Was Avengers, Now Stealth Captain America w/ Magnetic shield

A few big changes on post #19

Hello!

I am so glad to finally get this up here! This project has been on the drawing board for almost 6 months now… way too long in my book but I have officially started. This might be a long project so hang in there.

Here are my plans so far-

Shield:​
Hoping to make this shield out of wonderflex.
I’m using wonderflex for its durability and weight (plus I don’t think anyone has done this before). My plan is to have an aluminum skeleton sandwiched between various layers of wonderflex. On this skeleton will be a metal plate that is attracted to a giant magnet placed on the body (more on that later).
IMG_4740.jpg

Helmet:​
Due to time and money, I went the easy route for this part. I ended up buying a rubber helmet from ebay thinking it was going to be a dud and it turned out to be great! IMG_3721.jpgIMG_3719.jpg
It just needed some trimming and some future gluing and it’ll do just fine.

Gloves:​
I’m thinking of a two different options for these.
1- Sew myself (least preferred)
2- Buy gloves (motorcycle/military/form fitting/basic) and paint and modify what I need to

I’ve been on the lookout for similar gloves but with no luck. If anyone knows of any cheap ‘similar looking’ (doesn’t have to be screen accurate) gloves please tell me!

Boots:​
Again, I’ve got a few options…
1- buy military type boots, paint and modify
2- paint and modify my old snow boots (least preferred)
3- look online for similar costume boots then, paint and modify as needed

For the boot covers I plan to freehand with foam and paint as I did with my iron man suit. I like the final color of my iron man, so (hoping it matches the red fabric) I will probably do the same thing for the arm guards.

Suit:​
This is where it gets tricky. I’ve never sewn before….
But I learn quickly and I’m hoping to get advice from family. I plan to use ‘duck cloth’ for the entirety of the suit. I’m choosing this because I think it gives a similar look to Cap’s suit in the movie and again, I don’t think anyone has tried using this before (I’m not completely sure about this but if you know of any that use duck cloth, I’d love to see how it turned out). If anyone has worked with duck cloth before, any tips for a newbie? Here are the colors I’ve found locally:
IMG_3671.jpgIMG_3670.JPG

As far as ‘layout’ goes this is what I’ve got so far:
IMG_4743.jpgIMG_4744.jpg

For the pattern I was thinking a bit extreme. I'm planning to make a duct tape mannequin type mold of my torso, then I'll draw on the shapes and cut those out. From there its similar to a foam pep piece. Trace, cut, then assemble. I hope this technique works but I haven't seen anyone who has tried this for fabric... Does anyone know if this will work?

Shield harness:​
MAGNETS!! Yes, I am going to use magnets! Back from my years as a young magician (long story) I’ve acquired a very large magnet that has earned the nickname “B.A.M” (Big Ass Magnet). It measures and 2in x 2in x .5in and pulls at about 55lbs. To go along with that, I’ve ordered two more that have the same dimensions but pull at about 105 lbs each.

Remember when I said there was a metal plate on the shield? That is actually going to completely replace the upper forearm strap on the shield. I’ll have one magnet under the sleeve (magicians magnet+under the sleeve= tricks up my sleeve… made me laugh… never mind) of the suit to attach to the metal plate on the shield. This is beneficial in a few ways.
1- Fast on and off; from hand to arm, catch to arm, arm to throw, etc
2- Easy quick storage (tested the magnet idea with a quick foam shield) Can be hung on the back very quickly and also hung off of the elbow magnet without holding the front handle
The other magnet will be in a harness under the suit on my back for hanging the shield. I’ve created some test straps to map out where I want to have the magnet and so far they look promising. I 3d printed a bracket for the magnet to sit in while in use (possibly the same for both the arm and back or maybe two different models).
IMG_4682.jpg

Belt:​
This should be a pretty easy piece. I’m thinking the duck cloth will encase either thin foamies or maybe even layer over itself for thickness and durability. The pouches will clasp either magnetically or with Velcro so I can still use them with gloves on.
IMG_4745.jpg

