Various Types of Collections...What's Yours?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by cnidaria, Jan 24, 2006.

1. cnidaria

cnidaria New Member

Hey guys-

I know this has been discussed in one form or another in previous threads. Nonetheless, I got to thinking about it, and was curious what you all do. How many collectors here focus thier collections on one film/series? So many seem to collect a wide variety, and I am curious what limits/guidelines you all set?

I for one, used to collect from the Aliens, Terminator, Predator, and Jurassic Park films series only. Then, I purged everything several years ago, and have started up again this year. I ditched all but Aliens and Predator stuff, then went to just Aliens quadrilogy stuff. Now, I have focused on only statues, busts,models, prop replicas, and the occasional screen-used piece from Alien and Aliens. The third and fourth films being mediocre by far, IMO, so I no longer felt the need to collect from them. No more toys or comics, etc...just higher end items. These are by far two of my favorite films. I dumped all but the pieces I really like, and have a small but nice collection which grows steadily. I continue to consider adding other films and limiting myself to only sci-fi I like, but the scope them gets to broad, and I opt to stick to these two films. You'd think I have enough on my hands with all the new Aliens items, but much of the newer items are crappy, IMO.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant, but is there anyone else who is as focused on their collection, and do you ever get tempted to expand your range of what you collect? If so, what keeps you focused. Guess I am looking for a reason/inspiration to stay focused...LOL. :D

thanks,
    Brian

2. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

I collect Star Trek TOS Props...I Bought my first one in 1972 and was hooked, I have been able to gather over 200+ pieces since.

I recently purchased a Coyle C&S Blaster, the first non-trek prop purchase for me in over 10 years....

UFP

3. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Star Wars
    Indy
    The Mummy

Used to do a lot of Alien's , and Predator , but I have to keep it down to just a few things, so I can concentrate on the other stuff :)

4. mez7

mez7 Sr Member

a little of everything, but i guess im starting to sell of most, and get settled into a few things,

ghostbusters, got full suit, proton pack 80% done, just a few real parts needed to be done :p which ill probably never find,

wes anderson movie items,

and the rest of my collecting is towards first edition/autographed/rare books, and art, just got a limited silkscreen from the original artist who did the art for the 1st edition of fear and loathing, autographed and numbered by the artist, just dropped it at my framer tonight in fact :p

5. tommin

tommin Sr Member

There are so many nice pieces of different genres to collect, one can easily find themselves stretches too thin. This is regardless of pocket book or square footage. Stick with ALIENS, bud. You can't go wrong with that choice. ;)

6. cnidaria

cnidaria New Member

Thanks for the opinions guys. Seems there might be more people than I thought who are pretty focused.

@ Tom-
    Hmm..how did I know YOU would suggest I just stick to Aliens...? ;) :D

Brian

7. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

I started with Star Wars, then Star Trek and RoboCop.

I like the guns and weapons most of all. I have to limit it because of the cost, so weapons are the main thing.

I made some Batarangs, and hope to make some Constantine Brass Knuckles.

I have a lot of SW stuff though. Sabers, figures (only the ones with helmets) a couple helmets, a blaster and a lot of books.

Right now, I'm pretty content with what I have. I think I'll start trading or selling stuff now to make room for new stuff.

FB

8. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I collect mainly Vader stuff. I also collect other Imperial items but Vader is my main thing.

9. d_osborn

d_osborn Sr Member

the main focus of my collection is GHOSTBUSTERS, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, and tim burton's BATMAN. i'm not really picky when it comes to what i buy. concept art, storyboards, draft scripts, props, etc. if i like it, and i THINK i'll display it, i try to pick it up. :)

10. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

My collection is predominately Star Wars (probably 90% or better), and predominately toys. Simply put, the toys are relatively inexpensive and readily available. I started collecting as a "broke college student", so the cost and ease of acquisition was a major factor. Model kits took build time that I simply didn't have with work and classes. Once I graduated and started working full time I could afford some of the more expensive toys like the transforming Macross Valkyries from the Japanese company Yamato.

I have built models my whole life (with the noted hyatus for college) and once I graduated I stated up again. I have a couple of Macross Valkyries and a hand full of Gundams. I have to admit... most are in still in the boxes after all these years, but I am working on them as time permits. Some friends got me into table top war gaming, so a lot of model time is spent painting little metal soldiers.

