Use clear worbla to make a 3D stencil?

helix_3

I'm considering making some replicas and I need to paint on a few details in black paint.

Would it be possible to use clear worbla to make a 3D stencil? I'd make a hydrostone copy of the master and apply mold release. Then I'd warm the worbla, press into the object, and cut away the parts where I want paint to go. Once it was cooled I could also clean up any edges with sanding.

This sounds plausible, but I wanted to do a sanity check before I waste any time and effort.

Last edited:
Update: the best I could come up with is "Dental Lab Splint Thermoforming Material Soft" material. It's easy to warm/ form to the surface of the model, and can be cut using a hot knife. However it isn't ideal, because it's hard to hand-cut sharp lines on a 3D shape.

What are you trying to stencil?

I recently used a 3d printer to print out letters, then used Sorta-Clear40 to make a stencil. Sorta clear could have been used 3d as well

Attachments

• 20210904_123648.jpg
    20210904_123648.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 20210904_135716.jpg
    20210904_135716.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210906_095435.jpg
    20210906_095435.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
I can think of about 5 ways that would probably be easier than what you propose, but I really like the way you think. ;) Few things are more fun than inventing the wheel with each project! What specifically is the stencil you want to make (text, or logo, or...?), and on what sort of surface? A vinyl cutter is a common way to do this, I'm sure there are services/folks who could help. Or to go more old school, hand cut with a sharp knife from vinyl or similar masking material (even a sheet of masking tape on waxed paper works). Or print. Or laser cut. Or... :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back