Uncharted 3: Drake's Decoder *prototype finished*

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by LeMarchand, Nov 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

I am looking for good reference material for this device, especially the text on the sides and the artwork on the back. Only found 2 pics on google. Looks like a nice electro-etching project :)

thanks,

Marc

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    juno likes this.
  2. Alan Cross

Alan Cross Sr Member

Re: Uncharted 3: Drake's Decoder

Yeah, that thing is pretty cool. Good luck with your search. Anyway to do game screen caps?

3. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

I'll see what I can do.
    I really like the decoder prop but after looking at it for a few minutes is said " *, that's a lot of precise metal work"...just don't have the tools for that.

4. Landstalker

Landstalker New Member

Have you tried contacting Naughty Dog?
    They may have pics, schematics or tech specs that they could let you have.

5. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

I saw a book at work, something about "history of the world in 100 artifacts"
    I'll get the proper name next time I see it.. anyway, there is (go figure) an astrolabe in there that looks almost the same.
    It's labeled as a hebrew astrolabe in the book, I'd guess that they used that as a starting point and modified the design from there.
    edit: http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...l1l0&q=hebrew astrolabe&orq=hebrew+astrolabe+
    [​IMG]

6. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

I looked at astrolades on google past week, but it looks like they only took the idea of the astrolade and went running with it.

I sent an email to naughtydog, asking if it is possible to get in touch with the person who designed it for the game to learn more about it, so here's to hoping i get a response.

7. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

Did some more research. All the text has been figured out on the top and the side. Only thing that i still need to find out, is an amount of symbols between the text on the sides and the bottom.

The bottom looks like some sort of enneagram with the birthsign symbols, but it is not the 'compatibility' enneagram.

Haven't had a reply yet from naughty dog

8. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

I think i cracked the pattern used for the engravings on the side. All i can say at the moment is....WOW, someone over at "Naughty Dog" sure put a lot of thought into this thing. Once my research is complete i will write a short essay on this piece.

I am now also convinced the bottom pictures an Astrological pattern.

9. Fennec

Fennec Active Member

Best I could do.. You might already have had this one though.

[​IMG]

10. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another image - apologies if you have this one already:

2 mB pic from the Wikia

-MJ

11. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

I downloaded all the cutscenes from Youtube in 1080p and capped the hell out of them. I think i have all the engravings figured out including the back. Only thing you never really see clear enough is the thing in the center on the back.

Made some good progress on the top section in the quiet hours of the night. Just need to add a few things and then i can work on the side and bottom.

[​IMG]

12. ejh343

ejh343 Member

:O OMG!!!!! That's crazy!!!!!

13. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

*, I got a headache just looking at all those details.

How are you planning on making this ? CNC machine?

14. ejh343

ejh343 Member

15. ejh343

ejh343 Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  16. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

wow, excellent pics and links. This gives me that last piece i needed, the knob on the back.

Turned out i was right about the engraving on the back. It's a constellation called "star of david" or "solomon's key" one of the rarest if not the most rare of constellations.

I will probably start with a plastic prototype to make resin copies. Brass will be really expensive and will have to wait till i have my own cnc machine

17. ejh343

ejh343 Member

Well I'm in for one whenever you get around to making it.... should be pretty awesome!!!

18. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Awesome. Just a suggestion: if anyone's making this, make sure the artwork looks engraved rather than just your run-of-the-mill computer font. This may mean modifying vector fonts to create irregularities so that no two characters are alike. Lastly, straight lines should appear with slight fluctuations so that they will still appear precise but yet have that hand-engraved look.

19. ejh343

ejh343 Member

Sounds like you know what you're doing why don't you make it haha

20. Darxide

Darxide Member

Any updates with this LeMarchand?

21. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

in the rare moments i have for this project at the moment, i am vectortracing the birth and planet signs as well as the numbering

22. ejh343

ejh343 Member

Any news it's been a few months... Do you have an update for us?

23. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

finished the graphics for the back, including a vector image of the roseknob. Currently tweaking the front. Hope to do a testetch soon. I want to make one out of solid brass, which will cost a small fortune to do

24. Ramiel

Ramiel Sr Member

WOW Marc!
    I haven't played yet all the 3rd game, but I already love this thing!
    And you are doing an awesome job on this prop mate! ;)

25. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

Last week during my nightshifts, i have tweaked the graphics for the bottom and finished the vector tracing of the rose-button. I also made the dials for the top more accurate using screencaps from that awesome developer video. Just need to finalise the graphics for the side.

I will be doing some test etchings hopefully this coming week. A full brass version will present some challenges. I will probably have to have the rosebutton and enochian script dial cnc-ed as they are curved which makes it really hard to etch them.

I also still have to draw the gears (and probably have them lasercut)

if time allows, i'll post some pics of the new graphics tonight when i get back home from my late shift at the hospital.

26. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

test etch of the inner dial. The patterns were more timeconsuming than one would think as the font needed a lot of tweaking and the numbers and signs had to be vector traced.

Very happy with the result, very sharp etch :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. hudsong84

hudsong84 New Member

Holy Crap that looks awesome! Me and my little brother started replaying UC:3 Monday and it was awesome to see this.

28. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

LeMarchand, beautiful work.

I managed to do a perspective correction to a high resolution image of the astrolabe. The following is shrunk to 800x800. But if it helps your project at all, I can email you a 3000x3000 version of this. This is a rough cut though, as I have to play with it some more, but I'm assuming these are concentric circles and altered the perspective accordingly.