I just started branching into props at the end of last year. In the last two months I have acquired two MR FX lightsabers, a rotocast sidearm from the new Battlestar Galactica Series, and an APH-6B flight helmet which I plan on converting into an X-Wing helmet. I've signed up to purchase two M81 flash suppressors from PropRunner for a DL-44 ANH build up, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next run of Cylon Raiders from Howling Wolf Productions. I don't think it's a bad start at all. The X-Wing helmet has been life long dream (well, since I was 4) and I've already snagged it (even though I have a lot of work to do before it is actually an X-Wing helmet).

I don't really plan on branching out much. There are soooo many Star Wars items that I want and only so much time, money, and shelf space. I'm sure you can all relate. I would like to get an M41A Pulse Rifle from Aliens and have started to work towards that. I intend to build a compass to Ile De Morte from Pirates of the Caribbean. The map from Time Bandits would be cool.

11. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i'm 99% star wars, with a small bit of firefly thrown in the mix (just 2 items, one of which isn't even here yet.)

i was mostly on toys at first, but as i got more props / costumes, the toys diminshed to the things i really love.

this reminds me, i really need to take pics of my stuff.

12. ioncanon

ioncanon Well-Known Member

My focus is random movie props from movies I like. High end halloween masks including rare friday the 13th props, and 80s monster toys.

Other than that I guess whatever i'm feeling at the time

13. trekkieb47

trekkieb47 Well-Known Member

Star Trek, Power Rangers/Sentai, Batman, Firefly, and now moving into Jurassic Park, also a couple other fandoms like Fifth Element, Farscape, etc...

Berry

14. Hadleys Hope

Hadleys Hope Active Member

I love Studio Scale Models. I think it is because they are uncommon peices and usually dwarf the commercial stuff. :p Thanks for asking.

Paul

15. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

Science Fiction Weapons
    Screen Used & Replica
    Star Wars

Other screen weapons

Swords
    Mostly LOTR
    All Factory X
    Conan
    Historical
    Star Wars lightsabers
    All MR hilts
    Extensive Film & EU EL, Luxeon, LED, other
    Star Wars Helmets & Costumes
    Other Science fiction helmets & costumes

16. cnidaria

cnidaria New Member

Good stuff everyone. Keep 'em coming...I think we may all find it interesting to see the diversity on this board. :)

Anyone else who just collects from one or two movies, like me?

Brian

17. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

Mainly Vader. But I'm pretty picky as to what I REALLY want. I do have other things such as a flanged mace, a nice Jurassic Park raptor claw. But I donthave a lot of stuff either. I'm pretty conservative.

18. takevin

takevin Sr Member

I collect anything that may interest me, something cool or neat, something that would POP out to me. My wife on the other hand just collects Predator stuff, Ill guarantee she has one of the biggest prop/toy/comic book collection of predator material around anywhere.. A LOOOT of stuff....

19. wolverine solo

wolverine solo Well-Known Member

star wars, star trek, wolverine from x-men, galactica new and old, godzilla except anything to do with that 98 disaster of a movie.

20. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can...not..keep..collecting...habits...focused...

Just recently I got back into collecting vintage SW toys. But over the years I have "amassed" too much stuff from various lines.

Prop and costume wise I am mainly interested in SW, but again, I can´t keep focused on one topic...

Michael

21. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

Blade I-III
    Terminator
    Hellboy

:)

22. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have never been much of a collector before getting into replicas. I collect mostly Star Wars.
    Quality over quantity, only one variation of each item and only items that I feel are iconic. I feel that the quanity of items is complete, but several of them are in an unfinished state (and some could be upgraded forever... :rolleyes ) I avoid having a lot of clutter/merchandise, although I do have my vintage figures from my childhood on display. :$

I also have a few Gandalf items from Lord of the Rings (my fav. LotR character) and I also like to have a couple of subtle things from various films here and there in my apartment mostly for the fun of it... such as a Little Shop of Horrors plant among my real plants. :D

23. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Right now my focus is Star Wars, mainly lightsabers. I do plan on getting a prop here and a prop there from other movies. For example I really want to build the remote to the Delorean in BTTF, a ghost trap from GB, Freddy's glove from one of the movies, a medical tricorder from TNG, and other things.

24. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

Good idea for a thread. It's a good time for everyone to acquaint/reacquaint themselves with their fellow member's interests in case we decide to collect props from another film/area.

99% of my collection is stuff from Star Wars. I also have a couple of items from Blade Runner, the Goonies and Dune. It looks like I may be starting a small Jurrasic Park collection. I try to get items that are easily recognizable to my visitors and aren't so exotic that it puts them off.

