Various OT lightsaber parts (TFA clamp covers and bottoms now available)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by roygilsing, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Re: Various OT lightsaber parts

I am about to do the same thing since I have some strong double sided tape left ... I just cut a 0.5 cm strip off and put it in and slightly alongside the glue-channel though ... so I would not have to add a black marker stripe on the edge . . . I'll just test-fit one first to see if it works and ... if I like it ;)

Chaim

2. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone ever consider doing the MR method of slightly sanding down the ends of the t-tracks to accommodate the endcap? I'm debating about whether to do that in my build or not...

3. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416086662.491472.jpg

The real one doesn't have a fancy, flush transition; it's just glued in an ugly way, leaving nasty marks on the tracks as well! ;)

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

4. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep... But it's not especially aesthetically pleasing to look at... Hence my debate...

5. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep, everything is placed and locked where they should be. My problem was, in my enthusiasm, I printed the grip template from PoSW without having it sized accurately. Like, I mentioned before, I'm gonna keep these ones for later sabers down the line (ANH Vader, more than likely) when I've got the funds and enthusiasm for another.

6. roygilsing

Didn't see a Graflex yet in the teaser-trailer! :)

7. roygilsing

I made two old style 'blueprints' of the LUKE ANH & the LUKE ESB saber :)
    It includes some building information and it combines all the knowledge I found here.

View attachment 411440 blueprint-Luke-ANH.jpg

Roy

8. roygilsing

Sym-Cha likes this.
  9. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I replaced my blast-tech grips with these. It was a total mess getting the glue off, and then re-doing one of these I placed wrong...super glue does its job *sigh* anyways I finally completed upgrading my ANH graflex. Some shots... it's beautiful!

Attached Files:

roygilsing, Panaflex and matty matt like this.
  10. roygilsing

Hi all!

I finally created my own Luke ESB! I also made pictures of each step in the process and made a tutorial for it, which I added to the WannaWanga website:
    http://wannawanga.com/tutorials/luke-esb-tutorial/

Here's the result:
    PC300105.jpg PC300111.jpg PC300107.jpg

Roy

11. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool tutorial, thanks for posting!

12. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Thanks for posting Roy ... your Luke ESB looks fantastic indeed with those parts ... well done! :) ... Now where did I leave my vintage G R A F L E X parts, screws, rivets, D-ring - grumble - Kobold, extra red button ... oy, yoy yoy so much to do :wacko

Chaim

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  13. PoopaPapaPalps

It looks great but isn't the upper tube facing the ANH way? Also, I thought the tape was textured, is that not true anymore?

14. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The textured tape seen on a saber in exhibits has never been spotted in the movie.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  15. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Great tutorial, indeed.

But PoopaPapaPalps is correct and compared to your ESB blueprints you will notice that the Graflex head piece is assembled like the ANH style saber.

16. roygilsing

Yeah, you guys are correct! I will rotate the top part and make some new pics in the new year. :)

Sym-Cha likes this.
  17. roygilsing

matty matt and Sym-Cha like this.
  18. SpeedRacerx

SpeedRacerx Active Member

I thought the first tutorial was great and somehow you made it better. Have you looked into recreating the Clamps? Specifically Vaders MPP? I'm trying to find one with no luck? I know Parks sells them, but as a relatively new RPFer, I've read they can be questionable...

19. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Parks is a matter of perspective ... he recently sold 6 complete replica MPP's and they were superb quality ... so the more you order the better his overall service ... or so it seems. MPP clamps are quite a handfull to recreate for just a few and it's a matter of costs versus demand to even start thinking about it. So for now Parks is your only hope :)

Chaim

20. PoopaPapaPalps

I was looking at and got some advice from another member that JQ's MPP's are exactly the same as Parks (minus questionable reputation). Can anyone chime in on this?

21. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

jq sabers are based in Wales ... and Daren and his wife are parttime European lightsaber suppliers i.e. Parks and other parts ... great to deal with :)

Chaim

22. SpeedRacerx

Sounds like Parks it will be. Also looks like I will have to order me some of Chaim's hardware... Thanks guys.

23. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

My hardware? You mean Roy's perhaps .. I don't sell anything ... just assist anyone wherever I can in regards to OT lightsaber whereabouts and vintage parts knowledge :)

Chaim

24. roygilsing

Thanks, and yes, the MPP parts are next on the list for reproduction, like the shroud and possibly the clamp. I first have to investigate the details and possibilities (with Chaim's help!). I don't know when yet!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

25. SpeedRacerx

LOL. Oops, yes I meant Roy. Still learning who everyone is on these boards.. Sorry

Sym-Cha likes this.
  26. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Ha,ha no worries, mate ... and this is a picture of me ... taken with a real Crown Graphic Special 4x5" camera, which came with a G R A F L E X flashgun :

[​IMG]

Chaim

27. SpeedRacerx

Sym-Cha likes this.
  28. SpeedRacerx

My first flash arrived today! After starting this project, I've become fascinated with these old flashes. Thinking about ordering your t-tracks, but should I wait to see if you come up with any of your own plans for Vader parts?

