Vader Costumers!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by JHVanOphem, Apr 21, 2006.

1. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

2. sithlord23

sithlord23 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

* HyperSpace. I can't see it.

3. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Yeah, can't see it, not a Hyperspace member. Is it about Kermit?

4. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay, its been officially confirmed, the very first DV on tour was the original costume. SO all of you guys who met Vader at a TRU probably had the chance to see and touch the real deal.
    Great article .

Michael

5. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

SWEET. I have pix of that suit. It looked pretty real to me and even back then I was a stickler for a good costume. Now to dig up them pix and scan them.

6. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

What.? Not a tour suit.??.?.? :lol

7. fettpride

fettpride Well-Known Member

Awe c'mon, can't I just post the pics minus the hyperspace logo ? :lol

Seriously tho, I had never seen him without the mask before. He looked
    like a "Baby Huey" type back then :lol By that I only mean ... a huge guy,
    with a serious "Baby" face ... ya know, the innocence? But probably dangerous
    if ya ticked him off :lol

FP

8. Victorious-Jay

Victorious-Jay Well-Known Member

Dammit... I paid for that * hyperspace for months and didn't use it. Now that there's something I actually want to read my account is expired. Can anyone help?

-Jason M

9. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can't view it either, can anyone help?

10. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Victorious-Jay @ Apr 22 2006, 01:36 AM) [snapback]1231000[/snapback]</div>
    Same here

11. jedivigneri

jedivigneri Well-Known Member

I have hyperspace...its a GREAT article and the best thing they have put up in a long time...pm me...curt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boba Frett @ Apr 22 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]1231056[/snapback]</div>
    Same here
    [/b][/quote]

12. cking

cking Sr Member

It's an awesome interview with several new photos from the photo shoot taken outside Don Post Studios.
    If anyone knows how to get hold of some larger versions of the photos featured in the article, I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

Kermit Eller must know more about the screen used ANH Vader suit than any other person involved in the production of ANH. Very cool.

Chris

13. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

Print Screen damnit
    Print Screen...

14. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Unbelievable article and photos although most of the photos I've seen before....

It does beg the question...were "tour suits" only used for promotional purposes? It seems there was a whirlwind tour with Kermit with the release of SW....that was probably Kermit at the airport with that rock group I suppose as well...

The TRU images taken of Kermit that we've seen before...if that's him...show unpainted armor...strange...

But you can see in the color images the armor's painted but in B&W it doesn't look painted...strange as well if lighting can do that much?

Great to see this come out....I wonder what prompted it...

15. cking

cking Sr Member

I don't think that's Kermit in those Toys R Us appearance photos. That person is a lot shorter (you can tell because the belt, chestbox and chest armor are overlapping very badly).
    It's not the real leather suit in that TRU pic either. Weird. Maybe this is one of the other suits that was mentioned in the article?

Chris

16. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

*. my membership expired too. I let it go as there wasn't anything worth seeing. :( I don't suppose anyone would ...

17. paulcarson

Is there any way we can get hold of Kermit? I'd like to know for sure what colour the lenses were in the helmet .

18. Darth Phaeton

Darth Phaeton Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulcarson @ Apr 24 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]1232345[/snapback]</div>
    If you see at the pic, of Kermit in the suit, the one where He points, in color. You can CLEARLY see that they are dark Gray/smoked. no doubt about it. When wee see the "redish" tinted lenses, in the movie, is it due to the skin around the eyes, reflecting the stagelighting.

Dan

19. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Phaeton @ Apr 26 2006, 08:03 PM) [snapback]1233555[/snapback]</div>
    Or created in post production. :)

20. paulcarson

You know, that was always my thoughts on that. I think the fact that Dave was sweating buckets :cry had a lot to do with the colour of his face behind the mask.

21. Slasher X

Slasher X Well-Known Member

Wish I could see the pics. :(

22. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Phaeton @ Apr 26 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]1233555[/snapback]</div>

The Kermit pics are in daylight...that contrast compared to light inside the helmet would make any color lense look dark. I have different colored lenses on my helmets and see the same effect.

I'll post an image later today showing the color of the ANH lenses...and that it is not on account of Dave's complexion ;)

23. paulcarson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ Apr 28 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]1234802[/snapback]</div>

time to put your money where your mouth is...

24. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Paul, do some screen stills off the DVD and you can see a definitive red/amber color to the lense from the side in one shot. I just saw it yesterday. Froml that Angle, Prowse's skin isn't visible. What Sithlord says.....be true. :)

Dave

25. paulcarson

Thanks Dave , I'll take a look.

26. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vaderdarth @ May 3 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]1237634[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, but you don't think stage lighting and post production manipulation can alter the look of something as the color of lenses? Heck, they colored lightsabers... so why not also the lenses. And since the image itself had deteriorated over time and had to be restored, digitally, then how can you really trust ANY of the contrast or colors in that movie that was transferred onto dvd - we all remember Vader as being blue in those pre-restoration shots they showed to let all know what they did.

