V For Vendetta Wire Tap Scrambler

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Kylash, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ive had one of these for about 2 weeks, picked it up at the register at Walgreens cause it openned up all cool and unfolds itself. It's a pocket sized book light for $2.99. Just went and finally saw V For Vendetta today and saw they used it as a prop. It's the scrambler that the police and V use to scramble wiretaps when theyre talking about sensetive stuff to make sure no one is listening. It appears all they did was maybepaint some areas black and change the bright white LED to a red one.

[​IMG]

2. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool find. Does anyone have any screen grabs of it in the film? Just in case there are more than one model of these?

Any chance you could get more Kylash?

3. Kylash

i could definetly get more :) Screencaps would be great though.

4. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They also shortened the body length in half, and yes, it does appear to be painted a darked gray/bronzish color.(except for the crome top piece.
    Ive been having the darndest time finding caps...no surpise, its only shown twice, maybe three times in the pic.

5. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've seen those at Brookstone as well, although I don't remember the price.

6. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

im heading to the store later on tonight to get some shopping done. whats the brand name on these and ill see if my local one carries em as well.

thanks.
    chris

7. Kylash

no brand name or copyright, they were just in a box near the register at Walgreens

8. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't ask, don't tell :)

-Mike

9. dr_slurpee

Well to me it looks like that's the right light. Another cheap prop. :)

10. Adar Tallon

Adar Tallon New Member

Yeah I saw them there too. Thought they were more expensive than just $4 that's for sure.

11. JediCarl

JediCarl Well-Known Member

I just remembered that I got 2 of these in my stocking this past Christmas.

Time to do some screen-accurate conversions. ;)

12. CriticalMass

CriticalMass New Member

Nice find Kylash.

Time to hit up the local walgreens

13. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Has anyone taken one of these apart yet to see if the guts will be interefered with by cutting it in half?

14. Kylash

eeeeeeeeek.....that bottom half they cut off....thats where the 3 batteries are ^^; and i am not good with electronics.

15. Funky

Crap...I was afraid of that.

16. dr_slurpee

I actually was thinking that was the battery area. I imagine it would be quite easy to fit a coin cell in there to run it...problem is that unless you get really good ones they wouldn't last as long.

17. Immortal Goat

Immortal Goat Well-Known Member

Just got one, and does anyone think that it would be possible to just move the battery case part into the upper half that they left?

Also, the spring action in the movie was not slowed down like the model I have. Is there any way to get rid of that?

EDIT: Just took a look at the guts, and I realized that it's impossible to move the batteries to the upper half. Any other ideas?

18. Funky

If the battery DOES have to be replaced to a small coin battery, the bulb should be removed and replaced by a smal red LED as it draws less power.

19. Immortal Goat

Well, I got the movement down. It seems that the spring-loaded joints were just filled with some wierd waxy glue. All you need to do is take it apart, remove the springs, and treat each individual joint piece with a thinning agent (I used some stuff called "Goo Gone"). Then, just reassemble, and you've got fater joints.

20. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

it looks taller to me...which leads me to believe that when they removed the excess battery compartment that they just put the battery area on the bottom of the prop making it a bit taller.

21. Immortal Goat

I was actually thinking the same thing. Now, the real question is how do you make a completely new bottom piece to fit onto this?

22. Kylash

or they just made it not unfold as much, which makes it taller to stand straight.

23. Immortal Goat

I think he means that the base seems kinda thicker. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

24. Kylash

oh..hmm, no i dont think so...its about that thick, but thats just me..

25. Immortal Goat

Well, if it really is that thick, then there is the problem of somehow encasing the batteries in the half that they left.

26. dr_slurpee

Without seeing one of the lights up close it does seem to look as if it is thicker.

Is there enough room in the sides to hold a coin cell? Or perhaps there's room in part of the flip up section to hold a button cell?

27. Immortal Goat

I just thought of something. Do you guys think it would be possible to reduce the number of batteries needed (it uses 3 watch batteries) so it could possibly fit inside the rest of the unit? The only reason I thought of this is that the red LED bulb is not nearly as bright as the standard white one it comes with, so it wouldn't need as much power to run.

28. dr_slurpee

You can even get coin cells that I think come in 3V, so depending on the red LED I imagine it'd be possible. What voltage is the average red LED?