Bruce

25. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Star Wars
    Blade Runner
    Firefly/Serenity
    The Fifth Element
    Pitch Black/CoR

(And a few items from other obscure movies)

26. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Mostly:

Star Wars (90% from the original trilogy)
    Indiana Jones
    Lord of the Rings

With an interest and some small items from Jaws, Ghostbusters...

27. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

I would say about 79.9% Star Wars, 10% Indiana Jones, 5% Aliens, 5% Invader Zim and .1% a mix of everything else (Gremlins, transformers, matrix etc.)

Star Wars - Mostly action figures until episode 1, then it became props and posters. Mostly home built from found original items (graflex, eumig, sterling) with the exception of the MR mini sabers

Indiana Jones - Idol, headpiece of Ra, home made Holy Grail, Elsa's clover lighter, posters

Aliens - MiM Pulse rifle and MR's motion tracker, poster

Invader Zim - Only action figures so far (not much else out there)

I'm still waiting to get a place to properly display everything before I put up pictures though.

-Fred

28. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

I collect mostly Star Wars, but also LOTR, Blade Runner, and soon Harry Potter(rather my wife will).

If I allow myself to collect from too many movies, I won't know where to stop. Trying to determine where my Star Wars collection is going is hard enough as it is... :lol

29. PodRacer X

PodRacer X Active Member

What do you know? I collect mostly Star Wars, too. :)

But I'll add things to the collection from any movie or TV show that I like. So far that includes Indiana Jones, Star Trek (Original Series and movies), LOTR, Blade Runner, POTC, and a Maltese Falcon.

30. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....mainly SW...and mainly Vader, although I'm getting more into Trooper stuff. Gonna build a full size Trooper display etc. then there are various ships, AT ATs etc....whatever I happen to find interesting, I will collect....

A little bit of Terminator stuff....

Now, I'm actually starting a "Great Escape" display as it's one of my fave movies....

31. grimlock2d

grimlock2d Well-Known Member

I've limited myself to a few things

Star Wars
    Lord of the Rings
    Stargate (SG-1 and Movie)
    X-Men

with a smattering of other stuff
    Troy
    Blade
    Farscape

32. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Empire strikes back, nothing else. IMO, it's the best Star Wars film and has the coolest looking props and models. I used to collect stuff from all Star Wars films, including the prequels but I unloaded all that stuff a year ago. I'm very happy with my choice, keeps the collection nice and clean. :)

Steve.

33. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

Mostly Star Wars with a bit of Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Office Space and LOTR thrown in for good measure.

I hope to add a couple of Predator, Aliens and Jurassic Park items at some point down the road.

Star Wars has always been and always will be my main focus and love in collecting.

34. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Mostly Aliens and Predator, which are my main focus now. And a handfull of other movies that I get maybe one or two replicas from. But even my main focus areas don't see a lot of action. I have specific items I want that I work towards getting, I even made a list of items that I want. This helps me maintain my focus and not spend cash on items that I'm "so-so" on, while neglecting items I really want.

And judging from my current list, I only have about 6 or 7 more items to go. Of course, that's barring any new movies that come out that contain an item I want a replica of. You never know what's around the corner.

35. saber_holder

saber_holder Active Member

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  36. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Guys, where are all the pics?

It's all about Blade Runner for me. Blasters in particular. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Latests additions not shown: Spinner Dokuhon, and the Official Blade Runner fan Club kit.

Njc-----------------------

37. Stansfield

Stansfield Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

When I first got into this hobby back in '98, I got sucked into the "completist" mode where if it was a prop I had to have it.....fortunately, common sense and my thin wallet wer the voice of reason. Today, I focus on some staples and personal interests:

Star Wars (original trilogy)
    Star Trek (TOS - TV & Movies)
    Aliens
    Indiana Jones
    X-Files
    Sci-Fi TV

Mainly I focus on hand weapons, SS models, and life-size displays. My real passion is collecting sci-fi fighter pilots and TV/Movie police badges/ID's.

I've found its OK to not have everything under the sun, it makes me feel better about my collection.

Geoff

38. Rebel Hunter

Rebel Hunter Well-Known Member

For me....

LOTR (weapons and armor)
    Indy
    Escape from New York

and I enjoy picking up certain "wearable" props such as rings, sunglasses, shirts,etc. that I can wear around.

39. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

I started with TOS Trek. Then Aliens, and now Star Wars. A few Indy pieces, but nothing special. Looking to add a DS gun, and Blade Runner blaster one of these days.