Fitness!​
This is something I think is really important and I see getting overlooked a lot! (Not that everyone has to look a certain way to dress up like certain characters, I just want to see people give more effort into making it as close as possible)(I was super happy to see all the ‘spider-man fitness’ threads. Great Job guys!)
I have decided to put on some weight to get up to the size (or hopefully close to it) of Chris Evans during filming. Turns out I am the exact height of Chris so I think I will look pretty close at my goal weight of 200 (that’s what I hear he was for filming but everyone says different numbers…). I dropped weight a little for my Iron Man suit so I am starting a little behind but this time, I’m really getting serious. I’ve started up at a local gym and am taking some powders to help me get up there fast. So far I’ve put on 15 pounds in about 2 months
IMG_4502.JPG
(sorry for the blurry picture).

So far that’s what I’ve got cooking. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions, please share! I love to see things from different eyes and enjoy hearing new ideas.

Last edited:
Re: Avengers Captain America w/ Magnetic shield

Looks like you are off to a good start.
Really interested in your shield idea.
Cotton duck is easy to work with. Used it for my first Cap Uniform and I don't know how to sew either.
You have the right idea just draw stuff out and it will help you figure out how things go together.
I used brown packing paper to make patterns I pulled from a BDU uniform.

Sounds awesome so far. I agree with you on the fitness part. Even though some people aren't able to do it. But those that can should give it a go as I believe it's part of the costume.

I've been trying to come up with ideas on how to mount my shield to my back with a magnet but I can't seem to find any near a big enough size. Any chance you can give me info on the type you're using? (name, place to buy etc)

Thanks alot. I'll keep an eye on this thread too!

Yep Evans is no more than 200 lbs, at his height and leanness evan is between 180-200 lbs, haven't really seen how he looks since the first movie. But he's around there.

Good start. I think you got the right Ideas going with the costume. I like the idea of your magnet. As far as using the duct tape mannequin, it may be a wast of your time. I would just use a paper pattern and hold it up to your self or another article of clothing to get a similar fit. Your idea will work, it is what designers do but then once they put it on the model there is a lot of tweaking.

Good start. I think you got the right Ideas going with the costume. I like the idea of your magnet. As far as using the duct tape mannequin, it may be a wast of your time. I would just use a paper pattern and hold it up to your self or another article of clothing to get a similar fit. Your idea will work, it is what designers do but then once they put it on the model there is a lot of tweaking.

So, do you think the duct tape model will work with a lot of tweaking? I wouldn't mind doing some tweaking after the suit is together, as long as it doesn't get to pricey...

Sounds awesome so far. I agree with you on the fitness part. Even though some people aren't able to do it. But those that can should give it a go as I believe it's part of the costume.

I've been trying to come up with ideas on how to mount my shield to my back with a magnet but I can't seem to find any near a big enough size. Any chance you can give me info on the type you're using? (name, place to buy etc)

Thanks alot. I'll keep an eye on this thread too!

The magnet site I went to for some reason has two names... Magnet4less and Applied Magnets. This is the specific magnet I bought: cPath_5 | products_id_65 | Rare Earth Magnets 2 in x 2 in x 1/2 in Strong Neodymium Block N42 - Applied Magnets & WindMax Wind Turbines

The way I see it, If your shield is light enough, magnets are the best way to get the 'hollywood magic' in a real setting. Me using the magnet in place of the upper strap was an accidental idea but turned out to be great for speed and weight. I just hope the Wonderflex will work out okay for the large dome

So, do you think the duct tape model will work with a lot of tweaking? I wouldn't mind doing some tweaking after the suit is together, as long as it doesn't get to pricey.../QUOTE]
yes I think it will work just fine. The pricey part, in my opinion, is the mannequin its self with material and time. but if that helps you see the changes you need to make or the piece you need to cut then by all means do it.

Got some work done on the shield frame. I'll narrate as we go along:

IMG_4401.jpgIMG_4403.JPG
These are the aluminum pieces to make up the shields 'frame.' I hand drew a template for the curve and curved them by hand (and by knee, and by head... basically anything round that was near me)
IMG_4753.jpg
Put a few rivets in to hold it but later realized I had access to a better option...

