Unaired pilot Big Bang Theory...it would have killed the show!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Funky, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. DoubleD

DoubleD Sr Member

It's very odd to Sheldon and Leonard in a completely different setting without the other characters. I thought the pilot was funny, but I don't think it would have lasted long if they went that route. Glad they chose to go with what we know and love.

3. closet geek

closet geek Member

phewwwww. dodged that one, she was no Penny, But I did like the brainy girl, maybe she could come on the show as Amy's new love interest next year.

4. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Directed by James Burrows. Respect.

5. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. I REALLY love BBT, but if that version of the show had been made, I never would have started watching it.

I mean, it's weird, I didn't laugh one time; & TYPICALLY, I almost don't stop laughing during the show...

6. Siebigteroth3

Siebigteroth3 New Member

wow, that was just, wow. I cant get over Sheldon having sex while pretending to be in Pon far.

7. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

That was interesting; thanks for posting it.

8. mobius303

mobius303 Well-Known Member

Was that the old Laverne and Shirley set they were on?

It is always cool to see these unaired pilots.
    Thanks for posting it.

9. Funky

And Sheldon drinking a beer there at the end? Weird.

10. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

I saw this a while back and was very glad they went with a fresher type of female in the Penny character. The jaded over-sexed girl is just so repetitive; every show has one, and a non-sexual Sheldon is very funny and entirely unique. It would really have been a shame to have never experienced Wolowitz and Raj also.

11. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

You do get it's a pilot. And it got picked, so apparently, it did not kill the show. It in fact worked as is, unless a second pilot turns up with Penny, a la, Kirk replacing Pike in Star Trek.

12. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I thought it was pretty funny. I've never seen BBT before.

13. Boogeyman13

Boogeyman13 Sr Member

That was... yeah....

14. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny although it was like a dark alternate universe dimension version of BBT. I am greatful they decided to go with Penny, Raj, and Wollowitz though.

15. Funky

You do get that it was "unaired", don't you? :rolleyes
    Much like Star Trek, it was "almost" there but not quite, so they had a second opportunity at another pilot, which was with Penny, and yes, it was aired.

16. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

This is almost the same as the broadcast episode, with some very minor differences.

17. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Got to agree, CB2001. Annoying characters? Check. Irritating performances? Check. Unfunny writing? Check. :p

Eh, this show just doesn't work for me...I watched this version kind of hoping maybe it might help clue me in as to why people feel the show is funny and watchable. (Despite the thread's title, I know, I know.) I'm no closer, but if you enjoy it then good for you. I was in the minority on Seinfeld, too. I guess some hit sitcoms I'm just not destined to ever 'get'.

18. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

A lot of the same jokes, some of the same situations, some of the same dialogue carried over. The whole Sheldon's board and "you like boards, this one's mine" up to Leonard's grandmother going naked bit is one that's carried over into the first aired episode.

19. Redtogusa

Redtogusa Well-Known Member

I'm glad they went another way with Leonard's character in the final show. I didn't like this pseudo sheldon/smartass version.

20. Guri

Guri Sr Member

I'm so glad they made the changes that they did. I would not have watched.

Asexual Sheldon and sweet Penny really add a light-hearted fun to the show and as much as Wolowitz bugs me at times, he's much better than the original female friend.

21. Cpl Potter

Cpl Potter Sr Member

i really liked the nerdy girl .

22. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I think the problem with that unaired pilot is that they got the intelligent educated aspect of the characters, but sorely missed on the geek culture aspect. It doesn't work if we can't relate on the personal geek side of things.

23. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

And the "perky, dumb, over-sexed blonde" is 'fresh'? I felt the un-aired version added something to the group, where Penny is just there for the guys to drool over. In the unaired version, Leonard wanted to help because he saw her crying. In the aired version, Leonard introduced himself because Penny was hot.

I loved the scene where the woman draws on Leonard's board. I thought her explaining things to Leonard showed some level of intelligence. She at least graduated high school math. One wonders how our Penny is able to add up people's bills.

24. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

I REALLY liked the un-aired version, and here's why:

- They wear clothes people actually wear (instead of the Hipster-throw-it-together look).
    - I liked the toned-down atmosphere (vs. the comic book style in the show)
    - I liked that Leonard had more character in this one - he wasn't some hand-wringing stereotype. He had confidence and was more believable as a researcher working for a university.
    - I LOVED the balance of male/female. The proto-Amy was a good addition and I think it would have been an interesting relationship between her and the 'outsider' (not-Penny).
    - Not-Penny was a far more interesting character than Penny is (explained above).
    - I like there was more balance on Sheldon - he was smart, but not arrogantly so, he actually seemed to care about the friendship between him and Leonard - Leonard wasn't there just because Sheldon couldn't afford the rent himself. For all the differences, he was still Sheldon - I think this shows he doesn't need to be so completely self-absorved and arrogant to be funny. In our series, they can never successfully answer the question of WHY anybody hangs around with him.

25. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

Leonard... WAY better.

The rest... NO.

Anyone have a link to a QuickTime version?

Can't watch WHOLE ep on YouTube.

26. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

Someone mentioned that what makes these characters so unique and appealing is that they personify so many of the geeky qualities a lot of us have, or embody the characteristics of people we know and love. If they were more 'normal', there would be nothing extraordinary about the show.

Sheldon appears to be self-absorbed because he has classic symptoms of Asbergers Syndrome. There are varying degrees of this and many 'geeky' types exhibit some form of this. They are all lovable because they are eccentric in some way, not because they blend into the general population.

27. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I couldn't get through any more of this than I can the aired show. Sheldon irritates me immediately and thoroughly. Guess I just don't grok the actor/his approach.

28. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

The girl was way to trashy for my taste....the ditsy version of Penny was much less intense and less imposing.

It is surprising how different the show could have been...

...glad that they went with the format that they chose.

29. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

You don't have to have a personality disorder to be eccentric or lovable. Like I said, this Shldon managed to be rid of the over-the-top smug ******* and still be what essentially made him Sheldon.

SOMEtimes his ego can give us funny moments, but most of the time it's more annoying than funny. What makes Sheldon funny is his general aloofness - how he knows the mysteries of the mathematical universe, but can't grasp a simple social convention like exchanging gifts.

I guess the main difference for me is that this unaired pilot showed me something I could laugh WITH instead of laugh AT.

For the record, I DO agree with most others on here that it probably wouldn't have done as well with a general audience - I just like this version much more.

30. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

BTW, there is another version of BBT out there.

Yeah, you know what I'm sayin' ;)

The Mad Professor likes this.
  31. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This pilot felt a bit less insulting. I prefer Sheldon as a slightly more normal, but still inept character. Maybe it's just because I'm currently forced to live with a complete *****, but his character in the series annoys the crap out of me. I do prefer Penny though, and Raj and Howard are an improvement.

32. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Oh thank god, you guys. I thought I was a minority of one. I HATE that character! I think it's really down to him, he's so unwatchable he kills the show for me. I'd like to like it, I *do* like 'The IT Crowd', but...Sheldon, ugh. How can anyone stand to watch him? :lol

Scapey, you are a bad man. :p

33. GDafi

GDafi Sr Member

Yip, Leonard was a stronger character, Sheldon was a wishy washy version of the Sheldon we have come to love and hate(which ever camp you fall in)
    Kate/Penny ended up right in the series, and all I can say about then Nerd Girl(Gilda?) is lets see her in a Princess Leia slave costume

34. TaylorMcManus

TaylorMcManus Well-Known Member

I've never watched the show before, but I actually thought that was really funny. I'll have to check out the real thing now!

35. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

I found it a bit flat and unappealing.....

Rich

36. steveo

steveo Sr Member

I just recently got into this show and after watching this pilot, glad they changed it. This pilot seems off the mark on a lot of things including tone. I don't consider myself a prude, but I found the whole sex/masturbation plot way too open and out spoken, and I did not care for the trashy/***** Katie character. With a background like that, it's hard to like her. I did laugh, so it wasn't all that bad.

37. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I've seen this unaired pilot before and did not really care for it.

I will have to admit I am undeniably hooked on this show. It encompasses at least 50% of all my tv watching. I can watch the same episode 5 times in a row and still enjoy every second of it every time. Best tv show since ST:TNG.

And thanks to Kaley Cuoco my drool/slobber glands are in the best shape they have ever been in my entire life!!!:love That thing that connects her legs to her back--GYUD GYOD!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013