V For Vendetta Wire Tap Scrambler

Found a few of these at a local CVS... $6.99 a pop...

Now that I have some, I'm in the middle of taking one apart. Damn, these are cheap crap. And that grease on the springs is nasty stuff.

As far as 'modding' goes, I think you could fit a small battery inside the second 'neck' part, the bit that latches into the bottom. But then you'd have a problem placing the on/off switch... could try a magnetic reed switch, with a small rare earth magnet in the base of the unit.

Good luck to all.

-Mike

the hard part is making it still stay closed and open and have the LED turn on, its all controlled in that top right corner inside when the pivot spins and turns on the LED, youd have to wire the new LED to that same spot.

1_5.jpg

2_3.jpg

-Mike

I was thinking the easiest thing would be just to open the top segment and switch-out the LED.

Maybe open the body & add a resistor.

God knows how they assemble these things in the factory...

-Mike

scarily enough, i hit walgreens tonight.

these were on sale for 4$ a pop, but they had ANOTHER version that was identical to this booklight, but it has an fm radio in it :lol

i ended up with both. no ideas how to wire it, and im scared to take it apart due to the "IGH" posts i have read in this thread. i think itll sit on the shelf and just look really really close to the movie used one. maybe just some red paint to show it off a bit :lol

if anyone has tips or tricks to fix this puppy up, feel free to share em.

chris

A few months ago, there was a need for a couple of those pop-out book lights, so there was a few spares around for modifications. I think they were from Walgreens around Christmas.
Since it was seen in Vendetta as a scrambler prop, it was a good "blinky project" for a friend of mine to attempt. :)

vendettaprop0z.jpg

3vendettaprops8v.jpg

He did say that he changed the white LED to an Ultra bright RED one, but said that it was probebly unlikely that the studio would go though the effort of doing that, and instead colored the existing white led, with a red felt marker or red transparent gel, to make it red and tone it down.

any ideas on the paint used for the black?? i didnt see any black chrome ones, but i really dig that finish on there.

looks too matte to be a semi gloss, but too glossy to be a matte.

very cool link btw.

chris

Has anyone tried to color change it by just felt-markering red? It sounds so crazy that it may just work. I'd do it but I don't have a red Sharpie at the moment. :lol

if only I could find one of these things.
honestly, its not that hard to rewire it to have a LED in it.
and you simply use a button battery.
you can but the battery holders at radioshack.
I'd love to make a tutorial if someone could donate one to me :)
I'm dissapointed in my local walgreens, they usually have everything.

-Scott

Does anyone have access to these lights? I'd like to get one, but there are no Walgreens in Canada that I know of.

hell...there's walgreens all over near me and i still can't find one...if anyone knows a store in the philly area that has them let me know...skott

ps - the light is shown in the commercial and the opening credits of a show called "i want that"...every time it comes on my wife says it's taunting me (she's been looking and hasn't seen it anywhere either)

i colored my light with red glass spray paint.

ill take pics later. looks damned close to the movie one (that little ring of white near the base).

still havent found a good black color though.
chris

I got 2 at Walgreens the other day...SALE.. TWO FOR $5.00. Anyhow, I re-wired the system and moved the batteries so I can cut off the majority of the body, to make it look like the movie one....The only thing I am having trouble with is closing off that gaping hole left behind. I dont have any pictures yet, but I will soon. Cheers.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back