Vader Helmet sculpts

HI. I am preparing to start this for my son. Can you share some tips? What material was used for the under suit? How did you make the belt boxes and buckle?

Hey all. Well it's been two months, so here's a small update. I've started to put some short vids up for the Kid Vader suit and helmet. I don't have much yet and haven't covered much either, but I'm just finding it harder atm to get the time to do the type of videos I wanted to, as I'm doing a bit of work on the house these weekends. I do plan to do a complete new rebuild of the suit though, and I'll be filming as I go, so stay tuned.
Anyway, just a modest start for some quick video posts, I just created a channel to put these up so it's all pretty new...there will be more updates on both the helmet and Kid Vader as I go, and as I said, as I start a new Kid Vader suit I'll be filming that, with templates.

Here's the link to the vids so far:
MadDadHaso

Hey all. Well it's been two months, so here's a small update. I've started to put some short vids up for the Kid Vader suit and helmet. I don't have much yet and haven't covered much either, but I'm just finding it harder atm to get the time to do the type of videos I wanted to, as I'm doing a bit of work on the house these weekends. I do plan to do a complete new rebuild of the suit though, and I'll be filming as I go, so stay tuned.
Anyway, just a modest start for some quick video posts, I just created a channel to put these up so it's all pretty new...there will be more updates on both the helmet and Kid Vader as I go, and as I said, as I start a new Kid Vader suit I'll be filming that, with templates.

Here's the link to the vids so far:
MadDadHaso

Awesome! I've now watched the vids and they're great!

Thanks guys. I've taken some templates from the helmet to put out to everyone for a quick, simple eva foam build version of it. I just need to fine tune these, do a test build with them, then I'll do some video while I make one and post up with templates.
I've had a couple of people ask for tips and templates overall so I'll try to oblige. And if you want you can take them further and put some fiberglass over them or tweak to your taste. With the helmet, you could pair it with any old mask underneath to get something going for a costume.
20191014_132258.jpg
20191014_141715.jpg

Thanks guys. I've taken some templates from the helmet to put out to everyone for a quick, simple eva foam build version of it. I just need to fine tune these, do a test build with them, then I'll do some video while I make one and post up with templates.
I've had a couple of people ask for tips and templates overall so I'll try to oblige. And if you want you can take them further and put some fiberglass over them or tweak to your taste. With the helmet, you could pair it with any old mask underneath to get something going for a costume.
View attachment 1072204View attachment 1072205
I will definitely use the templates when they're done!

Thank you for these! I really enjoy seeing your work. It's so great to have an alternate size for those of us who aren't built like Dave Prowse.

anything new?

Yes...here's the first cast of the kid-sized helmet (minus the tusk ends that I've since made too). I've placed the adult-sized clay sculpt on hiatus for now while we're in lockdown, more because I'm distracted with other stuff to do around the house right now. I'll get back into it.

I think the kid Vader version is around 80-85% of what I've estimated is full size, but that's just an educated guess.

The first Kid Vader on far right, the master cast of it in the centre which I'm making some adjustments on it for a new mold, and adult-sized still being sculpted:
mYLrHAG.jpg

Yes...here's the first cast of the kid-sized helmet (minus the tusk ends that I've since made too). I've placed the adult-sized clay sculpt on hiatus for now while we're in lockdown, more because I'm distracted with other stuff to do around the house right now. I'll get back into it.

I think the kid Vader version is around 80-85% of what I've estimated is full size, but that's just an educated guess.

The first Kid Vader on far right, the master cast of it in the centre which I'm making some adjustments on it for a new mold, and adult-sized still being sculpted:
View attachment 1283697
Awesome!

