Vid Phone!! Fullsize!!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Gordon Gekko, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is a long overdue project that probably started 10 years ago with a simple sketch on a paper. I have literally been working off and on in fits on this project for that long. Several false starts, wrong moves, one shop fire and countless hours staring at blurry Japanese text I am finally close to one of my few remaining "Holy Grail" props.

I have built this from the ground up, using every screencap I could find, in addition to the tiny blurry images I have found of the "Vid-Phon Report". It is intended to represent the "Hero" version Deckard uses at Taffy's to drunk call Rachel. Ironically probably the one Vid-Phon with the least amount of available info. The left side of the Phon is seen quite well, but we never see any other aspect of the phone, and I have never found any external references for it. I have therefore taken some liberties with the "unseen" areas. But I think they are well founded liberties. While all the known Phon's are quite different in appearance, I did notice that the same damage patterns appear over and over, just in different locations on different Phon's. So I took known damage from the right side of a known Phon, and used it on the "Hero". This version also has a camera/mic combo behind the glass and raised number buttons.

Enough blabbering and on to the photos. (Clickie for Biggie!!)

VP01.jpg
    Foam Master cut on the CNC.
    VP02.jpg VP03.jpg
    Cleaning it up.

VP05.jpg VP07.jpg

VP08.jpg VP06.jpg
    Applying damage.

VP04.jpg
    Checking the fit of the Camera/Mic 3d print.

VP10.jpg
    Beginning the paint process.

VP11.jpg VP12.jpg
    VP13.jpg
    Paint getting closer and beginning to test stickers and graffiti.

At this point I just need to finish perfecting the paint job/stickers/graffiti on the body. Then the face plate needs to be put in place along with the 3d printed camera/mic, keyboard and cutout for the monitor area. The entire face will then be backlit with Leds.

Thanks for looking.

-GG

Attached Files:

Pro Mod and brandomack like this.
  2. brandomack

brandomack Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What type of glue did you use for laminating the foam?

3. breen2057

breen2057 Sr Member

did you know that the prop store of london had the hero version on display at SDCC this year?

heres a vid of a interview that norm from tested did with one of the owners about what they have on display. they talk about the vid phon at the 5.40 mark.

[video]https://youtu.be/L_jOTnpGmhs?t=5m40s[/video]

some pics i found online

San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-05.jpg San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-07.jpg San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-11.jpg San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-37.jpg San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-39.jpg San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-38.jpg San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-41.jpg San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-40.jpg San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-42.jpg San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-43.jpg San-Diego-Comic-Con-2015-Exhibit-Photography-PropStore-London-Los-Angeles-44.jpg

Grey likes this.
  4. Gordon Gekko

You know, I always had this feeling that as soon as I was getting close to finishing this prop someone would pop up and say "Oh hey, here's some great reference of the original hero VP." I have literally searched for more info on this for years, and now it comes out within days.

Just looking at those pics.... back to the drawing board!!!

5. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Also I found these images from Ebay about 10 years ago-
    MC00281.jpg MC00295.jpg MC00294.jpg MC00293.jpg MC00292.jpg MC00291.jpg MC00290.jpg MC00289.jpg MC00288.jpg MC00286.jpg MC00285.jpg MC00284.jpg MC00283.jpg MC00282.jpg MC00287.jpg MC00296.jpg MC00297.jpg MC00299.jpg

R1Vidphone.jpg

Grey likes this.
  6. Grey

Grey Sr Member

That is an amazing collection of photos on this prop, i've always loved this design.

Details aside, your work looks great Gordon.

7. Gordon Gekko

I've had those images of the Vid Phon Report for years as well. Very helpful to be sure, but they were not of the hero.

Thanks for the kind words Grey.