Vader Costumers!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Phaeton @ Apr 26 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]1233555[/snapback]</div>
If you see at the pic, of Kermit in the suit, the one where He points, in color. You can CLEARLY see that they are dark Gray/smoked. no doubt about it. When wee see the "redish" tinted lenses, in the movie, is it due to the skin around the eyes, reflecting the stagelighting.

Dan
[/b]

The Kermit pics are in daylight...that contrast compared to light inside the helmet would make any color lense look dark. I have different colored lenses on my helmets and see the same effect.

I'll post an image later today showing the color of the ANH lenses...and that it is not on account of Dave's complexion ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ Apr 28 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]1234802[/snapback]</div>
The Kermit pics are in daylight...that contrast compared to light inside the helmet would make any color lense look dark. I have different colored lenses on my helmets and see the same effect.

I'll post an image later today showing the color of the ANH lenses...and that it is not on account of Dave's complexion ;)
[/b]

time to put your money where your mouth is...

Paul, do some screen stills off the DVD and you can see a definitive red/amber color to the lense from the side in one shot. I just saw it yesterday. Froml that Angle, Prowse's skin isn't visible. What Sithlord says.....be true. :)

Dave

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vaderdarth @ May 3 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]1237634[/snapback]</div>
Paul, do some screen stills off the DVD and you can see a definitive red/amber color to the lense from the side in one shot. I just saw it yesterday. Froml that Angle, Prowse's skin isn't visible. What Sithlord says.....be true. :)
Dave
[/b]
Sorry, but you don't think stage lighting and post production manipulation can alter the look of something as the color of lenses? Heck, they colored lightsabers... so why not also the lenses. And since the image itself had deteriorated over time and had to be restored, digitally, then how can you really trust ANY of the contrast or colors in that movie that was transferred onto dvd - we all remember Vader as being blue in those pre-restoration shots they showed to let all know what they did.

Anyone knowing just a little bit about cameras and taking pictures will know that the colors on the pictures are not always similar to those on the real thing. Just look at the stark difference between the screen color of the Fett helmet and then the color on the actual prop and you'll all know what I'm talking about.

Consider that the inside of the faceplate will be pitch dark. The studio lights will be shining into the faceplate through the lenses. Therefore, the hue of Dave's face will take on the hue of the lenses, which is the color we see, regardless of the angle/reflections and as long as there is sufficient lighting...

EyeLenseANHcolor.jpg

I wouldn't trust any screencap to determine color. If the lens was clear enough and gray, then I would think the lens would look reddish due to the color of his skin underneath. He even said he started painting dark circles around his eyes so people couldn't see them.

I thought the scenes in the TIE fighter was proof enough the lenses were red. You couldn't help but see the red lenses and Dave's eyes in that scene. In the theatres. In 1977.

Also Marvel comics did their adaptation and gave Vader red eyes because thats what the lenses were.

I even recall reading an article saying that one of the changes made in Empire Strikes Back was giving Vader smoked lenses instead of red. I'm pretty sure that was in Starlog circa 1980.

I've had Vader helmets with at least four distinct lense colors...and my skin color hasn't changed :D, whereas the hue of the lense can be seen clearly and distinctly because there's no light coming from inside the helmet. Light goes in, is filtered by the lense, the skin absorbs that filtered light, and reflects much of it. There's no bioluminescence there ;)...the color is largely a result of the lense color. Maybe I'll demo that over the weekend and get photos. Also, those are not just screencaps but still color photos as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 4 2006, 04:35 AM) [snapback]1238015[/snapback]</div>
Consider that the inside of the faceplate will be pitch dark. The studio lights will be shining into the faceplate through the lenses. Therefore, the hue of Dave's face will take on the hue of the lenses, which is the color we see, regardless of the angle/reflections and as long as there is sufficient lighting...
[/b]

The inside of the faceplate will not be pitch black if you are shinning a powerfull stage light into it. Therefore, the hue of the lenses you see will be a combination of Dave's skin tone and the lense colour. If you placed two different coloured filters over one another and shine a light through them the colour you see wouldn't be that of the first filter but a combination.

Maybe you should study the Hyperspace pic more closely as you can see Ellers skin through the lenses and they look no where near as red as the screen caps you posted.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ May 4 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]1238513[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 4 2006, 04:35 AM) [snapback]1238015[/snapback]
[/b]

The inside of the faceplate will not be pitch black if you are shinning a powerfull stage light into it. Therefore, the hue of the lenses you see will be a combination of Dave's skin tone and the lense colour. If you placed two different coloured filters over one another and shine a light through them the colour you see wouldn't be that of the first filter but a combination.

Maybe you should study the Hyperspace pic more closely as you can see Ellers skin through the lenses and they look no where near as red as the screen caps you posted.
[/b][/quote]

Understood...and true. However, I do think that the lenses were a reddish (/amber) to start with but perhaps midway through filming they were darkened....or even changed when the suit went on tour. Since the Tantive scenes were among the last filmed...maybe it was noted that the red lenses were too transparent as DP's eyes are visible in many shots and a darker film was added to the lenses to make them more opaque by the time they filmed Vader in the Tantive scenes. I say this because they enhanced the red lenses for the DVD release...why enhance them in red? Also, the lenses are red in ROTS....why use red? Why not black or grey? Because the red looks more evil and I think this is what was intended. But by the time they got to ESB , perhaps the red lenses were too hard to film and they switched to a more opaque colour....

Of course, this is all spectulation on my part....but I see the logic....

Here's Kermit...

ANHlensecolorKermit.jpg

In bright light, some of the light will also internally reflect in the lense material itself. Yes there will be contribution of reflection from the skin, but I just don't think you would get that much of a reddish-brown color especially since Dave's complexion is not that color.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 5 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]1238868[/snapback]</div>
Here's Kermit...

ANHlensecolorKermit.jpg

In bright light, some of the light will also internally reflect in the lense material itself. Yes there will be contribution of reflection from the skin, but I just don't think you would get that much of a reddish-brown color especially since Dave's complexion is not that color.
[/b]

You Can't use THAT pic to prove the red lense thing, The picture ain't that good to use. If you look at the left inside of the helmet, it also appears redish, and we know that ain't true.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 5 2006, 01:39 AM) [snapback]1238593[/snapback]</div>
Since the Tantive scenes were among the last filmed...maybe it was noted that the red lenses were too transparent as DP's eyes are visible in many shots and a darker film was added to the lenses to make them more opaque by the time they filmed Vader in the Tantive scenes. I say this because they enhanced the red lenses for the DVD release...why enhance them in red? Also, the lenses are red in ROTS....why use red? Why not black or grey? Because the red looks more evil and I think this is what was intended. But by the time they got to ESB , perhaps the red lenses were too hard to film and they switched to a more opaque colour....
Of course, this is all spectulation on my part....but I see the logic....
[/b]

In regards darkening the lenses towards the end of filming this would not appear to be the case as Kermit Eller admits to darkening his face to hide his eyes. I believe they made the ROTS lenses red for the simple reason that they look red on film irregardless of whether the actual lenses were red or not.

Does anyone have detailed pics of Kermit Eller or more information on him?

Can anyone post the pics from the first post?

I'd like to see what everyone is talking about. :D

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back