Vader Costumers!

This image below which I have had to double in size is a photo taken in natural lighting and it does not suffer from over saturation. You will notice that the lenses are NOT glowing red. In fact you will not find any pics of Vader off screen where his lenses look red. It's only on screen that they appear that way.

Grabbed these pics from another thread to prove a point. We know that AT-AT and TIE helmet lenses are grey tinted, looking black when no light is shinning directly on them but from the pics below you could be mistaken for thinking the lenses are red.

coveralls_att1.jpg

post-6726-1144001612.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 6 2006, 02:59 AM) [snapback]1239272[/snapback]</div>
unretouched image....

ANHMakingofSW.jpg

[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 6 2006, 03:16 AM) [snapback]1239279[/snapback]</div>

The Top pic, is useless to prove your point. Even the helmet, wich is black, are in some spots, the same color as the lenses.
The last pic is useless to prove your point. The skin CLEARLY shows throu the lenses.
ALOT more evidence is pointing towards the Gray/brownish color, just look at some of the pics in this thread, where you have Kermit in the sunlight, and no color distortion.

So unless you have a pic of the mask with out a head in it, or better yet, from the inside, we have more prove of the Grey/brownish color.

Sorry but this looks like another graniy way to impose your personal oppinion on people, and unsupported with facts. :thumbsdown

BTW do you own the top pic, since you are putting your initials on it??

Dan

I'm inclined to agree. Its very difficult to make out anything from those photographs. What we need is someone to take some pics with different coloured lenses, but they have to be wearing the full suit. If someone is generous enough with their time?

I still reckon that because it was hot in there some of the flushing of the face would show through the lenses.

There's an interesting interview on Dave Prowse's website where he talks about the colour of the lenses in ANH...he says that at first gray lenses were test fitted in the helmet but were too transparent..they were then changed to what DP calls a "dark amber lense" at GLs request.....check it out...

http://www.darthvader-starwars.com/index.p...id=12&Itemid=23

Until someone can get pix of the actual ANH helmet in neutral lighting conditions....NO ONE can say definitively that they were gray or red or whatever colour....

BTW...the interview in in the "Latest News" section, Channel 4 interview, clip 2...about 2 minutes in where DV talks about the helmet, lenses, etc...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 6 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]1239463[/snapback]</div>
Until someone can get pix of the actual ANH helmet in neutral lighting conditions....NO ONE can say definitively that they were gray or red or whatever colour....
[/b]

EXCATLY my point.
WE NEED FACTS and not opinions.
Opinions is good for discussion, and not for imposing them, on others, and say, “ it’s how it is, or go stuff it.”

Dan

I'm open to possibilities. Here's something I found while looking at SW last night...do the R2 experts know if his main eye lense was a neutral color?

R2lense.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ May 6 2006, 03:32 AM) [snapback]1239337[/snapback]</div>

Kermy6.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 6 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]1239463[/snapback]</div>
There's an interesting interview on Dave Prowse's website where he talks about the colour of the lenses in ANH...he says that at first gray lenses were test fitted in the helmet but were too transparent..they were then changed to what DP calls a "dark amber lense" at GLs request.....check it out...

[/b]

Imagine that....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 6 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]1239557[/snapback]</div>
I'm open to possibilities. Here's something I found while looking at SW last night...do the R2 experts know if his main eye lense was a neutral color?

R2lense.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ May 6 2006, 03:32 AM) [snapback]1239337[/snapback]

Kermy6.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 6 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]1239463[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

Imagine that....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Phaeton @ May 6 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]1239429[/snapback]</div>
Sorry but this looks like another graniy way to impose your personal oppinion on people, and unsupported with facts. :thumbsdown

[/b]

What's your problem, Dan? I have nothing against you and have complimented your Vader and you continue to attack me with accusations and insults.
[/b][/quote]

I do thank you for complimenting my vader, and I really appriciate it.
Nothing against you what so ever SL. but your attitude in regards to sharing facts and precise info, is what rubbing me. I have stated this before, so it shoulden't come as a chok. My main goal is to broaden the info in regard to this black character, and get anyone with the " I know, but I won't share" attitude to stop getting involved, as they don't add anything to the thrad, apart from hot air. so basicly you can cook it down to this "Share it or don't bother answering"
Anything unsupported ani't worth anything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Phaeton @ May 6 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]1239569[/snapback]</div>
I do thank you for complimenting my vader, and I really appriciate it.
Nothing against you what so ever SL. but your attitude in regards to sharing facts and precise info, is what rubbing me. I have stated this before, so it shoulden't come as a chok. My main goal is to broaden the info in regard to this black character, and get anyone with the " I know, but I won't share" attitude to stop getting involved, as they don't add anything to the thrad, apart from hot air. so basicly you can cook it down to this "Share it or don't bother answering"
Anything unsupported ani't worth anything.
[/b]

Fair enough. Please keep in mind that each one of us here contributes in their own way to a thread...and offer what they can or feel like offering. I'm not trying to lead people on with mysteries but offering what I am able to offer. If I turn out to be wrong about a point, fine, but I also like to see counter evidence. It's a give-and-take. Some have entrusted me with information they prefer not be on the forums, so I will honor that. You take that as some kind of attitude I have. If it bothers you, then you say I know nothing. How will that help the discussion?

If you think that when I say "the lenses are dark amber in color" or "the green lights are too tall" do you think it's an insult? You certainly take it as one.

