WannaWanga ANH Graflex Configuration

Sounds like a job for some brass black... I really don't like the look of the bright brass when it's not visible on screen anywhere anyway. Thanks guys,

For sure. If your reference for how a vintage Graflex looks is a repro, then it's going to mislead. Nothing vintage has those bright clean contacts. (For years, I was actually unaware that the pins were connected to the guts via external tabs; once all the reproductions started coming out, I had to go back and look at my vintages to see that, holy crap, there something in there.)

That's one reason I've never jumped on the reproduction bandwagon – it's too clean and I don't fancy having to weather the thing myself.

FWIW, I suspect that vintage pins and tabs were not bare brass but instead nickel plated like the other flash parts. On none of my vintages nor the slaves I own is there any hint of brassy or warm coloring anywhere but the tips of the pins, tips that stick out just a little ways from the body and are subject to wear. Additionally, the dark color on the tabs doesn't appear to be oxidation but looks more like grime or dirt, possibly electrical grease used on the contacts that accumulated filth over the years. That's one reason the tabs disappear so completely against the black plastic – the whole insides of the sockets appear to be dirty.

(There's a similar bit of contention I've seen over the spring loaded bulb contact, if it's brass or plated. Consensus seems to settled on plated, but worn down over the years so brass shows at the top.)

I received a package today. :D

It looks so purdy

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_170210.jpg
    IMG_20200722_170210.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 252
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I have to ask if the thingiverse link on first page is the latest update for the grip guide ever made.

Thank you!

Yes, but that one is a for sale item. When he anounced this one, you had both options, to buy it or to print it by your own. I am asking if this is the last DIY guide or I can download the last one too.

For those with a 3D printer: the new ANH grip guide can now be downloaded for free from Thingiverse (not for resale!):

Enjoy!
(You know where to get that wonky D-ring!)

thing4893086.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back