Uncharted 3: Drake's Decoder *prototype finished*

LeMarchand

Sr Member
I am looking for good reference material for this device, especially the text on the sides and the artwork on the back. Only found 2 pics on google. Looks like a nice electro-etching project :)

thanks,

Marc

Last edited:
Re: Uncharted 3: Drake's Decoder

I'll see what I can do.
I really like the decoder prop but after looking at it for a few minutes is said " damn, that's a lot of precise metal work"...just don't have the tools for that.

Have you tried contacting Naughty Dog?
They may have pics, schematics or tech specs that they could let you have.

I saw a book at work, something about "history of the world in 100 artifacts"
I'll get the proper name next time I see it.. anyway, there is (go figure) an astrolabe in there that looks almost the same.
It's labeled as a hebrew astrolabe in the book, I'd guess that they used that as a starting point and modified the design from there.
edit: http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...l1l0&q=hebrew astrolabe&orq=hebrew+astrolabe+
astrolabe.jpg

I looked at astrolades on google past week, but it looks like they only took the idea of the astrolade and went running with it.

I sent an email to naughtydog, asking if it is possible to get in touch with the person who designed it for the game to learn more about it, so here's to hoping i get a response.

Did some more research. All the text has been figured out on the top and the side. Only thing that i still need to find out, is an amount of symbols between the text on the sides and the bottom.

The bottom looks like some sort of enneagram with the birthsign symbols, but it is not the 'compatibility' enneagram.

Haven't had a reply yet from naughty dog

I think i cracked the pattern used for the engravings on the side. All i can say at the moment is....WOW, someone over at "Naughty Dog" sure put a lot of thought into this thing. Once my research is complete i will write a short essay on this piece.

I am now also convinced the bottom pictures an Astrological pattern.

I downloaded all the cutscenes from Youtube in 1080p and capped the hell out of them. I think i have all the engravings figured out including the back. Only thing you never really see clear enough is the thing in the center on the back.

Made some good progress on the top section in the quiet hours of the night. Just need to add a few things and then i can work on the side and bottom.

uncharted%20progress1.jpg

Damn, I got a headache just looking at all those details.

How are you planning on making this ? CNC machine?

Last edited:

wow, excellent pics and links. This gives me that last piece i needed, the knob on the back.

Turned out i was right about the engraving on the back. It's a constellation called "star of david" or "solomon's key" one of the rarest if not the most rare of constellations.

I will probably start with a plastic prototype to make resin copies. Brass will be really expensive and will have to wait till i have my own cnc machine

Awesome. Just a suggestion: if anyone's making this, make sure the artwork looks engraved rather than just your run-of-the-mill computer font. This may mean modifying vector fonts to create irregularities so that no two characters are alike. Lastly, straight lines should appear with slight fluctuations so that they will still appear precise but yet have that hand-engraved look.

Awesome. Just a suggestion: if anyone's making this, make sure the artwork looks engraved rather than just your run-of-the-mill computer font. This may mean modifying vector fonts to create irregularities so that no two characters are alike. Lastly, straight lines should appear with slight fluctuations so that they will still appear precise but yet have that hand-engraved look.

Sounds like you know what you're doing why don't you make it haha

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back