I can tell you what I have lost my patience with, are people that use information they obtain in good faith in order to make monetary profit from it at the expense of other collectors. That is why I will not share everything here.

If you say I have nothing to share...then you will see nothing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 6 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1239579[/snapback]</div>
If you think that when I say "the lenses are dark amber in color" or "the green lights are too tall" do you think it's an insult? You certainly take it as one.

I can tell you what I have lost my patience with, are people that use information they obtain in good faith in order to make monetary profit from it at the expense of other collectors. That is why I will not share everything here.

If you say I have nothing to share...then you will see nothing.
[/b]

I don't take it as an insult, I just chalange you to back, what your saying with fact and evidence, anything else is useless.
Well if you feel, that people, with whom you have lost your paitiance with, should be the reason for not sharing, then it's your decision, but what a sad thing to let people influence you with.
Nothing it is then. I'm not worried.

BTW what was all of this about?? Are you the grand keymaster to the LFL archives, or is just another way to keep the suspence going, or what??
"And....in time...perhaps next year....I'll be able to come through for everyone here..... "

To me...it's case closed...they were a dark amber colour. I guess we could endlessly debate that Prowse doesn't remember, or doesn't know what he's talking about. But when the guy who actually wore the helmet in the movie says that's what colour they are...I tend to believe it. I dunno....call me wacky. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 6 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]1239592[/snapback]</div>
To me...it's case closed...they were a dark amber colour. I guess we could endlessly debate that Prowse doesn't remember, or doesn't know what he's talking about. But when the guy who actually wore the helmet in the movie says that's what colour they are...I tend to believe it. I dunno....call me wacky. :p
[/b]

As it is right now, I'll proberly use the same color in my helmet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Phaeton @ May 6 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]1239597[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 6 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]1239592[/snapback]
[/b]

As it is right now, I'll proberly use the same color in my helmet.
[/b][/quote]

I hear ya Dan...it's interesting to debate these details, but sometimes we collectively hit a wall. It's all conjecture on our part. Like I said, unless we can get ahold of the original ANH helmet...we just don't know with 100% certainty....

I agree with the comment about the colour of the lense in the R2 screengrab. I've also looked at the interview with Dave from channel 4, god he's showing his age. If he says that he wore dark amber lenses he wore dark amber lenses.

I see where you are all coming from in regards to details , but in the end we'd all like to have a screen accurate Vader to call our own.

Has anyone managed to persuade starwars.com to let us have some bigger versions of these photos yet? :p

Well I have to say its a fantastic way to win an argument when you can just respond to any claim with "I know as I have access to restricted information that you will never see".

Ya know what, the ANH lenses were grey. I know this as I have access to restricted information that I can't show you. But trust me, their grey.

The way I see it, with holding information simply hurts the collectors by restricting the replicas we can actually buy or make.

I should also point out that Dave Prowse thinks the Vader helmet was all black and not two toned and he may be remembering the colour from ESB or ROTJ. But I would rather take DP's word than that of someone who simply says they know but can't actually prove it.

So does this now mean we are all dumping the idea of the lenses being red and are now returning back to them being amber/brown or the new grey?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ May 7 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]1239656[/snapback]</div>
So does this now mean we are all dumping the idea of the lenses being red and are now returning back to them being amber/brown or the new grey?
[/b]
Well, my personal opinion, based on having acquired red lenses and found them to look odd when put in the mask, I would say that the red option is definitely not correct. But, as I said, this is purely my own opinion.

I will still use the red lenses in the mask, but my next lense purchase will most likely be another color just to see how that looks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ May 6 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]1239656[/snapback]</div>
I should also point out that Dave Prowse thinks the Vader helmet was all black and not two toned and he may be remembering the colour from ESB or ROTJ. But I would rather take DP's word than that of someone who simply says they know but can't actually prove it.[/b]

Well, he seemed lucid enough to remember that the dark lenses restricted his vision enough that he knocked over Alec Guiness in the saber battle....so I would think he knows which film he is referring to....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ May 6 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]1239656[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

Amber lenses combined with bright lights would certainly give the perception of red lenses...gray would not. And the guy who wore the helmet and looked through the lenses said they were amber....not gray, not brown or red. Then yup....amber it is.

I should also point out that Dave Prowse thinks the Vader helmet was all black and not two toned and he may be remembering the colour from ESB or ROTJ. But I would rather take DP's word than that of someone who simply says they know but can't actually prove it.
[/b]

Mollo and Muir confirmed that the original ANH was at first black and then later painted the two-toned scheme....so Dave was correct in a manner of speaking...I'm beginning to think that "original" means something else in the UK than what it means in North Amercian English? Maybe it is commonly used to mean "first"? Our use of "original" on this forum means not a replica...

Here's an example of the dark amber color...

GHANHm1.jpg

And here's an example with a dark orange color...with and without flash...identical helmet...

JBV2master2Lense.jpg

The same helmet again...different lighting..."white" light.

JBV2a.jpg

And another helmet with smoky grey lenses...

SPFXESBlense.jpg

Here's an example of the dark amber color...

GHANHm1.jpg

I like the look of this one. Thanks for posting these.

Regarding the use of the word "original" in the UK vocabulary , it does in fact mean the first of anything.

We should try to contact Kermit Eller, if anyone else could tell us he would - he probably wore the original suit longer than Dave Prowse.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back