IMG_4755.jpgIMG_4758.jpg
Hooray for welding!

IMG_4759.jpgHad to shorten the limbs because the diameter came to 29" (was my original dimension but then found out the movie shield were closer to 26")
Then we measured and riveted a steel rectangle exactly where the magnet would need to attach
IMG_4768.jpg

Next up was the handle....
I thought it was a good idea to do a rigid handle vs. a flexible one for the possible throwing of the shield in the future.... In my head it went well but every time I hang the shield on my back the aluminum handle whacks my lower spine... Not fun... But i'll show you anyways
IMG_4772.JPGIMG_4780.jpg
It turned out like a sideways letter D. I figured I will cut off the outter-most section leaving the inner section for a future flexible handle to screw into.

IMG_4781.JPG
So there it is so far! I also have some steel wire to bend and attach to the tips of each limb to give it a solid 26" circle at the base. I'll get that done soon.

I was also thinking about attaching a metal bolt for use with the winter soldier bracket I see all over the TWS threads. Does any one know any good dimensions for this peg? I would like it to be a solid attachment on the frame so it has to go in before the plastic (might as well attach it now while I have access to the frame, in case I ever want to use a TWS bracket). The bracket will probably be 3D printed so it would be easy to tweak the bracket for the bolt but I'd like to hear anything from those who have used the bracket system.

P.S. I've been looking into the gloves and boots. I may have found some good boots so i'll upload some pictures soon and see what you all think

Last edited:

IMG_3739.JPG
These were going for really cheap in a local payless so I decided to grab them while I could. I think these will do great for the base of the boot since all that will be seen is the sole and a bit of the toe and heel sections. Not exact, but pretty close.

I also went out on a whim and quickly got some gloves that were on sale. I've seen another thread here that has used the same gloves (smooth leather; the ones I bought are 'perforated') and they looked really good.
81OoKKg-pYL._SY500_.jpg 81gDif-YPXL._SL1500_.jpg
It has the knuckle insert and what I think is a similar looking palm side so hopefully they turn out ok with some leather paint and small accents here and there.

I hope you plan on posting a video showing how well the magnets work in interacting with the shield, both on your arm and on your back. :thumbsup

Dude amazing job putting on the weight to look more like Captain America.

You should really start your own fitness thread to share your workout/diet for the role cause it's clearly working out for you.

Dude amazing job putting on the weight to look more like Captain America.

You should really start your own fitness thread to share your workout/diet for the role cause it's clearly working out for you.

I agree! :D

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Just a small update...

I put a strip of aluminium around the limbs to create a perimeter. Its about 1/2" thick and needed a bit more than 6' in length (that's why there is an extra section on the inner side of the circle).
IMG_4855.jpgIMG_4856.JPG

This one is a little dark but it shows the approximate size a little better.
IMG_4857.jpg

Last edited:

Hi, Don't think anyone asked yet, what is your head circumference? I might buy the same helmet if it fits..

Hi, Don't think anyone asked yet, what is your head circumference? I might buy the same helmet if it fits..

Its pretty stretchy and fits me with the slightest bit of extra space (I also think I have a pretty big head). I'll measure as soon as I get the chance.

I've run into some problems with the shield. I tried to lay the first layer of plastic and it turns out the shield makes more of an egg shape. I think it could be because the limbs centers are not exactly in the same spot, but never fear! I have some ideas brewing to overcome this obstacle. I've also had a few changes to my personal schedule that will put a crunch on the working time, and I am contemplating changing this build into something a little more manageable for me. I have a friend who has offered his help and an alternative that sounds pretty good. More to come when I get things sorted out.
Stay tuned

Eagerly awaiting what you come up with! I also have a magnetic solution to mount the shield to my back.

OK, Its 'Big Change, time!

