Ultimate Mjolnir

BlindSquirrel

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Since I've knocked out two Uru hammers, I couldn't resist using my new lathe to start making Thor's massive hammer from "THE ULTIMATES".

UMjolnir.jpg

The shaft started as three 40" long 2x4's glued together. With much effort and putty I have made this.

5ShaftMetal.jpg

Table-leggy in appearance but I guess Brian Hitch knew what he was doing as it really feels good to hold and is very easy to change grips. I did notice that Hitch never drew all the details the same way twice...this design was my best guess compromise.

More photos will come as I make progress and blog entry when I finish.

You always keep us in suspense. First I couldn't wait to see the Stormbreaker blog, now I'm chomping at the bit to see how you'll accomplish this one. :) The handle looks great, I think I'm going to have to buy a lathe now...

<div class='quotetop'>(BlindSquirrel @ May 15 2006, 05:23 AM) [snapback]1244408[/snapback]</div>
Since I've knocked out two Uru hammers, I couldn't resist using my new lathe to start making Thor's massive hammer from "THE ULTIMATES".

UMjolnir.jpg

The shaft started as three 40" long 2x4's glued together. With much effort and putty I have made this.

5ShaftMetal.jpg

Table-leggy in appearance but I guess Brian Hitch knew what he was doing as it really feels good to hold and is very easy to change grips. I did notice that Hitch never drew all the details the same way twice...this design was my best guess compromise.

More photos will come as I make progress and blog entry when I finish.
[/b]

I guess it varies artist to artist...

Here is the handle THEWRAPOFCONS is working on for me.

pep.jpg

Here is the version I am going from:

ultthorbust5.jpg

ultthorbust4.jpg

Cant wait to see your hammer blind squirrel... Your work is AWESOME..

Damian

PS: Links for the pictures dont seem to be working so here is the LINK TO SEE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

I had a productive weekend...

Here is the hilt ring...a painted shower ring from Kmart turned out to be just the right size and a breeze to attach.

12RingFinal.jpg

I also made the axeblade master out of MDF. I plan to vacuform the 2 sides and fill with foam to keep it light (as will the hammer head). I will insert thin styrene painted with glow-in-the-dark paint into the lightning bolt groove...maybe removable, I don't know yet.

20AxeFinal.jpg

The hammer head is about to be lathed and should be finished this weekend.

<div class='quotetop'>(blufive @ May 31 2006, 07:21 AM) [snapback]1253654[/snapback]</div>
Nice blade.

If you vacuform over it, you'll lose a lot of the lightening bolt detail.

:)
[/b]

Should I mold the blade and do a pull over the negative? I've HEARD of this but not seen it done.

<div class='quotetop'>(BlindSquirrel @ May 31 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]1253694[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(blufive @ May 31 2006, 07:21 AM) [snapback]1253654[/snapback]
Nice blade.

If you vacuform over it, you'll lose a lot of the lightening bolt detail.

:)
[/b]

Should I mold the blade and do a pull over the negative? I've HEARD of this but not seen it done.
[/b][/quote]

I havent seen that either... I'll check around.

D

<div class='quotetop'>(upandatom @ Jun 15 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]1262223[/snapback]</div>
We need an update, by Odin's beard.. :)
[/b]

Damn it man. you SO had my hopes up that He finished this..

Damian

I'm getting VERY close. I have completed the head of the shaft (where the hammer and axe are attached), the axe blades, and in the final lathing stages of the hammer head.

Hopefully this weekend I will be casting all the parts to create negative molds for vacuum forming.

Once I complete the forming machine (wiring the oven now), I will make styrene copies and then fill the inside with expanding foam.

That's the PLAN, anyway. We'll see how it actually turns out.

I'll post some pictures this weekend.

I didn't get to casting but I did finish turing the hammer head. To give this some scale, the part that the axe and striker connect to is 9" tall.

33Junction.jpg

36Striker1.jpg

37Striker2.jpg

38Axe.jpg

This will be a monstrous MF'er....

Unfortunately I don't have anything dramatic to show off. I've puttied and primered the pieces but not yet cast them.

I'm toying with the idea of re-lathing the shaft to get it more accurate....maybe this weekend.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back