Anyone knowing just a little bit about cameras and taking pictures will know that the colors on the pictures are not always similar to those on the real thing. Just look at the stark difference between the screen color of the Fett helmet and then the color on the actual prop and you'll all know what I'm talking about.

27. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Consider that the inside of the faceplate will be pitch dark. The studio lights will be shining into the faceplate through the lenses. Therefore, the hue of Dave's face will take on the hue of the lenses, which is the color we see, regardless of the angle/reflections and as long as there is sufficient lighting...

[​IMG]

28. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I wouldn't trust any screencap to determine color. If the lens was clear enough and gray, then I would think the lens would look reddish due to the color of his skin underneath. He even said he started painting dark circles around his eyes so people couldn't see them.

29. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

30. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the pic, but isn´t this a ROTJ Vader?

May I dust it off? ;)

Markus

31. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

I thought the scenes in the TIE fighter was proof enough the lenses were red. You couldn't help but see the red lenses and Dave's eyes in that scene. In the theatres. In 1977.

Also Marvel comics did their adaptation and gave Vader red eyes because thats what the lenses were.

I even recall reading an article saying that one of the changes made in Empire Strikes Back was giving Vader smoked lenses instead of red. I'm pretty sure that was in Starlog circa 1980.

32. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I've had Vader helmets with at least four distinct lense colors...and my skin color hasn't changed :D, whereas the hue of the lense can be seen clearly and distinctly because there's no light coming from inside the helmet. Light goes in, is filtered by the lense, the skin absorbs that filtered light, and reflects much of it. There's no bioluminescence there ;)...the color is largely a result of the lense color. Maybe I'll demo that over the weekend and get photos. Also, those are not just screencaps but still color photos as well.

33. RKW

RKW Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 4 2006, 04:35 AM) [snapback]1238015[/snapback]</div>
    The inside of the faceplate will not be pitch black if you are shinning a powerfull stage light into it. Therefore, the hue of the lenses you see will be a combination of Dave's skin tone and the lense colour. If you placed two different coloured filters over one another and shine a light through them the colour you see wouldn't be that of the first filter but a combination.

Maybe you should study the Hyperspace pic more closely as you can see Ellers skin through the lenses and they look no where near as red as the screen caps you posted.

34. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ May 4 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]1238513[/snapback]</div>
    The inside of the faceplate will not be pitch black if you are shinning a powerfull stage light into it. Therefore, the hue of the lenses you see will be a combination of Dave's skin tone and the lense colour. If you placed two different coloured filters over one another and shine a light through them the colour you see wouldn't be that of the first filter but a combination.

Maybe you should study the Hyperspace pic more closely as you can see Ellers skin through the lenses and they look no where near as red as the screen caps you posted.
    [/b][/quote]

Understood...and true. However, I do think that the lenses were a reddish (/amber) to start with but perhaps midway through filming they were darkened....or even changed when the suit went on tour. Since the Tantive scenes were among the last filmed...maybe it was noted that the red lenses were too transparent as DP's eyes are visible in many shots and a darker film was added to the lenses to make them more opaque by the time they filmed Vader in the Tantive scenes. I say this because they enhanced the red lenses for the DVD release...why enhance them in red? Also, the lenses are red in ROTS....why use red? Why not black or grey? Because the red looks more evil and I think this is what was intended. But by the time they got to ESB , perhaps the red lenses were too hard to film and they switched to a more opaque colour....

Of course, this is all spectulation on my part....but I see the logic....

35. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Here's Kermit...

[​IMG]

In bright light, some of the light will also internally reflect in the lense material itself. Yes there will be contribution of reflection from the skin, but I just don't think you would get that much of a reddish-brown color especially since Dave's complexion is not that color.

36. Darth Phaeton

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 5 2006, 01:56 PM) [snapback]1238868[/snapback]</div>

You Can't use THAT pic to prove the red lense thing, The picture ain't that good to use. If you look at the left inside of the helmet, it also appears redish, and we know that ain't true.

37. RKW

RKW Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 5 2006, 01:39 AM) [snapback]1238593[/snapback]</div>
    In regards darkening the lenses towards the end of filming this would not appear to be the case as Kermit Eller admits to darkening his face to hide his eyes. I believe they made the ROTS lenses red for the simple reason that they look red on film irregardless of whether the actual lenses were red or not.

38. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does anyone have detailed pics of Kermit Eller or more information on him?

Can anyone post the pics from the first post?

I'd like to see what everyone is talking about. :D

39. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

unretouched image....