With multiple factors (some explainable, some not) accounted for, It looks like this build will be changed into a Stealth Suit build. I have realized I bit off a little more that I can chew and this seemed like a good solution... Let me explain

1) I have no clue whatsoever on sewing. Learning to sew would've been a great option if I wasn't in school and work most of the time. My solution to this is a friend of mine. He used to
sell commissions but is now preparing to move out of the country. He has offered to sell me the materials and pieces he has before he leaves. He has completed alot of the more advanced 'details' but they still need some basic sewing.

2) The Stealth Suit looks pretty close to the Avengers 2 suit. I put some pictures side by side to see if there was any real similarities and it turned out to be closer than I thought.
IMG_0086.JPGIMG_0085.JPG
Stomach sections to me just look like different colors and the chest seems to be something I could modify. The pants and arms look a bit more padded, and I'm pretty sure the helmet hasn't changed.
So in the long run (If I want to) I can change my Stealth Suit into an Avengers 2 suit without dropping to much more money into it.

3) When I plotted out the pricing for the avengers suit next to the stealth suit,the stealth suit came out $15 cheaper... It isn't much, but it is cheaper.

I apologize if you were interested in seeing the Avengers suit. It is still my favorite of Cap's so far but the Stealth suit option just happened to work out better for me. The shield will still be magnetic and made with wonderflex (once I sort out the problems mentioned earlier). As for the pieces I already have (helmet), they will be modified into the Stealth version so keep an eye out for that!

Last edited:
Finally! An Update!!
I have been through thick and thin juggling life and this darn shield. It has given me so much trouble but I believe it will still turn out as expected.

So first I just went for it. I tried to put the wonderflex right on to the frame and it was horrible. It was egg shaped, had crazy uneven curves, giant wrinkles, and the plastic dipped in between each limb. It was just... the worst.
IMG_4875.jpg

Fast forward to my better idea, Paper templates!
photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG
I made a 'slice of pie' shape with the correct dimensions and tabs on one side. 20 of these interlocked was going to give me the correct curve that the plastic could melt on to, cool, and then remove the paper. Only problem was I haven't taken Geometry in 3 years and the dome had a 6inch dept instead of 3.5inches.

Finally, I had found a solution that had been under my nose the whole time... Satellite dish! My buddy just so happened to have a dish with close enough dimensions to shape the wonderflex with. The dish was a little beat up, so it did need some work. I hammered out as many dents as I could, then we started.
At first the plan was to lay a single layer at a time over the open end of the dish, and heat it until it sunk into the entire curve on its own. We found later that heating the entire sheet evenly was hard and the plastic only stretched to a point that was not far enough. The single sheet was then cut into 4 quadrants that could stretch to meet one another in the center.
photo 1.JPG

We had to develop a technique of heating, pressing, cooling, and filling to achieve close enough curve. To ensure there were no unknown dents, we did not remove the shield until the frame was curved evenly and properly, and secured to the back of the first layer with strips of plastic.
photo 5.JPG

Here is a shot right after taking it out to show the overall shape (still needs trimming) and size compared to me

photo 4.JPG

As of right now i'm happy with it. The compound curve is fairly even, I wont have to fill to many spaces, and oh yeah, ITS A REAL CIRCLE (not like my egg shaped embarrassment before)

Next step is to add the back layer and move on to filling and sanding. For this i'll be using a combo of wonderflex strips and friendly plastic pellets.

In my free time and/or during class i've also started 3D modeling some of the pieces for 3D printing. Here is the back bracket:
back bracket.JPG

From the back you can see a small channel (highlighted in neon blue) is placed to hold a peg should I want to carry the shield that way in the future:
back bracket 2.JPG

I have also began thought on how I'd like to convert my helmet/cowl thing.
photo (1).JPG
Since the Stealth helmet does look a bit more rigid, I plan to make a helmet out of wonderflex to sit underneath this latex cowl. Where ever I need to add the 'carbon fiber' look as well as raised sections, i'll cut away the latex or add plastic.
I also might replace the 'A' because I think the latex one is crooked... :facepalm

That's it for now! Hopefully I can upload some more soon. For those asking for details on the magnet hookup, as soon as the shield has all layer of plastic and has a trimmed edge, I will film a short few clips demonstrating what I've been describing about it.

Thanks all

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back