( what are the odds in Lousiana?)
Then they turn white.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Aegis159 wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
WAIT!! DO NOT dullcoat directly over your decals, you'll run the risk of silvering them!

This is the order that I apply decals and I've never run into problems since following these steps... I'll try to do a little diagram...

DECALS.bmp

The reason for the over-under use of the glosscoat when applying decals is it gives the decal a smooth surface to adhere to compared to a pitted one with a dullcoat. Then with the glosscoat over the decal you're not trying to dull the decal paper finish either which maximizes surface contact. I still use Micro Set and Micro Sol on the decal, plus with the smooth surface underneath the decal because of the glosscoat it sets even better and lessens the possibility of trapping any air under the decal which causes the silvering....

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

This was on the Future site;
"Some modelers even apply decals using Future to set the decal. Wet your decal as usual in water, but before it goes to the model, dip it in future. It works well and does away with the need for Micro-Sol/Set or similar setting agent. The only downside I have noted is that the Future goes tacky quite quickly and can cause a few problems if you are still trying to place/adjust the decal at that time. The upside is that it pretty much ensures no silvering. "

For a great Dull Coat try mixing Future with Tamiya Flat Base. I used it on my Fine Molds X-Wing.

JDH

FM7.jpg

slave1pilot wrote:
Don't these "coats" yellow over time?

Yes, they will, most clear coats are yellow based and will yellow over time.
It is just the nature of the beast.
Some Model Master clears are blue based.

Future will yellow over time as well.

I have a 15 year old bottle of Future that I still use to this day and it has yellowed, I just don't use it on anything white.
icon_lol.gif

Lynn

For my overcoats I use a fast drying laquer and they don't yellow anywhere as fast as the enamels do, but yes as Lynn said they will in time. There are a couple of things you can do to lessen the yellowing though.

1. NO DIRECT SUNLIGHT Hehehe I put that one in bold because it's the most important one. Nothing will yellow the finish faster than letting the piece get exposed to the sun for any length of time.

2. Dust often!! Dust particles will start to imbed themselves in the finish if left unchecked so dust often!!

slave1pilot wrote:
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Aegis159 wrote:

DECALS.bmp

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

This was on the Future site;
"Some modelers even apply decals using Future to set the decal. Wet your decal as usual in water, but before it goes to the model, dip it in future. It works well and does away with the need for Micro-Sol/Set or similar setting agent. The only downside I have noted is that the Future goes tacky quite quickly and can cause a few problems if you are still trying to place/adjust the decal at that time. The upside is that it pretty much ensures no silvering. "

Yes the Future will set the decal like Micro Set will... HOWEVER it does NOT make the decal conform to details on the body such as rivets or dip into recessed panel lines like Micro Sol does. Future WILL minimize the chance of silvering drastically, mainly because you're sealing the decal in the Future if you dip it in.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back