Ultra's knockturn alley sign...(harry potter...diagon alley) FINALLY FINISHED!

ultraman

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
HELLOOOO SEXY CHILDRENS!!!:D

well...what mystical, magical, mayhem has been happening at the ultra's house you ask?!?!
why it's the knockturn alley sign of course!

knockturnalley.JPG

one morning i woke up and thought;" hay i wanna make a killer knockturn sign"...so i searched high and low on google and rpf and guess what?!?!...nothing!
seeing as no one else has made one yet i figured i'd be the first to take a crack at it!

my plan is to make killer screen accurate ones out of wood and resin to do a run in the junkyard with.
problem was all my supplies and money were tied up in other projects.
THAT'S OK FOLKS WE'LL WORK WITH NOTHING! so i ran around and gathered found objects around the house.

now keep in mind folks the pictures your about to see may be shocking, horrifying, and not for the faint of heart!
(meaning this is just the prototype until i get my good supplies for the junkyard run!)

1.) so the first thing i did was draw everything out to size on some foam board (using the bricks in the screen shot above as my standard measurement.)

knock1.JPG

2.) next i stacked and glued 2 boards together then set in vice clamps, let dry....then cut out with band saw.

knock2.JPG

3.) then i busted out the sculpey and shaped out the hand all 3d like!

knock3.JPG knock4.JPG

4.) next took out more foam board and built a mold frame.

knock5.JPG

5.) and then i poured the mold...after it cured i tested it out with dental plaster (sure wish i had my resin in)

knock6.JPG

6.) drew out the "knockturn alley" lettering on another board then stacked some of them together, glued and put in vices again!

knock7.JPG
knock8.JPG

7.) now i chopped up some paper clips and drilled into the back of the hand and glued them in with super glue to pin them into the board for better support.

knock9.JPG

8.) then i thought to myself....why doesn't this sign ever get ripped off by the baddies?!!? well ladies and gentlemen..its because the the ministry of magic is around to make sure this doesn't happen!!! and soooooo....i made this magical warning label for the back!

knockturn 10.JPG

9.) then aged it up with the ol' tea and coffee method.

knockturn 11.JPG

10.) then using a bbq coal brick i burned the edges all super awesome like! and came up with this wickedness.

knockturn 12.JPG knockturn 13.JPG

11.) all that was left now was splashing some of the next door neighbors blood on the hand and BANG KILLER SIGN! (pun intended)

knockturn 14.JPG knockturn 15 finish.JPG

the only thing i think i will do better on the finished versions will be to back off a little on the blood splatter...i had the hand and sleeve toned and dry brushed in a killer
forced lighting which looked just like the screen shot above...but to much of the blood effect covered most all of it up....oh well live and learn!!

feel free to comment, critique or just say hi!
and let me know if your interested in a finished one because i will be doing a junkyard run and will need to know how much
supplies to get.

thanks for your time kiddies!
-ultra out!:ninja

Last edited:
Re: ULTRA'S KNOCKTURN ALLEY SIGN...(HARRY POTTER...DIAGON ALLEY) lots o' pics!

Wow cheezus...10 of em?!?!? some one really likes harry potter. lol
i see that was your first post!
welcome to the site man!!!

I was fortunate enough to purchase a few Knockturn Alley signs a number of years ago from an artist that carved them by hand in solid wood. (see photos in my décor album). It's such a great project!

I absolutely love your creation and the warning sign is a terrific idea; very clever indeed!

My only critique of yours might be the lettering: in the original was white on black instead of gold, and perhaps cut back on the blood a bit for a more subtle look. Otherwise, it’s just a wonderful job!

BTW, what kind of molding material did you use?

Yessssssss i like this!

thanks for your comments! i guess i will try and paint one in white letters on the finished product and see what the members think....i want to stay as screen accurate as possible but you have to admit the gold looks killer!
and i will be backing off on the blood...as stated in my post above it ended up being a little too much because it covered up my awesome forced lighting paint job...this will be corrected in the finished piece for sure!
as for the molding material...it was one of my many 2 part silicone by smooth on.

I was fortunate enough to purchase a few Knockturn Alley signs a number of years ago from an artist that carved them by hand in solid wood. (see photos in my décor album). It's such a great project!

I absolutely love your creation and the warning sign is a terrific idea; very clever indeed!

My only critique of yours might be the lettering: in the original was white on black instead of gold, and perhaps cut back on the blood a bit for a more subtle look. Otherwise, it’s just a wonderful job!

