Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS!

Re: Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS

Here was my entry. With a little cover letter:

32_coverletter.jpg

32_steer1small.jpg

32_steer2small.jpg

32_steer3small.jpg

Re: Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS

WHOA!! Playskool2000 gets my vote! No contest! So clean and excellent aesthetics. I love the grenade design too. Grordbort perfection.

Very nice playskool2000. I like how you removed the major feature of the fin but suggest it with the angle of the focusing chamber, and then bring the fin back into the grenades in a functional way. Subtle.

Love the evil monkey :D Looks like something from the world of Hellboy.

These are all really great! I'd like to put my entry into the fray as well...

-Jon

Boomin' Bessie: The Amplified Aural Annihilator

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

Thanks! There's a lot of amazing works here. The cool thing about the Grordbort universe is that it has a number of different design elements at work. And everyone seems to have picked up on different things. There's the Victorian "steampunk" kind of look, like the Mongoose and Unnatural Selector. Then there's the Deco, Flash Gordon-y kind of look, like the Pomson 6000 or Pearce 75. Then there's the turn-of-the-century industrial design sort of look like the Goliathon and Manmelter. And some WWI weaponry influence in there too.

I decided to go with the industrial kind of look and added a little WWI aesthetic in there as well.

:eek Playskool 2000 , you did the most beautiful raygun I 've ever seen !

All is perfect and , in my opinion, you have perfectly cacht the spirit of Dr Grordbort 's univers !

Congratulation man, and thanks to show us this awesome piece of art !:thumbsup

Last edited:

yup, playskool2000...lovely. I'm loving it from stem to stern. Nice.

Man, there is a lot of nice work on here but.... Playskool's design just blows it out of the water for me. It truly seems to "fit" the Weta style but at a whole new level of cool.

I dont want to start picking sides...but playskool2000 yours is my winner so far!

Minifig

At the risk of redundancy, your design is superb Playskool. Total transformation of the original, excellent fidelity to the universe, superb fit and finish. Amazingly done indeed.

Thanks again. You know, we've all become so intimately familiar with the minor details of this gun that I'm finding it very entertaining to see what people did with the same components I had. A lot of "I wish I'd thought of that!" moments :)

Man, I am so tired of "Bad Steampunk" because most practitioners kinda weak out on the stuff.
A gear or watch face glued to a derby is not cool or impressive.

ALL OF THESE WEAPONS ARE GOOD STEAMPUNK.

There is some great looking stuff in this thread. Congrats folks.

Laffo.

Wow!!!! You guys did some amazing work! While I agree Playschool nailed it (your photography is amazing!) I still say the jury is out...so many awesome designs! And I had no idea of the scale of the walking machine till I saw it in your driveway...you are insane! Well done everyone! Wish I could have gotten around to making mine, but even if I had, the talent here would have blown me away!

Some more very keen variants. It's interesting how the ontest splits into the "whimsical" and the "realistic" raygun concepts. The Indelible Steer is an excellent example of the latter with a top notch presentation too (mine makes me :sick). It could easily be in the Weta line, great military version.

Boomin' Bessie is very cool too, nice turn of the century vibe. Where'd you get the cables please, I've been looking for something like those.

Do you think Weta would be interested in offering the naked Bison for modding as a regular item perhaps unassembled and just in a plain box? This contest makes me want to do some more, even a painted one for an art/charity event like the Vader helmets.

Playskool-Freakin' Kool! Very nice job!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back