Suggestion Vendor program

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Maybe something to consider.

Here is how another forum does it:

Fender Telecaster

It creates a level of confidence buying from someone who takes this extra step.

I don't think follow the linked example exactly, but tweaked to fit our forum.

Last edited:
Very interesting! That site seems to have a very different format than the RPF but it is certainly something we could consider and look into. One of the things we want to be careful of, and is a bit tough is that we don't want to take away current privelages and then offer to sell similar or slightly upgraded privileges back to the members/vendors, so we would really have to think about this one carefully. It is also an area where we would have to be very careful in terms of licensed vs unlicensed and those who offer a service vs those who are offering product.

Thanks for the idea!

Believe it or not, the Tele forum is watched very, very close by Fender Musical Instrument Corp, yet there are quite a few guys legally selling Fender style guitars and custom made parts identical to Fender parts, which are basically proprietary to FMIC with no legal ramifications. The only thing a Vendor must do is not represent their items as "Fender" items, or imply as such.

We still have a classified forum where anyone can sell something, but as you've probably read, if you deliberately make an item for resell, you need to be a Vendor to do so. I think it encourages trust and makes these sellers responsible and reputable.

Aside from the RPF, the Tele Forum is the other best forum on the net in regards to a hobby and the Vendor program is very, very successful. I can't recall anyone not getting an item they've ordered from a Vendor.

I think it encourages trust and makes these sellers responsible and reputable.

Or the scammer simply pays the $25 bucks for a membership and skips town with $1000s in loot that month...

A scammer will do what they need to do to steal be it a post count, membership duration or paying $25 they are all just small inconveniences and ironically purchases the scammer instant good credentials on the site, leading to what amounts to a false sense of good standing and reputation allowing them an easier path to steal the money... You might be able to slow down the one hit wonders with these road blocks, but then again buyer beware when a one hit wonder decides to offer up high dollar sales...

I believe if you look at the history of the "sellers" here on the RPF that have stolen the largest sums of money, they were mostly well established and in good grace members that took a bad turn, I doubt it would really matter much if they had paid $25 or not...

On the surface the idea looks good, but I don't see it actually preventing anything in the end for those that desire to screw other members...

Nothing is fail safe, but at least over on the Tele forum, I can't remember the last time someone ran off with someone's money.

But no big deal really. Just a suggestion.

Nothing is fail safe

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the logic and it's not an entirely bad idea, but to me there comes a point like for example with gun control laws, where the hoops and rules become more of a inconvenience to the legit people than actually serving their intended purpose to keep the bad guys in check...

but at least over on the Tele forum, I can't remember the last time someone ran off with someone's money.

Do you attribute this to them simply being good and honest sellers or because they paid $25 to sell?

**edit wrong due do...

Last edited:
Due you attribute this to them simply being good and honest sellers or because they paid $25 to sell?

Partly. I think the mentality is they are making the attempt to be "legit" so to speak. Like getting a business license as opposed to being under the table.

Again, I don't want to debate this idea to death. It was just a suggestion.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back