BTW, what kind of molding material did you use?

thank ecl so i take it i should put you down on the interested list?!?!?:cool
Yessssssss i like this!

Ultraman,
Wow, what an awesome job!!! I am not in a position right now to buy one but I will be following your progress and maybe I will be in a better place by the time you are ready to do a run. Thanks for sharing your process. I love seeing how things come together in a build :)

thanks woozel
don't worry you got a little time yet....i just ordered the resin last night so i won't get it for a few days. i have to run around and checkout wood prices and hardware. i'll keep you updated as things come together!;)

Ultraman,
Wow, what an awesome job!!! I am not in a position right now to buy one but I will be following your progress and maybe I will be in a better place by the time you are ready to do a run. Thanks for sharing your process. I love seeing how things come together in a build :)

ok sexy kiddies...its on got my resin in the mail today and i'm casting away!:ninja

knockres1.JPG knockres2.JPG

Just a reminder; all sales take place (including INT threads) under Classifieds, thanks.

no problem mods! all sales will take place in the junkyard!

well kiddies...

i've been hard at it working on making the higher quality signs.
got everything molded and casted....and finally after 7 days of work
i have the hands mounted to the sign boards ready to paint!
knockboard1.JPG knocboard2.JPG

feel free to add any comments that would help make these as screen accurate as possible. one such comment was that the sign is black and has white letters...if you feel this would make a better sign please comment.

-ultra:ninja

sooo i'm basiclly at the point of painting the signs now.
as i got to looking at my screen shot: knockturnalley.JPG
i'm starting to wonder if that is paint on the letters at all?!?!
to me it looks like there is wood grain in the letters....
which makes me think they masked off the letters then painted the sign blackish brown then wood stained over the letters.
if anyone's got a good blue ray copy of chamber of secrets maybe you could snag me a screen capture so we can blow it up and see if this is true.

working away....

took some sticker sheet and used them for my masking for the lettering. then colored them in with crayon to build up a waxy surface on the paper in order to repel the paint.
stinclecut.JPG

(notice i had to buy spiderman crayons instead of normal ones cuz i'm weird like that lol)

then the part everyone hates.....exacto blading out the letters and lining everything on the board to paint. (the real pain in the butt was removing the sticker paper...its like trying to takoff price tags during christmas and the paper comes off but the gluey side drive you nuts)
stinclepaint.JPG

once removed i have this. which now that i think of it...it does look more screen accurate with just the wood grain showing and no painted letters. i also put in the hardware after sticking it in a candle flame to age them up a bit.
stincleremoved.JPG

then i painted the hands just like i did on the prototype only this time you can see the forced lighting i was talking about before i messed it up with too much blood splatter
handspainted.JPG

let me know what you think.:cool

thought i should toss this in for easier comparison
knockturnalleycompare.JPG

Last edited:

Ultraman,
I think they are turning out great :thumbsup Thank you so much for sharing your work in progress. I love to see things come to life :)

They are looking great man! dig seeing the step by step. Shows how much work actually goes into them! Awesome work

Ultraman, it looks wonderful! i really like it and could be interested in one. how much will it cost? have you thought about price? and i guess it is close to original prop in dimensions. i wonder what are the dimensions?

i'm going to start an INT thread in the junkyard and let everyone help me figure out the price. all money stuff will happen in the junkyard...i'll pm you when i start the thread.
don't want the mods mad for talking about money here in the main thread.

as for the dimensions i used the bricks in the background of the actual shot as my standerd measurements so i'm hoping it's exactly the same size as the one in the movie.

from fingerpoint to the end of the board lengh wise it's 28 inches long...4 1/4 wide and 1 inch thick.

Ultraman, it looks wonderful! i really like it and could be interested in one. how much will it cost? have you thought about price? and i guess it is close to original prop in dimensions. i wonder what are the dimensions?

thanks guys....it's coming along nicely.....i think i will have to try and wood stain one just to see if it's as screen accurate as i think it will be.
i'm going to try and get it as close as possible.....i'm gonna add all the cracks and i was thinking of using the screen shot and actually trying to paint the blood splatter exactly where its suppose to be instead of just randomly splattering it which gives you no control at all

Ultraman,
I think they are turning out great :thumbsup Thank you so much for sharing your work in progress. I love to see things come to life :)

They are looking great man! dig seeing the step by step. Shows how much work actually goes into them! Awesome work

Ultra! It's amazing! :D

They look so good!!!!!!!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back