Uncharted 3: Drake's Decoder *prototype finished*

Re: Uncharted 3: Drake's Decoder

in the rare moments i have for this project at the moment, i am vectortracing the birth and planet signs as well as the numbering

finished the graphics for the back, including a vector image of the roseknob. Currently tweaking the front. Hope to do a testetch soon. I want to make one out of solid brass, which will cost a small fortune to do

WOW Marc!
I haven't played yet all the 3rd game, but I already love this thing!
And you are doing an awesome job on this prop mate! ;)

Last week during my nightshifts, i have tweaked the graphics for the bottom and finished the vector tracing of the rose-button. I also made the dials for the top more accurate using screencaps from that awesome developer video. Just need to finalise the graphics for the side.

I will be doing some test etchings hopefully this coming week. A full brass version will present some challenges. I will probably have to have the rosebutton and enochian script dial cnc-ed as they are curved which makes it really hard to etch them.

I also still have to draw the gears (and probably have them lasercut)

if time allows, i'll post some pics of the new graphics tonight when i get back home from my late shift at the hospital.

test etch of the inner dial. The patterns were more timeconsuming than one would think as the font needed a lot of tweaking and the numbers and signs had to be vector traced.

Very happy with the result, very sharp etch :)

551714_10151031697651101_678546519_n.jpg

598898_10151031700361101_1454832744_n.jpg

Holy Crap that looks awesome! Me and my little brother started replaying UC:3 Monday and it was awesome to see this.

LeMarchand, beautiful work.

I managed to do a perspective correction to a high resolution image of the astrolabe. The following is shrunk to 800x800. But if it helps your project at all, I can email you a 3000x3000 version of this. This is a rough cut though, as I have to play with it some more, but I'm assuming these are concentric circles and altered the perspective accordingly.

astrolabe.jpg

From this corrected perspective, it gives an interesting sense of the different layers and altitutes. The red-outlined piece has some objects in its inner circle that may be not as high and thick as the ring itself. Also, I wonder if it's possible that the surface of the red-outlined circle is curved.

Of the 3 teardrops to the left, the middle one looks like it contains a magnifying lens, else the size of its character doesn't quite make sense, unless it has its own bottom with its own character.

The yellow ring looks like it's higher than the green ring. Anyway, this is just a study of one perspective. I haven't looked back at other perspectives as I'm posing this quickly so I can get back to work.

Anyway, hope this helps you. Let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks,

I have the blueprint already done, only need to do a couple of the planet symbols. The way i have scaled the dials is as follows:

The outer rim is estimated at 3mm thick, both the inner dial with the teardrops and the inner dial with the months and birthsigns are 1mm thick. Below those 2 is a 1mm thick plate which is attached to the outer rim.

The middle teardrop has a hole as well as the other inner dial, the hole shows the letter on the lower plate, as far as i know there is no magnifying glass in it.

The small ring with the enochian markings is indeed rounded and i estimate it is 2mm thick and rests on the metal shape opposite of the teardrops. That piece is 1mm thick.

Inside the disc are some curved pieces (also 1mm thick) and the centerpiece where the ring is placed, i haven't drawn that part yet. There are also gears inside, which i will be doing out of 2mm thick brass, as far as i can tell there are 3 different kinds.

The underside is also made of 3mm brass with a dome shaped piece in the center that has a flower engraved in it.

The sides will be made of 2mm thick brass sheet, which i intend to make into circels with a metal roller. The system in the symbols on that is very well thought out, eventough the artist made some errors in it :)

I'll whip up a quick 3D model to illustrate. The developers video posted as a link earlier (which shows how they textured the piece) has been very helpfull for the final pieces of this intricate puzzle.

Woah, can't wait to see this finished, I'm currently playing UC3, pretty good so far. This would be a nice piece to have!

currently looking looking into a couple of production options including saving up for a lathe and a metalroller. Thinking of having the gears lasercut out of brass.

but you are right, these won't be cheap

Gotta pay to play. And it already looks awesome and the finished product will look even better!

This looks awesome, makes me want to play the game again. Can the ring from the collectors edition fit in there? That would be awesome.

Let me know when youll start selling those, i would be beyond thrilled if you made it to fit the collectors edition ring. Lot of potential there, you seem to know what your doing. Thanks :)

So close to finishing the blueprints/3D model i can smell it. This has been by far THE most labour intensive prop i have replicated sofar. Will most likely do a lasercut/engraved prototype out of acrylic first and then do a couple in full brass when i have bought a lathe.

uncharted decoder may 2013.jpg

I am currently playing Uncharted 3 and saw the Astrolabe and the first thought I had was That I had to try and make it. Of course I thought I'd check the rpf to check and see and sure enough someone is alread on it and doing an INCREDIBLE job! I am excited to see how you do LeMarchand and I myself am going to try and go myself.

I do have a question for you LeMarchand:

What 3d modeling program are you using to model the astrolabe?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back