Wall*E Prop - BNL Lighter

I loved the movie too! I'd love to get a lighter prop.

You have the soundtrack? Does it have the "Hello Dolly" parts in it?
I've been finding recordings of those songs and cutting them to how they were in the movie and all the time pretending that I'm not too poor to shell out $20 for a CD...:lol

I loved the movie too! I'd love to get a lighter prop.

You have the soundtrack? Does it have the "Hello Dolly" parts in it?
I've been finding recordings of those songs and cutting them to how they were in the movie and all the time pretending that I'm not too poor to shell out $20 for a CD...:lol

Well, I had gotten it off of Itunes, I had some left over money from an old giftcard, and it was only about $10. It has all the tracks in chronological order, so pretty much all the music you hear in the movie is on here. I had gotten it before seeing it a second time, and was able to pinpoint alot of the cues

Question, there was talk about making a 700 year old version like in the movie. Is that still part if the plan or is that not happening anymore. Awesome work regardless. Thanks.

Question, there was talk about making a 700 year old version like in the movie. Is that still part if the plan or is that not happening anymore. Awesome work regardless. Thanks.

LOL, Well, the only way at this point of making it 700 years old is by weathering it, which I plan on doing to mine

Sure, pay me now, I will bury it and give ya a map so you can find it in 700 yrs. :lol
I am going to offer them as like new so everyone can detail them as they wish. If I come up with a good way to age them I will offer them aged and share the info on how with everyone. I think paint is our best bet for aging them now.

Any opinions on which of the 3 lighters, which looks the closest? One thing we need to remember is that these are CG drawings so they are an impression of the real ones and they may not match the real things to a T.

I'd go with brushed chrome.

Now going back to the Logo, I'm pretty certain, as were others, that the logo itself is reflective chrome, with the body being that brushed look.

Can you just cut the logo out of chrome mylar?

I'd go with brushed chrome.

Now going back to the Logo, I'm pretty certain, as were others, that the logo itself is reflective chrome, with the body being that brushed look.

Can you just cut the logo out of chrome mylar?
I don't think I can get a uniform etched finish across the whole of the lighter doing it the way I am now.
It looks like to me from the original photo that the logo area is etched and the lighter body is brushed because the logo is so uniform in color (gray). If it was chrome it would reflect more than one color. When I do chrome on a 3D drawing I end up with several colors on the chromed area its the same when I draw chrome letters in 2d using Photoshop. Also the whole of the lighter would be the color of the area I have etched and not look like the brushed area and this just doesn't look right to me.
On the one I etched the logo area looks darker than the brushed area when turned at an angle. Reflective surfaces are always a problem to photograph in a manner that gives a true representation of the actual article. The one I did looks dead on when I hold it up at the same angle as the photo.

Last edited:
Ok, I've seen the movie a third time and I've come to some conclusions, whether they'll be considered here, well, that's up to you.

The Lighter is fully chrome - proper reflective chrome, not satin or brushed. You can see a reflection of Wall-e hand when he first adds it to his collection. The logo is a darker grey transparent tint, still reflective and glossy.

I don't know how one might get this look. If I find a chrome lighter (apparently, Wal-mart's in Canada don't sell them) I might try masking off and airbrushing a transparent smoke tint.

Here is the brushed lighter at a diagonal (crappy photo), make your own decisions.
lighterside.jpg

lighterside1.jpg

lighterside2.jpg

Last edited:
Good, that is the same as the original I posted just at a different angle. Seems the reflection of light straight in makes it look lighter and at a slight angle they are dark as shown in the later posts. Yup, this is the original sample I overlayed the logo on the photo and it has been enlarged to match for the ones on order.

Yes I know this thread has been dead a long time but there was some good info in here.

I'm looking for one but I can't find them anywhere. Anyone have one or know anyone who still makes them?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back