watching "Alien" with my 10 year old

I remember seeing Alien 3 in the theater (a drive-in!) when I was 9 and loving it. We talk about it being a bad series for kids, but I remember all of those Aliens/Colonial Marines toys being advertised in the 90's.

I owned every last one of those toys including that mail away for clear predator! I miss the snake alien one the most.

alien 3 was and im sure still is (i have not seen it since it opened)horrible as i remember it,i guess it would not have been as bad if i had not read the six issue mini series from dark horse comics back in the day

The Alien movies are rated M15+ over here. I'm not a parent yet, but I don't think I'd let a young kid watch them, particularly 3 and 4. I don't know if society has changed, but those movies would have scared the crap out of me as a 10 year old. I saw Poltergeist for my 13th birthday and STILL don't think that it was an appropriate movie for me to see at that age!

Mike

im in my 40's and seriously i still have anxiety attacks because of this movie, i refuse to watch it now

The Alien movies are rated M15+ over here. I'm not a parent yet, but I don't think I'd let a young kid watch them, particularly 3 and 4. I don't know if society has changed, but those movies would have scared the crap out of me as a 10 year old. I saw Poltergeist for my 13th birthday and STILL don't think that it was an appropriate movie for me to see at that age!

No offence intended, but I'm a little disturbed by this. I just think there is plenty of other quality, age appropriate movies for kids to enjoy rather than adult level horror, gore and concepts. Each to their own.

Mike

My older sisters took me to see Poltergeist when I was 11. They didn't know how scary it would be. I had to sleep in my parents room for over a week and I started getting bouts of insomnia and started sleepwalking. I watched old FX movies like King Kong, Godzilla, Planet of the Apes etc. and I was fine, but I never got into horror.

It dusturbs me a bit when I see parents bring really young kids (like under 8 yrs old) into violent R rated films in the theater, but again - to each their own.

My mom was a pretty big spaz when it came to movies. She wouldn't even let me and my sister see "The Mask" with Jim Carrey because she deemed it too scary but I managed to talk my dad into taking us and I loved it.

First time I saw Aliens, it scared the living **** out of me. I wasn't the type of kid to have nightmares from those types of movies, just freaked me out. Kinda funny though being such a scaredy cat when I was younger because now I'm a huge horror buff.

My uncle decided to show my cousin and I The Exorcist when I was five. Now that to me is a bit much. I "watched" 90% of it with my hands over my eyes and I can't even remember how many nights I had nightmares after that.

Alien at 10? I think I saw Alien and Aliens around the age of 8 and I loved them. I believe I had seen Halloween (the edited TV version) by the age of 9. My mother was a big horror movie fan back in those days and even dropped me at the theater to see Halloween 4 when I was 10.

It dusturbs me a bit when I see parents bring really young kids (like under 8 yrs old) into violent R rated films in the theater, but again - to each their own.

I think most of us can agree on not letting young kids see them in the theater. You cannot control how your child might react to the subject matter and that can have a negative impact on the experience on others. Watching them at home is a different story though and I see nothing wrong with it since different kids will handle the "scariness" differently. I know adults who still cannot watch something like Alien while younger kids love it.

My uncle decided to show my cousin and I The Exorcist when I was five. Now that to me is a bit much.

I saw that around the same age!:lol It was a double feature with the Reincarnation of Peter Proud -

I saw Alien at the movie theatre when I was 8 - I remember going down the street to tell all my friends how great it was and none of their parents would even let them go near that movie - lucky for them I purchased the picture book a few weeks later.

My aunt took me, my cousin and few other family members to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show when I was 9 - I had no idea what the hell was going on in that movie - but I remember digging it. The music, Frank-N-Furter - all of it was funny as heck to me.

I wrote another thread earlier about how I woke up to find my daughter up at 3 am with her ear infection watching Interview with a Vampire - she's 6. i immediately turned it off to much protest. She went on and on about how that was her new favorite movie. What can you do?

I actually sat down and edited Robocop so my son could watch it when he was 7 - when he was 9 he came to me and said "Dad, did you know in Robocop he kills the bad guy with that Wolverine claw he has -! I don't remember that happening."