It's been a while, but I've been working on two Vader sculpts - an adult-sized near 1:1 scale ANH, and a kids-sized ANH. By my estimates the scales are approx 95% full size for the adult, and about 85% full size for the kids.
But today, I will just present the master cast adult's ANH mask which I will use to make the actual 'production' mold for these. As well, I'm now able to finish the helmet to go on this one; I needed to get to this point of the mask so that the helmet can be done over the mask, especially so the brow area can be sculpted around the eyes. I will be using my kid-sized helmet I've sculpted as an armature for this bigger scale version. So here it is, my adult ANH Vader mask, painted up to give a better idea of look:
qaZBiFx.jpg
BBxibkK.jpg
Bu25gmK.jpg
YzOKFVq.jpg
bIrNLn9.jpg
Nc8DxFX.jpg
daEmYoE.jpg

...and just to indicate the final form, here it is under a Rubies helmet. The Rubies helmet is too big, but it gives you an idea of the finished look...it was hard to hold it up at a good angle so this is the best shot I could get, as the two don't attach together.

JxfFS8c.jpg

edit: I forgot to add, I did a quick YT vid of me destroying the clay sculpt to show that it was a sculpt from scratch, no recasting or building over another form here:

Last edited:
It's been a while, but I've been working on two Vader sculpts - an adult-sized near 1:1 scale ANH, and a kids-sized ANH. By my estimates the scales are approx 95% full size for the adult, and about 85% full size for the kids.
But today, I will just present the master cast adult's ANH mask which I will use to make the actual 'production' mold for these. As well, I'm now able to finish the helmet to go on this one; I needed to get to this point of the mask so that the helmet can be done over the mask, especially so the brow area can be sculpted around the eyes. I will be using my kid-sized helmet I've sculpted as an armature for this bigger scale version. So here it is, my adult ANH Vader mask, painted up to give a better idea of look:
View attachment 1348440View attachment 1348441View attachment 1348442View attachment 1348443View attachment 1348444View attachment 1348445View attachment 1348446

...and just to indicate the final form, here it is under a Rubies helmet. The Rubies helmet is too big, but it gives you an idea of the finished look...it was hard to hold it up at a good angle so this is the best shot I could get, as the two don't attach together.

View attachment 1348447
It's so pretty! :love:

Exceptional work as always. Will these adult versions be slightly scaled down to accommodate those of us who aren't as big as David Prowse? Because if you do a run of these I may just have to get in on that!!

Well, it's been a while since I've posted here, but it's finally done. Below is my near 1:1 scale Vader helmet, cast from my very own molds. I'd say it's about 90-95% full sized. This journey started back in Aug/Sept 2018 and was an on again, off again project. But finally, I can say, after moving goalposts and revisiting the sculpt too many times, that it's mission complete!
I set myself the challenge: Could I create, completely from scratch and using nothing as a base or from a recast, an accurate Darth Vader ANH helmet, recreating the methods used on the original....sculpted in clay, and cast in fibreglass. Learning how to sculpt and cast as I go. And just as important was to keep in the spirit of the original prop...hand sculpted with all the assymetry, warts, bumps and curves of the original prop. Painted in a rush with visible brush strokes. I wanted this to be a 'dirty' sculpt, not cleaned up or idealised. I also wanted to give people a local go to for this style of Vader helmet as postage is a killer to here.
I also wanted the helmet to be a little smaller than full sized so that it's a bit more proportional to the build and height of most mortals!
Unfortunately, I can't make metal cast tusks yet, I'll see if I can, but I am going to have resin ones in the meantime. For me, I'll source mine online for now.
I will, over time, modify the helmet and create a mold for both ESB and ROTJ versions. The mask for both can stay with the mask I've finished. I'll also create some shoulder and chest armour to match - that will be the next project and should be A LOT quicker than the helmet.... I'm aiming for second half of this year.
The lenses are a 3mm acrylic plastic, heated and shaped in the mask, and dyed to an amber colour.
I present my scratch built, fiberglass Darth Vader ANH helmet...

20240208_162434.jpg

20240208_162849.jpg

20240208_162956.jpg
20240208_162718.jpg
20240208_162702.jpg
20240208_162528.jpg
20240208_162557.jpg

20240208_162902.jpg

20240208_162310.jpg

20240208_162641 (1).jpg

20240208_162738.jpg

20240208_162812.jpg

And here is mine (on the left) in comparison to an EFX PCR (on the right), it's just a little bit smaller...
20240208_165836.jpg

20240208_170034.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back