40. bothanspy

bothanspy Sr Member

Mainly Star Wars

I also have other props from other movies such as

Indiana Jones
    BladeRunner
    Terminator
    Aliens
    RoboCop
    I, Robot
    Fifth Elements
    BlackHawk down
    Band of Brothers
    Saving Private Ryans
    Top Gun
    Jin Roh
    Space 1999

Plus other toys and stuff that are too many to list ;)

41. SG Merc

SG Merc Well-Known Member

For most of my props it's Stargate SG-1 and a little seaQuest DSV/2032. Though there's always the occasional something else ...

42. Griefboy

Griefboy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was into everything until I ran out of space and money. I sold most of my collection to focus on Alien props. I did keep a few other things around that I'm having a real hard time letting go. My Han in Carbonite is one of those items. It was fun a few years ago when you had to really search for stuff to acquire. Now with MR, United Cutlery and Sideshow pumping out 100's of very cool things to buy, I think it has become a little overwhelming.

43. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

All types -- mostly action and sci-fi

44. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I've got a Golden Idol,Headpeice of Ra,Holy Grail

The rest is all full size Star Wars costumes and associated props.

Steve :)

45. docholl

docholl Well-Known Member

Sci-Fi

Stargate SG-1, Andromeda, Chronicles of Riddick, Event Horizon, Space Above and Beyond, Starship Troopers, Space 1999, Genesis II, Hellboy, Star Wars, Star Trek........

Well, you get the idea.

46. stormtrooperguy

pics you say.?.

well, i finally took some late last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47. rudolpht

rudolpht Well-Known Member

Updated categories, just the highlights, click sig for pics

Science Fiction Weapons (Screen Used & Replica)
    - Star Wars
    - Starship Troopers
    - Battlestar Galactica (Original & New)
    - Space: Above and Beyond
    - Doom
    - Chronicles of Riddick
    - Aliens
    - Serenity
    - Andromeda
    - Aeon Flux
    - Judge Dredd

Other screen weapons
    - WWII Movies

Real Weapons

Swords
    - Mostly LOTR
    - All Factory X
    - Conan
    - Viking Myth
    - Real Imperial Germany
    - Historical

Star Wars lightsabers
    - All MR hilts
    - Extensive Film & EU EL, Luxeon, LED, other
    - Reveal Obi & Luke

Star Wars Helmets & Costumes
    - Ep I-VI Helmets
    - Trooper: AT-AT
    - Stormtrooper
    - CloneTroopers & Commanders (Ep II & III)
    - Imperial Officer
    - Sith Lord, Vader, Dooku, Revan
    - Desert Trooper
    - Royal Guard & Senate Guard
    - TIE Pilot
    - AT-ST Driver
    - Death Star Trooper
    - Snowtrooper
    - Death Star Gunner
    - Spec Ops Trooper
    - Jango Bounty Hunter
    - Jedi (Prequel & OT)
    - Rebel Trooper (Hoth & Endor)

Other Science fiction helmets & costumes
    - Chronicles of Riddick - Necromonger
    - Starship Troopers
    - Doom
    - Battlestar Galactica (Original & New)
    - Space: Above and Beyond
    - Judge Dredd
    - Dune
    - Aeon Flux

Other Costumes
    - WWII
    - Modern

Studio Scale Models

48. stormtrooperguy

*sigh*

someday i'll actually get these three. for some reason the at-st driver one really appeals to me, same with the death star trooper.

the at-at one would be for my wife :)

49. SbsAgent

SbsAgent New Member

I love to collect all kinds of crazy things

seaQuest is my # 1 thing,

i have stuff from

star trek
    aliens
    x-files
    highlander
    babylon 5
    galaxy quest
    buffy the vampire slayer
    mostly sci-fi movie & TV related
    lots of costumes
    approx 400 autographs

50. MikeyX

MikeyX Well-Known Member

I'm very focussed in my collection - it's Star Wars lightsabers only for me. Currently I have about 14 MR LEs and 1 EE plus some assorted minis to fill gaps for sabers I don't have space for. In addition I have a handful of fan-made/custom sabers.

Over the years I've been collecting I have been tempted a few times to expand to other SW props, or into other movies - but I've even managed to avoid doing so. Sure I've been tempted by some really cool blasters, jedi training remotes and such - but I never cracked.... well okay... I never cracked until late last year that is when I got a UC Anduril. :) I decided to get one thing from the LOTR flicks as they're the only films that have come close to being as important to me as SW. It hasn't opened the floodgates though - that is and (hopefully) will be the only exception.

Why lightsaber replicas? It's simply because nothing can erase the magic of seeing lightsabers igniting on the screen back in 1977 when I was 7 years old.