watching "Alien" with my 10 year old

This little guy right here -
trilogy-of-terror-zuni-bath.jpg

screwed me up more than any movie I saw at the theater - my theory of loving parents is tossed right out the window when it came to this little maniac

My 10 year old has seen all the aliens/predator stuff. He loves it
Just cover his eyes when the nudy stuff happens. He knows
It's all fake. But don't want the sexual stuff brought up yet . But
You have to know your kid.

This little guy right here -
trilogy-of-terror-zuni-bath.jpg

screwed me up more than any movie I saw at the theater - my theory of loving parents is tossed right out the window when it came to this little maniac

ok so I found the name of that movie from the url and then looked it up. Sounds interesting.

apparently you aint alone when it comes to being scared from that little voodoo guy :confused

I think the biggest thing that helped me overcome my fears back in the day with horror movies was my parents explaining that the monster isn't real, it's a man in a halloween suit. I think kids have it a bit easier these days because the new monsters are CGI and kids are actually pretty smart nowadays when it comes to CGI vs Practical.

That's what freaked me out as a kid and I loved it because these guys were in suits, something you can actually touch and see which added to the realism.

If a kid is comfortable enough, and with people that can protect them, they should be alright with scary movies. I know I have plans to show my little niece horror movies when she's a little older. But i'll start with the silly horror movies and work my way up.

Believe it or not, Creepshow is the first movie that thoroughly freaked me out as a kid. It was the segment with the creature that got released from the crate and started killing people... primarily because you didn't actually SEE the whole creature, so my imagination took what it was given and RAN with it... all the way to sleeping-with-the-light-on land. :lol

The only film that ever really freaked me out as a kid was the "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" segment of the Twilight Zone film.

I don't recall when I first saw the Alien films (along with Terminator, Predator, the Exorcist, and Poltergeist) but I was pretty young.

I do recall that for some odd reason, we had to watch The Exorcist and Poltergeist in our high school Biology class.
Don't ask me why as I have NO clue. :lol

I think different things effect people in a unique way. Aliens never bothered me, however,
the ghost in Sixth Sense scared the crap out of me. Slasher movies had little effect, where-as seeing Jason's reflecting in a mirror or his masked face highlighted standing in a corner had me double taking every dark shadow at night. Now I run a Haunted Attraction and build props. Go figure.

I think different things effect people in a unique way. Aliens never bothered me, however,
the ghost in Sixth Sense scared the crap out of me. Slasher movies had little effect, where-as seeing Jason's reflecting in a mirror or his masked face highlighted standing in a corner had me double taking every dark shadow at night. Now I run a Haunted Attraction and build props. Go figure.

DUDE! The scene where Cole is locked in the little cubby and all you hear is him screaming in terror... dear GOD, I can barely stand to watch that!

This is my daughter... She's been costuming with the UKCM since she was 5 or 6, and loves her Uncle Abe the Alien!

66154_1239897015380_1767941723_415747_5440469_n.jpg

She, and her little brother, love the Alien movies - and they know fine well that all the effects are just that. They're interested in how creatures are made, and they enjoy watching DVD special features, as well as the films themselves.
They know fake blood when they see it, and they're fully aware of how wrong violence is ( As well as when NOT to swear. Bad language in films, to me, is not a reason not to let kids see something - Have you ever HEARD kids talking in a school playground?! I used to take a notepad every time I pick mine up after classes, so I'd have some new choice insults for the pub at the weekend! I now take a dictionary as well. )

Anyway - Alien movies for kids?
Supervised during viewing ( At least the first time.. )

Not inappropriate in the slightest.

Little ones don't belong in the theater for those movies. :)

Yeah. Do you know how much noise they make when they start crying and gurgling out loud? Darn kids always ruin the movie for me. But not me! I saw Total Recall in the theaters opening day when I was six and I was a smiling fool. Of course, that implant machine scared me to death.

I showed my 8 year old son terminator 2 last year and he is completely in love with it. Just this weekend he saw terminator 1. His mother is very angry with me for showing them these movies, because she thinks they're inapropriate.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back