Vader Versus Obi Wan (New ANH Version)

It would be completely out of place as part of ANH (It doesn't even flow well with the ANH footage it intercuts with), but on its own it's a really cool standalone exercise.

Petty nits:
Lighted chestbox.
No ANH weathering on mask.
ANH footage shows a bunch of troopers running up behind Vader as the doors close, but they aren't there when we cut inside.

Lucas many times said that they were old warrios meeteing after a loong time for their final fight. They were "grumpy old men" fighting to death. So, it was coherent the way they fought.
By the way he also said Obi Wan could win the fight if he wanted. So there was little Vader could teach him.

I had to watch this a few times.
I thought it was completely CGI the first time I watched it.
It's cool... BUT I prefer the original.
The original was masterfully shot and showed actual fencing with realistic moves.
While I get that this was trying to tie into the prequels, it doesn't fit with any of the OT.
Then we get to the costumes... Obi-Wan's was a mish-mash of prequel and ANH
Vader leaned towards ESB (especially his gloves) with the sanitized EFX helmet. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing helmet but next to shots of the actual ANH helmet, it looks cleaner.
The sabers were wonky at times too...
I dunno, I had problems with it and stand by my assertion that the original was superior BUT that this is fun for a watch.

Lucas many times said that they were old warrios meeteing after a loong time for their final fight. They were "grumpy old men" fighting to death. So, it was coherent the way they fought.
By the way he also said Obi Wan could win the fight if he wanted. So there was little Vader could teach him.

This reimagining of the scene suggests that Obi is in real danger, when the opposite is true. In the film Vader is "allowed" to win. The in between--quels (animated shows) seem to have retconned Vader into Anakin in a suit, rather than someone that's "more machine".

Being in a time where many fans just want the originals left alone, I'm surprised so many have said they love this.

I appreciate the work that went into it, but I wasn't blown away. The duels have gotten more aggressive and/or fancier over the years, but the only thing I would ever change about the OT one is to fix the noticeable frame skip between the off/on ignition of the lightsaber for Obi-Wan. Otherwise just leave it alone. I seem to have grown quite callous over these fan re-edits/re-vamps.

It's a decent effort. But I'm not a fan of the modern take on sword fighting. That just feels amateurish and gimmicky. No seasoned sword fighter would fight like that - not when they can lose their lives in an instant. That's why I was so disappointed when Yoda started flipping around like a newbie would. I like the OT versions more because there's more to the fights than show and action - there is depth, there is risk. It takes so very little to hurt the opponent with a lightsaber, but these modern fights are just choreographed messes where they are trained to aim at the saber, not go for the body and it feels completely deflated in terms of risks and danger to the characters. It looks cool, sure... but the stakes are gone. Though, one PT fight that went for the body was the Palpatine fight... but why the heck did he have a lightsaber when he scoffed about them being a Jedi weapon in RotJ?

As for why they didn't do their own story etc. Thanks to studios current heavy handedness, fans are scared. Scared of 10k an hour lawyers coming at them with a - "You can't get blood out of a stone, but you can get the stone" Mentality. The days of the wild west in fan-films and Replica props are over.

I'll be more impressed when fans make their own stories with all that talent rather than continuing to play in George's sandbox.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back