[​IMG]

40. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

41. RKW

RKW Sr Member

This image below which I have had to double in size is a photo taken in natural lighting and it does not suffer from over saturation. You will notice that the lenses are NOT glowing red. In fact you will not find any pics of Vader off screen where his lenses look red. It's only on screen that they appear that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

42. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Grabbed these pics from another thread to prove a point. We know that AT-AT and TIE helmet lenses are grey tinted, looking black when no light is shinning directly on them but from the pics below you could be mistaken for thinking the lenses are red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

43. Darth Phaeton

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 6 2006, 02:59 AM) [snapback]1239272[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 6 2006, 03:16 AM) [snapback]1239279[/snapback]</div>
    The Top pic, is useless to prove your point. Even the helmet, wich is black, are in some spots, the same color as the lenses.
    The last pic is useless to prove your point. The skin CLEARLY shows throu the lenses.
    ALOT more evidence is pointing towards the Gray/brownish color, just look at some of the pics in this thread, where you have Kermit in the sunlight, and no color distortion.

So unless you have a pic of the mask with out a head in it, or better yet, from the inside, we have more prove of the Grey/brownish color.

Sorry but this looks like another graniy way to impose your personal oppinion on people, and unsupported with facts. :thumbsdown

BTW do you own the top pic, since you are putting your initials on it??

Dan

44. paulcarson

I'm inclined to agree. Its very difficult to make out anything from those photographs. What we need is someone to take some pics with different coloured lenses, but they have to be wearing the full suit. If someone is generous enough with their time?

I still reckon that because it was hot in there some of the flushing of the face would show through the lenses.

45. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

There's an interesting interview on Dave Prowse's website where he talks about the colour of the lenses in ANH...he says that at first gray lenses were test fitted in the helmet but were too transparent..they were then changed to what DP calls a "dark amber lense" at GLs request.....check it out...

http://www.darthvader-starwars.com/index.p...id=12&Itemid=23

Until someone can get pix of the actual ANH helmet in neutral lighting conditions....NO ONE can say definitively that they were gray or red or whatever colour....

BTW...the interview in in the "Latest News" section, Channel 4 interview, clip 2...about 2 minutes in where DV talks about the helmet, lenses, etc...

46. Darth Phaeton

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 6 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]1239463[/snapback]</div>
    EXCATLY my point.
    WE NEED FACTS and not opinions.
    Opinions is good for discussion, and not for imposing them, on others, and say, “ it’s how it is, or go stuff it.”

Dan

47. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I'm open to possibilities. Here's something I found while looking at SW last night...do the R2 experts know if his main eye lense was a neutral color?

[​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RKW @ May 6 2006, 03:32 AM) [snapback]1239337[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 6 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]1239463[/snapback]</div>

Imagine that....

48. Darth Phaeton

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 6 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]1239557[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ May 6 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]1239463[/snapback]</div>

Imagine that....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Phaeton @ May 6 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]1239429[/snapback]</div>

What's your problem, Dan? I have nothing against you and have complimented your Vader and you continue to attack me with accusations and insults.
    [/b][/quote]

I do thank you for complimenting my vader, and I really appriciate it.
    Nothing against you what so ever SL. but your attitude in regards to sharing facts and precise info, is what rubbing me. I have stated this before, so it shoulden't come as a chok. My main goal is to broaden the info in regard to this black character, and get anyone with the " I know, but I won't share" attitude to stop getting involved, as they don't add anything to the thrad, apart from hot air. so basicly you can cook it down to this "Share it or don't bother answering"
    Anything unsupported ani't worth anything.

49. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Phaeton @ May 6 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]1239569[/snapback]</div>

Fair enough. Please keep in mind that each one of us here contributes in their own way to a thread...and offer what they can or feel like offering. I'm not trying to lead people on with mysteries but offering what I am able to offer. If I turn out to be wrong about a point, fine, but I also like to see counter evidence. It's a give-and-take. Some have entrusted me with information they prefer not be on the forums, so I will honor that. You take that as some kind of attitude I have. If it bothers you, then you say I know nothing. How will that help the discussion?

If you think that when I say "the lenses are dark amber in color" or "the green lights are too tall" do you think it's an insult? You certainly take it as one.

I can tell you what I have lost my patience with, are people that use information they obtain in good faith in order to make monetary profit from it at the expense of other collectors. That is why I will not share everything here.

If you say I have nothing to share...then you will see nothing.

50. Darth Phaeton

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ May 6 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]1239579[/snapback]</div>
    I don't take it as an insult, I just chalange you to back, what your saying with fact and evidence, anything else is useless.
    Well if you feel, that people, with whom you have lost your paitiance with, should be the reason for not sharing, then it's your decision, but what a sad thing to let people influence you with.
    Nothing it is then. I'm not worried.

BTW what was all of this about?? Are you the grand keymaster to the LFL archives, or is just another way to keep the suspence going, or what??
    "And....in time...perhaps next year....I'll be able to come through for everyone here..... "