Unaired pilot Big Bang Theory...it would have killed the show!

It's very odd to Sheldon and Leonard in a completely different setting without the other characters. I thought the pilot was funny, but I don't think it would have lasted long if they went that route. Glad they chose to go with what we know and love.

phewwwww. dodged that one, she was no Penny, But I did like the brainy girl, maybe she could come on the show as Amy's new love interest next year.

Wow. I REALLY love BBT, but if that version of the show had been made, I never would have started watching it.

I mean, it's weird, I didn't laugh one time; & TYPICALLY, I almost don't stop laughing during the show...

Was that the old Laverne and Shirley set they were on?

It is always cool to see these unaired pilots.
Thanks for posting it.

I saw this a while back and was very glad they went with a fresher type of female in the Penny character. The jaded over-sexed girl is just so repetitive; every show has one, and a non-sexual Sheldon is very funny and entirely unique. It would really have been a shame to have never experienced Wolowitz and Raj also.

You do get it's a pilot. And it got picked, so apparently, it did not kill the show. It in fact worked as is, unless a second pilot turns up with Penny, a la, Kirk replacing Pike in Star Trek.

I thought it was funny although it was like a dark alternate universe dimension version of BBT. I am greatful they decided to go with Penny, Raj, and Wollowitz though.

You do get it's a pilot. And it got picked, so apparently, it did not kill the show. It in fact worked as is, unless a second pilot turns up with Penny, a la, Kirk replacing Pike in Star Trek.

You do get that it was "unaired", don't you? :rolleyes
Much like Star Trek, it was "almost" there but not quite, so they had a second opportunity at another pilot, which was with Penny, and yes, it was aired.

Got to agree, CB2001. Annoying characters? Check. Irritating performances? Check. Unfunny writing? Check. :p

Eh, this show just doesn't work for me...I watched this version kind of hoping maybe it might help clue me in as to why people feel the show is funny and watchable. (Despite the thread's title, I know, I know.) I'm no closer, but if you enjoy it then good for you. I was in the minority on Seinfeld, too. I guess some hit sitcoms I'm just not destined to ever 'get'.

Got to agree, CB2001. Annoying characters? Check. Irritating performances? Check. Unfunny writing? Check. :p

A lot of the same jokes, some of the same situations, some of the same dialogue carried over. The whole Sheldon's board and "you like boards, this one's mine" up to Leonard's grandmother going naked bit is one that's carried over into the first aired episode.

I'm glad they went another way with Leonard's character in the final show. I didn't like this pseudo sheldon/smartass version.

I'm so glad they made the changes that they did. I would not have watched.

Asexual Sheldon and sweet Penny really add a light-hearted fun to the show and as much as Wolowitz bugs me at times, he's much better than the original female friend.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back