Sym-Cha likes this.
  29. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Sym-Cha and roygilsing like this.
  30. roygilsing

Don't hold your horses! It will take a while before those are done. And if we'll manage that successfully at all! I haven't even started to investigate them yet. Sorry!
    And I know what you mean by becoming fascinated; I still don't understand what's gotten into me! I even find myself hunting the web for boots and robes now!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Sym-Cha likes this.
  31. roygilsing

Chaim, you're joking right? Did you really take a picture with that piece of antique?!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Sym-Cha likes this.
  32. SpeedRacerx

You should see my order soon then. In the meantime I'll keep looking for my clamp parts elsewhere. I hope you decide to do some new runs of parts. Your current parts turned out so well!

roygilsing likes this.
  33. bill313

bill313 Well-Known Member

Received my t-track today. Great stuff! Thanks

34. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Ha, ha yes I did ... I had asked Alexander, my good friend who also bought a G R A F L E X 4x5 camera lateron, to take my picture on a 4x5" black and white negative film ... so it's authentic and as genuine as can be. He even developed the film and had it scanned for me :)

[​IMG]

I later purchased the Speed G R A F L E X with an adapted WW2 Special Surveillance Ektar Aero lens dating back to 1944 ... and shot some pictures with that too ... only not STAR WARS related :

[​IMG]

Chaim

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    roygilsing likes this.
  35. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, I guess we can finally put that old saw away about Star Wars guys having no respect for vintage camera equipment. Looks like we'll be the only folks around who'll know what these things are much less how to operate them.

Very cool.

roygilsing and Sym-Cha like this.
  36. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Thanks ... yes eventhough I got the flashgun first for Luke's conversion ... I then got very interested in the camera's themself ... heck I even purchased the book how to use them :

[​IMG]
    (Picture from ebay ... my 10th edition is almost mint in condition)

. . . + several vintage flashbulbs to pop :)

Chaim

roygilsing likes this.
  37. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Everything you've done is top notch! On the ESB Luke saber blueprint, you have it titled as Star Wars Episode II the Empire Strikes Back... were you making a reference to Empire being the second film at the time of its creation (as opposed to being Episode V)?

38. roygilsing

Hi Mugatu,

Thanks and yes: in the original ESB blueprints from the art departments they used exactly this text box with ESB referenced as being Episode II. Probably to prevent confusion or because GL wasn't very sure about the prequels yet!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

39. mugatu

Well, as I said, top notch work my friend. I just bought a 3 Cel Graflex Inc +Patent and I think I will be doing the Luke ESB build/conversion. I love all of your parts, so I'll likely be ordering your full ESB Luke package soon. Keep up the great work and make sure you let me know if you ever decide to design/engineer/fabricate the red buttons. I need two!

Sym-Cha likes this.
  40. roygilsing

If you wait a little bit longer, I will add the option of a ESB set WITH red button. Not my own, but a Parks button that I will re-sell with the kit.The price will be good. I'm expecting to have them in stock soon. Hopefully this or next week.

Roy

41. mugatu

Excellent. Thank you. Please let me know as soon as you are able to ship them (or as soon as you have your final full ESB price with the red button).

42. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

chaim im a few weeks late to reply, but thats a killer photo!!

Sym-Cha likes this.
  43. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

As I said earlier in another thread ... Roy you'd better add 2 red replica buttons in a full set then, because the Parks and a vintage red button don't really mix together . . . since the Parks are to new, shiny and chromed as opposed to the naturally weathered vintage, . . . not to mention the huge difference in sharpness of the 'knurling' on the edge and side :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chaim

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    intwenothor likes this.
  44. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

any tricks to weathering the new chrome? i know with brass you can let viniger vapor tarnis it, but was curious about chrome

45. thd9791

please delete

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  46. thd9791

Aren't parks buttons attached with a thin threaded rod in the center? Real buttons have the threading around the rim, and they thread into the tube. There's nothing to screw the replica buttons in to?

my mistake. some replicas are made to specs.
    Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 5.30.02 PM.png Scottjua Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 5.30.19 PM.png

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  47. roygilsing

I'll wait until they're in. If they are similar to the replica in Tom's comparison pic, I'll be very happy. And I will investigate the weathering option too. Otherwise I will include the option to buy an additional second button. Thank you all for your input!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

thd9791 likes this.
  48. PoopaPapaPalps

I eagerly wait for when you get around to tackling Vader's MPP parts.:ninja

roygilsing likes this.
  49. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Parks has a replica part, that in most respects is just like the real ones. Obviously you can tell them apart if you know what you're looking at, but for function they're alike.

The custom saber shop has the thumbscrew type, and it's not really that accurate at all when you actually see one in person... to ME at least. I THINK Parks also makes a thumbscrew version, but he uses his replica button as a base.

Anyway, you can see a bigger version of my original pic, and all the replica vs. real stuff on my thread here:

http://www.therpf.com/f79/graflex-variations-facts-vs-replica-144206/

thd9791 and roygilsing like this.
  50. thd9791

Those were YOUR comparison pics...they're on google now lol sorry.