Vader Helmet sculpts

I'm not sure what it is but when your wearing the helmet there something looks "off" and it's not the paint job.
I think it's the dome? again the Rubies is not right to base it off.
It is far too wide (in scale) at the mid area, horizontal to the eyes. A bit like the neck flare, the hollowed cheeks and the nose bridge, it's another one of the Rubies off spots.

Your sculpting skills are absolutely amazing Haso , It's looking really really sweet.
A couple of things about your modified Rubies though to help.
The Rubies is already smaller than the EFX by quite a bit, its at least 7% smaller (by my calculation) than my PCR which is itself a tiny bit smaller than screenused.
That makes the Rubies the right size for a person 184 cm or pretty much 6ft already. The other thing is the the Rubies where the upper tubes are in the cheeks is sunk in way more than the PCR, so replicating that you should be making it much straighter than the Rubies.
I hope that all helps :)

The rubies helmet was never mentioned in this thread?

I am referring to size? re-read my post :) we are all trying to help

You talk about size then moved onto the shape of the tubes and dome which suggest that you were mentioning Haso was fully referencing the Rubies.

Tubes and dome have zero resemblance to the Rubies.

I know you sold your Rubies Costume and helmet eventually, but I have a EFX and a Rubies sitting right here and respectfully disagree :)
If Haso does not want my opinion I'm sure he can tell me himself but thank you anyway Vader45 :)

I know you sold your Rubies Costume and helmet eventually, but I have a EFX and a Rubies sitting right here and respectfully disagree :)
If Haso does not want my opinion I'm sure he can tell me himself but thank you anyway Vader45 :)

Looking at the left hand tube the bottom does not extend to the end of the face and the top is fairly stright and level with the bottom. On the Rubies the top tube sink in ALOT. Haso's right hand too tube curves a bit more but I wouldn't say it sinks in.

Hey all,
I can answer a couple of things here. In fact, you are both right in certain parts.
I started the sculpt in late August September last year - there's actually a build thread for the Kid Vader suit that segues into the helmet sculpt on the Sith Lord forum. There were a few stop/starts with the sculpt until it settled into its current form.
Then I bought the Rubies as a little side project, a Halloween-level costuming prop just for fun, off a guy in my Garrison in mid-December. It did answer the question in my head at that time around how the side tubes and facial geometry of that area of the mask all worked because I could actually feel the shape instead of just interpret from a screen. So there is an influence in the way the tubes stripes on this sculpt of mine are done; the Rubies gave me an 'a-ha' moment when I saw how that was formed. However, I did learn later that indeed, the inward curvature is not quite as deep, but for this sculpt of mine, since I have made it kid-friendly anyway, I've persisted with it and it helps to reduce the volume of the helmet somewhat. But to be honest, I actually like that geometry of the mask!
I have long recognised the shortcomings of a Rubies though as well, so it hasn't really influenced much else on the mask. I really did just buy that as a plaything. I have almost exclusively referred to Bookface, SL, useful screen caps of the movie, Shadow FX etc...in sculpting the mask and helmet. Certain pics from some are useful in certain areas, and other ones useful on other parts. I've collected a small library of pics as well as my go to bookmarked pages.
I'll try to describe what I'm thinking when sculpting from an artistic view here...originally, I was aiming for an ANH helmet. In my head, the ANH seems more enveloping around the head than the others - it's hard to describe and could probably very well be just the way it's mounted. There has been a heavy influence of the SL Vader helmet and pics online, many through forums here and elsewhere, in helping me get at the proportion and shape of the helmet. To my mind's eye, I see volume in the helmet that looks to wrap around and down around the eyes and temple area. I spent a lot of time in getting the profile of the dome to sit around the eye/temple area with the volume that I see in my mind, trying to capture screen shots into the sculpt in front of me. It's not easy, and takes a lot of rework till I think I have it right, I try to use surrounding structures to help me get proportions and size. A perfect example is the cheek/mouth areas. Different pictures reveal different parts of the mask and I use those to help determine angles, size etc. A perfect example of when it doesn't work so well is the neck, I've found that part challenging to do.
There is another clay sculpt that is in the works, what you're seeing now is an offshoot of that, which was made to give my son a helmet for a couple of Cons at the time. I then wanted to repurpose that cast and that is the one you're seeing these days.
The clay sculpt I am still working on is the Big One, the one I really want to get as right as I can. I haven't shown much of it lately as I've focused on this current cast first. Now that it's nearly out of the way, I'll be focusing back on the final clay cast.
Hope this clears it up somewhat...while the Rubies has influenced the concanve cheeks and therefore the path of the tubes in this particular mask, I have used the other big name sculpts as my main references. It is true that the main purpose of the Rubies helmet in my thread here has been to show relative sizes of mine so that you all can get a better idea of how big my sculpts are.
...and I certainly welcome your feedback. In this case we all see the same thing differently, my work will of course give people different opinions because it's been done without a lineaged prop on hand (apart from the Rubies!? :p), and can only be nothing more than my interpretation made at a distance.

Last edited:
Looking at the left hand tube the bottom does not extend to the end of the face and the top is fairly stright and level with the bottom. On the Rubies the top tube sink in ALOT. Haso's right hand too tube curves a bit more but I wouldn't say it sinks in.

Yeah, I think that the mask's right hand top tube looks 'thinner' when viewed front on, either because it is, because of the cheek curvature, or both. The tubes have all been completely redone on the sculpt WIP I have in progress because I really want to try to get where they merge together as right as I can.

All good, please feel free to provide feedback, and it was interesting to hear about the scale of the Rubies in comparison to full scale, I didn't know that. I do agree that the Rubies cheeks are more concave.

The Rubies is smaller in the mask than it should be but wider in the crown of the helmet so I suppose it's not true to say it is altogether smaller, just from certain point of view as Obi Wan says :)
I do think your sculpt is just amazing, the best scratch sculpt I've seen quite possibly.
If there are any measurements that I can get from my EFX to assist just PM me no probs.

It never occurred to me. I could have taken any pic you wanted of my CFO helmet! Its derived from a cast that came from the ESB production molds.

Is it to late for that kind of reference?

I don't know if this will help, but I have a video on YouTube showing 360 degree turns of 3 different angles of the EFX ANH Vader Limited Edition helmet. It's shot with a 50mm prime lens, so it is kind of how your eye would see the mask. I know yours isn't ANH style, but the face plate should be similar.

360 EFX Limited Vader Helmet link

You mask looks great! I wish I had the skill to make this.

I don't know if this will help, but I have a video on YouTube showing 360 degree turns of 3 different angles of the EFX ANH Vader Limited Edition helmet. It's shot with a 50mm prime lens, so it is kind of how your eye would see the mask. I know yours isn't ANH style, but the face plate should be similar.

360 EFX Limited Vader Helmet link

You mask looks great! I wish I had the skill to make this.

Thanks! I will check it out. I do have an ANH sculpt on the go so I'll have a look.

I still plan a couple of YouTube vids for the helmets and Kid Vader suit. It will likely be around the second weekend in August that I can do the first one on this helmet and one on the Kid Vader suit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back