I saw that around the same age!:lol It was a double feature with the Reincarnation of Peter Proud -

I saw Alien at the movie theatre when I was 8 - I remember going down the street to tell all my friends how great it was and none of their parents would even let them go near that movie - lucky for them I purchased the picture book a few weeks later.

My aunt took me, my cousin and few other family members to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show when I was 9 - I had no idea what the hell was going on in that movie - but I remember digging it. The music, Frank-N-Furter - all of it was funny as heck to me.

I wrote another thread earlier about how I woke up to find my daughter up at 3 am with her ear infection watching Interview with a Vampire - she's 6. i immediately turned it off to much protest. She went on and on about how that was her new favorite movie. What can you do?

I actually sat down and edited Robocop so my son could watch it when he was 7 - when he was 9 he came to me and said "Dad, did you know in Robocop he kills the bad guy with that Wolverine claw he has -! I don't remember that happening."
how long was robo cop after the editing?

i agree that kids should not be thrown in to the world of horror with knowing the kid in question.i never show my daughter a movie with out watching it first.when freddy vs.jason came out i took my wife to see it and we were shocked by how many kids were in the theater (with there parents),one couple had a child that looked to me to be around 2 years old.now that i totally disagree with .

I watched the Alien series the same time the figures were out, same as Predator. So...1992 according to the internet... I would have been 7, and I think I turned out alright.

Its scary and gory to us, but at that age, watching Alien3 or even the original, unless you've had a lot of folks die by then, you really don't understand the concept. I remember thinking they just were transformed into an Alien, not killed. Took a few years for the reality of that to set in.

My five year old son has watched all 4 Alien films with me as well as predator 1,2 and predators (Predators in the theater) :). And AvP 1 &2.

I saw the Alien films around the same age...he loves them.

I do however employ the old hands over eyes trick during certain scenes.

No offense, man, but it's parents like you that make me give 99% of my movie-going business to a 21 and over only theater. Little ones don't belong in the theater for those movies. :)

how long was robo cop after the editing?

About an hour.:lol I also bleeped out a ton of dialogue. My son had no idea the cop at the beginning was Robocop. :lol

Even though some of us may not agree with the choices of others - I truly believe as long as the child has loving parents or one loving parent and their home is filled with love and they feel safe - they can watch all kinds of scary stuff and be "okay".

We got cable tv when I was 8 and back then (maybe others remember this) showtime would only run two movies a day - I remember for a while it was Logan's Run and Lipstick. I watched Logan's Run so much I had it memorized - I snuck up one night and started watching Lipstick - granted, I didn't understand everything (specifically when the guy was on Margo Hemmingway's back taking her to brown town) but I only made it a a little ways into that movie and then turned it off because it was so brutal. Even at that young age I knew the difference between fantasy and what could happen - I never liked seeing people get hurt.

No offense, man, but it's parents like you that make me give 99% of my movie-going business to a 21 and over only theater. Little ones don't belong in the theater for those movies. :)

No offense taken. :) My boy is an unique sort. I was myself raised on horror movies. It's really the only genre that I would read or watch when I was a young child.

Hmmmm, Kind of agree and dont agree with all this. So I'll shut up.

That said Jaws screwed me up till I was about 34, I sat on the front row of the cinema with my grampa when I was 5 or so.

I saw an Arena Special (TV Documentary) about the making of Alien when I was 7, it was late, I was in a caravan on holiday & it made me cry I was that scared.

"On Holiday in the Lake District, no-one can hear you scream"

I agree that you should know your child enough to understand what they can handle. My parents took me to see Raiders when it first came out in theaters in '81 when I was about 5. I was thoroughly freaked out by the scene where Marion winds up surrounded by skeletons. However, a few years later, I was staying up late to sneak viewings of Terminator and RoboCop on cable and I, more or less, turned out okay.

I think the difference is the immersiveness of the theater experience. It's easier to not be so freaked out by scary stuff when you're in your own living room with your family right there with you.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back