wh1plash's Han in Carbonite build

wh1plash

I've been taking pics along the way, but just haven't really started a build thread yet. Thought I'd go ahead and show off what I've got so far.

Started with the casting from King Jawa, which is awesome

IMG_2334.jpg

And of course the box kit from zenix:

IMG_2199.jpg

Obligatory pic:
IMG_2354.jpg

I just laid the box frame down on top of some super-thin plywood, and used it as a template to cut the plywood to size.

IMG_2356.jpg

By doing it upside down like that, I made sure that the backing cross pieces were in just the right place so the face would lay flush with the outer box.

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

You can see I also used wood filler to fill the joints and to smooth where the angled sides hit the face frame. If I was doing another one, i'd skip this and just do it later when I start hitting the Bondo. I heard enough people try the glue method and then switch to Bondo for the surround, so I just sent that way from the start. Glad that I did.

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

Basically just painted it on like a cake, and then used a super-coarse pad on an orbital sander to take down the tops of the ridges. You can see the flat parts where that started to happen here:

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg

Started to hit it with some primer, just because I was starting to obsess over the perfection of the patches on the seams. I figure by making it a uniform color, I'd see if it camo'd sufficiently.

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

Here's another mod that I went with also. I was trying to keep the 2x4 wood bracing inside to a minimum for the purposes of weight. I noticed though that by standing it up and laying it down a few times, I started to see some cracks in Han's chest seam. Need to beef it up along the long-side. So I got some aluminum stock (had it left over from my E-11 build), and used that Liquid Nails to put long pieces down the long side.

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

Worked perfect, basically no flex now in that direction, and WAY lighter than using some heavy structural wood. 10/10, would buy again!

And now to patch those cracks. Again, starting to get OCD about it, and I think its kind of like soldering: the more you mess with it, the worse it gets.

IMG_2467.jpg

My garage is a 3-single door layout, so I used one of the bays to build a makeshift paint booth. Really just shooting it outside wasn't working because of the wind. Used the garage door rails to hang the plastic, and used duct tape to seal it up.

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

Last edited:
So here's where things started to get really annoying. The first paint that I used was a Rustoleum metallic, and it really turned out bad. The paint seems to separate quickly in the can, and the "metallic" parts are some type of gritty substrate in the mixture. When spraying it over large areas, I didn't get a uniform dispersement of that metallic particles, so I got some areas that would get bursts of it, looking like sections that were rough or poorly sanded (which was stupid, because the MDF is ultra-smooth to start). Overall, looked like I had built the frame out of rough fence pickets. I didn't even post any pics, because it annoyed me so bad. That, coupled with the 100+ degree temps we had, I put the project on hold for a couple weeks.

So when I came back to it, I brought the whole thing back down with an orbital sander.

IMG_2478.jpg

Now I had eaten into the MDF a bit in places, so it really was rough in spots. So I ended up doing a Bondo skim over the ENTIRE BOX. Yep, you heard that right.

IMG_2583.jpg

But after spending all that time and hitting it with primer again, now it was awesomely smooth again:

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

About this time, I got the awesome volvo panels from BigTurc:

IMG_2477.jpg

After cleanup and painting, they look great. Yes, I know its not screen-accurate, but I went with Rustoleum "Flat Chestnut". Breaks up the silver/grey, adds some contrast, and the tad bit of bronze I think is perfect. This pic is pretty accurate to how it actually looks.

IMG_2631.jpg

Got a roll of aluminum flashing and started going to town. First I cut a template off one of the panels, and then cut 8 aluminum backs. Then I noticed Turc must have been casting these from multiple molds, so there's a tad bit of variance on the back side where you don't see. No problem, but I wish I had realized before I spent all the time cutting those 8 sheets JUST right.

IMG_2642.jpg

I tried Liquid Nails, but it was too hard to clamp and keep it from getting messy. Decided to order a roll of 3M VHB tape, and that's really the only solution I'd recommend.

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

Last edited:
If the cracking persists I would remove the bondo from the seam and use epoxy putty instead.

Yeah, I think I keep sanding the Bondo down so close to the rest of Han's body, that it gets too thin to really hold. I think I'm going to take your advice on that epoxy putty.

Looks great so far. This is bringing back memories of my build. So much fun! Great photos and great documentation.

Nice job.

Subscribed!

How did you cut out those small windows on the panels?

Do you mean the long narrow holes in the volvo panels, like where the turn signals go? Like I mentioned, Turc's volvo panels actually have more than one mold. For one of them, I was able to drill some holes and then just get in there with needle-nose pliers and pop it like this:

IMG_2626.jpg

The filler was thin enough that it broke in a clean line. For the other one, that filler was too thick, so I just went with a Dremel tool. Used the straight drill bit-like wood cutting bit, then cleaned it up with the sanding wheel bit.

Hey thanks, you guys! This is my first 'real' build thread on this forum (other than the simple E-11 I did a couple months ago). QCWolf, your build thread is really what sent me over the edge to actually put in the orders for these parts and dive in.

Looks really great. There is ALWAYS something that goes wrong. On mine I poured WAY too much wood glue in and had to dump it out and use Bondo.

Your texture looks great as does the color. Are you going to round over the edges with a router?

Are you going to round over the edges with a router?

It would be cool, but at this point I don't think I'm going to tackle it. I had to deal with the MDF fuzziness when I had to CTRL-Z that bad paint job, and now I've got a nice, uniform, smooth bondo shell over the whole thing. I think I'd cry if I took powertools to it again.

I love a good HIC build and yours is looking great! I'm so glad that you're taking on this project. It's fun to see how everyone builds theirs. I'm actually gearing up to start a second one on commission.

Jason

Looking good! I like how you did the texturing, I haven't gotten to that part of my build yet but I may do it this way.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back