[​IMG]

From this corrected perspective, it gives an interesting sense of the different layers and altitutes. The red-outlined piece has some objects in its inner circle that may be not as high and thick as the ring itself. Also, I wonder if it's possible that the surface of the red-outlined circle is curved.

Of the 3 teardrops to the left, the middle one looks like it contains a magnifying lens, else the size of its character doesn't quite make sense, unless it has its own bottom with its own character.

The yellow ring looks like it's higher than the green ring. Anyway, this is just a study of one perspective. I haven't looked back at other perspectives as I'm posing this quickly so I can get back to work.

Anyway, hope this helps you. Let me know if I can be of help.

29. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

Thanks,

I have the blueprint already done, only need to do a couple of the planet symbols. The way i have scaled the dials is as follows:

The outer rim is estimated at 3mm thick, both the inner dial with the teardrops and the inner dial with the months and birthsigns are 1mm thick. Below those 2 is a 1mm thick plate which is attached to the outer rim.

The middle teardrop has a hole as well as the other inner dial, the hole shows the letter on the lower plate, as far as i know there is no magnifying glass in it.

The small ring with the enochian markings is indeed rounded and i estimate it is 2mm thick and rests on the metal shape opposite of the teardrops. That piece is 1mm thick.

Inside the disc are some curved pieces (also 1mm thick) and the centerpiece where the ring is placed, i haven't drawn that part yet. There are also gears inside, which i will be doing out of 2mm thick brass, as far as i can tell there are 3 different kinds.

The underside is also made of 3mm brass with a dome shaped piece in the center that has a flower engraved in it.

The sides will be made of 2mm thick brass sheet, which i intend to make into circels with a metal roller. The system in the symbols on that is very well thought out, eventough the artist made some errors in it :)

I'll whip up a quick 3D model to illustrate. The developers video posted as a link earlier (which shows how they textured the piece) has been very helpfull for the final pieces of this intricate puzzle.

30. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

here's a shot of my setup when stacked:
    [​IMG]

and here's the layers of the top exploded:
    [​IMG]

31. DarthSpear

DarthSpear Member

Woah, can't wait to see this finished, I'm currently playing UC3, pretty good so far. This would be a nice piece to have!

32. Ultimatum

Ultimatum New Member

I'm already throwing money at the screen!

33. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

currently looking looking into a couple of production options including saving up for a lathe and a metalroller. Thinking of having the gears lasercut out of brass.

but you are right, these won't be cheap

34. Camaro91

Camaro91 Active Member

Gotta pay to play. And it already looks awesome and the finished product will look even better!

35. Stuntastik30

Stuntastik30 New Member

This looks awesome, makes me want to play the game again. Can the ring from the collectors edition fit in there? That would be awesome.

36. stonewallja

stonewallja New Member

Let me know when youll start selling those, i would be beyond thrilled if you made it to fit the collectors edition ring. Lot of potential there, you seem to know what your doing. Thanks :)

37. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just finished the game! This would be a neat prop!

38. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

39. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

So close to finishing the blueprints/3D model i can smell it. This has been by far THE most labour intensive prop i have replicated sofar. Will most likely do a lasercut/engraved prototype out of acrylic first and then do a couple in full brass when i have bought a lathe.

uncharted decoder may 2013.jpg

40. Xeaden

Xeaden New Member

I am currently playing Uncharted 3 and saw the Astrolabe and the first thought I had was That I had to try and make it. Of course I thought I'd check the rpf to check and see and sure enough someone is alread on it and doing an INCREDIBLE job! I am excited to see how you do LeMarchand and I myself am going to try and go myself.

I do have a question for you LeMarchand:

What 3d modeling program are you using to model the astrolabe?

41. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

thanks,

this model was done in Rhino3D. but it is just to see how it all fits together, plan to make a couple out of etched brass

42. p0rtalman

p0rtalman Well-Known Member

I'll certainly be up for one of these when they are finished! It is my second favourite prop from Uncharted after all :p

Oh and if you need any help with fabrication, I'll have access to a laser cutting as soon as the three phase power gets sorted out ;)

43. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

i finally finished all the graphics work for this. It has been a major challenge and i think i spent more than 100 hours in total in this project sofar :)

Good news is, that i have been asked to supply a decoder for an upcoming Uncharted webseries, and i found a friend with a lasercutter who currently has the files and will lasercut everything out of acrylic for me. There will be 2 pieces that need to be 3D printed; the top ring with enocian symbols and the flower knob on the button.

i hope to be able to start offering resin/acrylic kits in 4-6 weeks. when i have finally bought a lathe and ringroller, i will also do 5 or so in full brass for the collectors with really deep pockets :)

uncharted decoder graphics.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  44. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gonna be epic!

45. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

1001712_10151804101556101_46076577_n.jpg

46. dereference

dereference New Member

Very cool

47. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

recieved the lasercut/engraved pieces today :D :D :D A huge thanks to Rick Gamez for his help on this, the guy is amazing :)

lasercut pieces.jpg

Started assembly and cleanup. The top section segments have been cleaned and painted black (to make the lines and engravings more visible), Ready for final cleanup. In the coming days, the lower section will be finished and the inside pieces (gears etc.) as well.

top section 1.jpg top section 2.jpg

48. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

bottom half and ring-slot assembled and ready for final cleanup

bottom section 1.jpg bottom section 2.jpg

49. division 6

division 6 Master Member

SWEET!!!!
    Awesome work on both yours and the laser cutters parts.

50. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

Rest of the inside pieces ready. Just a small amount of cleanup left before a couple of coats of brass paint

uncharted decoder proto 1.jpg uncharted decoder proto 2.jpg