Update.. Countdown Timer, Added Comp Gauntlet, And Cannon Arm Wip

DHB

Hi everyone

here is my W.I.P. Alphanumaric countdown timer.

I still have a long way to go before it's done but its a start.

the plan is to have 6 led segments 4 inside and two on the lid. when you press the led segment on the lid the lid opens to reveale the 4 inside. now the fun part. all segments will have there own fuction button to activate a set program. the segments are alphanumaric based on a pred font i found hehe. so i will be able to have a scrolling message go across the 4 segments if i want. So far as shown in the video i only have 3 setup and they are counting down form 9 to 0 progressively across the segments. I'm using the arduino microcontroller and led driver IC's and it seems to work great.

So lets say the 6 segment buttons could be setup like this

segment buttons on lid
button 1 = open lid
button 2 = random

segment buttons inside
button 3 = message
button 4 = countdown
button 5 = random numbers
button 6 = close lid

Thats it for now. More updates to come

Picture10.jpg

snapshot.png

snapshot-1.png

th_Video5.jpg

Updated 4/10/2011
th_Video6.jpg

Just finished this one 4/13/2011
th_Video12.jpg

That's looking good. If you ever need help with the programming, feel free to ask me. I've done my countdown timers with the Arduino and a MAX7219 driver IC, so I'm experienced with working with them.

Where did you get your LEDs, anyway? They look longer and thinner than the LEDs I've been using, so they just might be a little more accurate to the movie.

Thanks Elkman

as for the led segmants i took two 5mmx2mm and crazy glued them together to make it longer and the segmants are a common anode setup. The driver IC's that im using are the MM5451 chips they are constant current led drivers so im not multiplexing the leds. each Individual led i can controll. works great

Hello everyone

It has been some time but i finally have a new video to show. i added 4 more led segments. the two on the bottom right spell's out DHB over and over hehe, till i press the button to start the countdown.

updated video is in my first post

Thanks
David

Last edited by a moderator:
New Video added .... Just finished adding my second button. this one will scroll a message across all 5 segments.
the current message is "The Hunters Lair"

Thanks
David

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen leds like that before, can you send me a link where i can get some? and what are they called specifically. Thanks

The led's that I'm using are Red Diffused Rectangular 2x5 mm led's. I have to crazy glue two of them together to make just one of the 12 led's per segment. That's a lot of glueing lol. You can find these led's on eBay.

Hey DHB
Do you find that the size is a little too big to house it in the gauntlet or are you not look @ that right now just the programming part?

Hey DHB
Do you find that the size is a little too big to house it in the gauntlet or are you not look @ that right now just the programming part?

Thanks for the great Question. as of right now yes its to big, wires all over and is only for the programming part. I have my new segment design done and ready to be made. one segment with a built in button is only 1.125" W x 2.825" H for my 5 segment setup it will only measure 6.250"W x 2.825"H. all segments will have a button that will do something. here are some printouts to show the dimensions.

Thanks
David

snapshot-2.png

snapshot-1-1.png

Thanks for the great Question. as of right now yes its to big, wires all over and is only for the programming part. I have my new segment design done and ready to be made. one segment with a built in button is only 1.125" W x 2.825" H for my 5 segment setup it will only measure 6.250"W x 2.825"H. all segments will have a button that will do something. here are some printouts to show the dimensions.
Thanks
David
Very cool I plan on using these, but again just like you just programming purposes and may have to get these much smaller which I know is possible have to find a vendor that has some.
BifQewBGkKGrHqQH-DwEsMLu09G1BLPO1wYCqg_12.jpg

The led's that I'm using are Red Diffused Rectangular 2x5 mm led's. I have to crazy glue two of them together to make just one of the 12 led's per segment. That's a lot of glueing lol. You can find these led's on eBay.
You can also order these LEDs on Digi-Key. That's where I've been getting most of my LEDs. They have plenty of other styles and sizes -- maybe even more than you can narrow down for your application.

I like the progress you've made, by the way.

Nice job Dave!!

You may want to use the rectangular LEDS that Elk showed.

Also if you want to be accurate each section has segments that interact with each other.

Best I have seen!

Should be proud.

Cary ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back