29. Kylash

well the light thats in there now is suuuuuper bright, doesnt need to be that bright, so i imagine it could run on one battery

30. blufive

blufive Sr Member

I gave my wife one of those for Christmas.

:D

31. Funky

Didn't I say that on page 1? :confused

32. Kylash

just compared mine to the pics again, reeeally doesnt look any thicker than this.... but they definetly either fixed the position or something of the top parts, because it unfolds more than that.

33. THEWRAPOFCONS

THEWRAPOFCONS Well-Known Member

My local Walgreens has these 2 for $5.00 if anyone is having trouble finding them

34. Immortal Goat

I was just elaborating on that. You recomended replacing the battery with a coin one. I was asking if keeping the same batteries would be possible.

35. Funky

Ah. Gotcha.
    Well after takin this sucker apart and examining it with a fine tooth, I gotta tell you, there ain't a whole lotta room in the top half to add batteries (or battery). I'm starting to think that the red light was either CGI or maybe wired up from the table. :(

36. dr_slurpee

I just saw VfV again last night and I have to say that if that's CGI they did a * good job of making it look real. You can see the red light shining on his hand as he flips it open which really leads me to believe it wasn't CGI. As far as the wired through the table, I am pretty sure that when he's flipping it open and the light is on his hand he's still got it in his hand and not on the table yet. My bet is there is enough room somewhere to fit a coin cell or button cell battery, not much is needed for either.

37. Mike J.

We don't actually see it open up, do we?

We hear a noise, then see it being set down...

The mods they made may have made it incapable of opening and closing.

-Mike

38. Mike J.

Nope, my mistake...

We get a wide shot of it popping open, then a close-up of it being set down.

This begs the question: was there an action version, which flipped open & closed (but did not light) and a hero version for close-ups (which lit but did not close)?

-Mike

39. dr_slurpee

I am pretty sure you can see the red light on the one he flips open, it's even illuminating his hand if I remember correctly.

40. Mike J.

You are correct (saw it again).

-Mike

41. Mike J.

Found a few of these at a local CVS... $6.99 a pop...

Now that I have some, I'm in the middle of taking one apart. *, these are cheap crap. And that grease on the springs is nasty stuff.

As far as 'modding' goes, I think you could fit a small battery inside the second 'neck' part, the bit that latches into the bottom. But then you'd have a problem placing the on/off switch... could try a magnetic reed switch, with a small rare earth magnet in the base of the unit.

Good luck to all.

-Mike

42. Kylash

the hard part is making it still stay closed and open and have the LED turn on, its all controlled in that top right corner inside when the pivot spins and turns on the LED, youd have to wire the new LED to that same spot.

43. Mike J.

44. Kylash

thanks for the nicer caps :D Im still getting nowhere with this thing, lol

45. Mike J.

I was thinking the easiest thing would be just to open the top segment and switch-out the LED.

Maybe open the body & add a resistor.

God knows how they assemble these things in the factory...

-Mike

46. hydin

scarily enough, i hit walgreens tonight.

these were on sale for 4$ a pop, but they had ANOTHER version that was identical to this booklight, but it has an fm radio in it :lol

i ended up with both. no ideas how to wire it, and im scared to take it apart due to the "IGH" posts i have read in this thread. i think itll sit on the shelf and just look really really close to the movie used one. maybe just some red paint to show it off a bit :lol

if anyone has tips or tricks to fix this puppy up, feel free to share em.

chris

47. propmaster2000

propmaster2000 Sr Member

A few months ago, there was a need for a couple of those pop-out book lights, so there was a few spares around for modifications. I think they were from Walgreens around Christmas.
    Since it was seen in Vendetta as a scrambler prop, it was a good "blinky project" for a friend of mine to attempt. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He did say that he changed the white LED to an Ultra bright RED one, but said that it was probebly unlikely that the studio would go though the effort of doing that, and instead colored the existing white led, with a red felt marker or red transparent gel, to make it red and tone it down.

48. hydin

any ideas on the paint used for the black?? i didnt see any black chrome ones, but i really dig that finish on there.

looks too matte to be a semi gloss, but too glossy to be a matte.

very cool link btw.

chris

49. Mike J.

Very nice :D

So, where are the batteries?

-Mike

50. Kylash

yeah, wheres the batteries :p

btw, i found out it will still run on 2 batteries