Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS!

Re: Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS

I present my entry. "Tesla's Tetracerus- The Teleforce Death Ray"
Well, that makes me feel inadiquite. :confused

If I would have know that they make smaller ones I would have tried them. :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS

It's all going to come down to paint!
I'm all primed and have lots of little "add-ons" once it's painted, but the basic form is done and ready for color. The only part not shown is a hatch on the top which mimics the "fin" from from the gun. This has been a blast to work on!

2964153740101109960S600x600Q85.jpg

2076379670101109960S600x600Q85.jpg

And here I was whining to myself about where to keep my "colossal" Buffalo Jump rifle. Egad man!

Hey...Just wondering...
Sent my email through on the 29th [NZ time]. Have you received it?

Man, if you get that whole thing painted by tomorrow, I think you deserve a special award!

It's all going to come down to paint!
I'm all primed and have lots of little "add-ons" once it's painted, but the basic form is done and ready for color. The only part not shown is a hatch on the top which mimics the "fin" from from the gun. This has been a blast to work on!

2964153740101109960S600x600Q85.jpg

2076379670101109960S600x600Q85.jpg

Got mine finished today and managed to get it photographed but heres a teaser just now:

valves.jpg

Just got back from holiday and managed to take some very dodgy photos...

but that's it, my entry has been sent and hopefully received!

All the best everyone.

minifig

I had so much fun building my rifle

Last edited:

Hey, pyxl how big is this device? Wow!

To the light using guys - darn, I gotta learn lighting. Where do you get mini plasma globes? I'm new to the board, joined for the contest but I think I'll be hanging around here more often. Such great creations.

Well quite frankly the last few pages have been a cavalcade of unrestrained brilliance. I apologise most profusely for defiling this thread with my somewhat unfinished efforts...

The Yelping Yak (from the lovely sound that a properly tuned brass resonance multiplier makes as four GigaDoyles of impertinent plamsa makes it way from the collimation field)

The only thing I have in my favour is my potential winning entry for the "worst injury suffered whilst modifying a Righteous Bison" prize. (NSFW, or those with a weak stomach) :cry

Ouch! I think I strained my neck cutting stencils while ducked under the barrel of mine because it took up the whole workbench, but you win, man. Dremel get away on you? Hope it's all cosmetic meat damage and no nerves got hit.

Oh, and Zombie Killer, I really dig the little pistol. Did you mold the Bison or did you just pick up that many to muck around with? Makes me want to find one of those little plasma balls and give that a go too.

QM, the globes can be found on ebay. I was looking for a big one to do a My science project prop and freaked when i saw the small ones.

Lurksmith, thanks!! I bought one bison and molded just the grip for a forward grip. I cast 2 in case i messed one up. Since i didn't mess it up i decided to use it and all the extra parts for the plasma pistol. I still have one bison part left so i will do a custom plasma sonic screwdriver and use it there. It will only be done end of the week though, i am waiting for a part for it.

Dremel get away on you? Hope it's all cosmetic meat damage and no nerves got hit.
Nah, I was going full on with this one - a dremel wouldn't have cut it! (hah hah) I was cutting out the disc of brass that's at the front of the body, the one that you can't even see in those photos (sheesh), with a 24v drill and a holesaw. I was holding it down with my hand, so when the holesaw grabbed the brass sheet and span it round my fingers were the first thing that got hit.

I've been very lucky though, as there's possibly no long term damage. No nerve damage, no tendon damage, and the severed artery might even heal up. I've got a small numb patch where the flap of skin has been folded back down, but if that's the limit of the damage then I'll count my blessings...

Wow. Some amazing entries coming in!

I had a funny thought last night as I was working on the final weathering, picturing all the other people round the world rushing to get their rayguns finished too.

Anyway, here's mine, The B-Fin Black Beam Source:

sm_b-fin_knightjar_right.jpg

sm_b-fin_knightjar_left.jpg

sm_b-fin_knightjar_three_quarter.jpg

Knightjar, I want to say something high-minded about cohesive design elements and how you incorporated the curves and the bison form throughout, but my lizard brain keeps overriding with "coooool!"

Really unique, love the cylinder!

Finishing mine tonight!

One fun little thing I have in the cockpit of the robot with my pilot is a miniature version of the raygun sized for him...Never sculpted in miniature before...and it shows.
2677638010101109960S600x600Q85.jpg

I am so glad I'm not one of the judges.
In comparison, their job of judging seems harder than our job of modding. These guns are gorgeous!!

Does anyone have any helpful photo tips... all the color is washing out on my pics

Does anyone have any helpful photo tips... all the color is washing out on my pics

Do you have your entry in too much light? You can always set your camera to manual and roll down the shutter a bit. Not only will it make the photo darker and have a greater depth of field, but some also feel that the smaller the shutter, the more saturation you will have.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back