Two and a Half Men

DoubleD

Sr Member
I honestly didn't know how the transition from Charlie to Ashton was going to work. The way they were going to do it made sense, but would it actually work?

After watching last night's premier, I think it will. Ashton nailed his role and although it took a minute or two to see him sliding into the show in what I consider Charlie's house, it worked. While similar in some aspects to Charlie, he's different enough where he's not a simple replacement.

I, for one, am really looking forward to the next episode.

I for one do not look forward to the next episode. First, I hate Ashton, I have ever since the whole "Punk'd" thing. He's lucky that I allow "Dude where's my Car?" on occasion. His character was just too slow at first and made it look like they just put in a idiot(oh wait...). Than, already in the first episode, turn him into the "Charlie" character.

Second, they really stuck it to Charlie. Hit by a train? Bag of meat? Morgages? Giving all those women STD's? SUCKED UP IN A DUSTBUSTER?! Cmon, anyone can see that they wanted to show how much they hate Sheen... I am shocked they even said his name. I figured they would try and pull off a "he who shall not be named".

The show will never be the same without Sheen, and they pretty much dug the shows own grave for getting rid of him.

It wasn't bad....I'll give it a whirl for a while and see where / how it goes. Even still, Charle Sheen himself said in his own words : "hell yeah, I'd have fired my arse too".

Considering the show I don't think they "stuck it to Charlie". That's the low brow show that it is. The STD comments etc were par for the course with that show, as is the low brow humour. The balloon filled with meat MAY have been a stretch..but was likely there to eliminate any chance that Charlie would be back.

I was actually surprised with the dialogue Cryer had to the ashes..saying goodbye and thanking Charlie for his help etc.

I didn't think it was a great show to begin with so I don't think it will be any worse. I watch it really only as filler when working out..or I want to tidy up around the house.

My wife and I looked at each other as the show ended and shrugged. Meh.

Kutcher's character is an older version of the 70's show. Big whoop. Kutcher's character shouldn't be a doofus, he should be intelligent, against type. That might be worth watching.
As it is, I'll give it a couple eps to see if it gets it's footing, but not impressed at all.

I for one will never get enough of this show, Charlie Sheen or Ashton Kutcher. it could be piped into my cerebral cortex and still not be enough.
Laffo.

I for one do not look forward to the next episode. First, I hate Ashton, I have ever since the whole "Punk'd" thing. He's lucky that I allow "Dude where's my Car?" on occasion. His character was just too slow at first and made it look like they just put in a idiot(oh wait...). Than, already in the first episode, turn him into the "Charlie" character.

Second, they really stuck it to Charlie. Hit by a train? Bag of meat? Morgages? Giving all those women STD's? SUCKED UP IN A DUSTBUSTER?! Cmon, anyone can see that they wanted to show how much they hate Sheen... I am shocked they even said his name. I figured they would try and pull off a "he who shall not be named".

The show will never be the same without Sheen, and they pretty much dug the shows own grave for getting rid of him.

Charlie Sheen has a sockpuppet account here???? :lol
J/k man

I think they did enough 'shock your senses' with guest stars in the first few minutes so by the time Ashton waltzes in its palatable. He never delivered any gut busters but his character fits in. Not well, but fits. Time will tell but it appears as if they really need to step up the writing for Walton or the show will slump. And yea, Chuck stuck it to Charlie Harper. He gets all pissy when his production notes slam Sheen for months and the minute Sheen fires back, WHAAAAA your fired! Pay Mr. Sheen 25 mill and many more checks in syndication. Winning indeed.:thumbsup Who knows maybe he is crazy like a fox. I hope I dont look that old at 46.

The roast was funny as hell. Except for Kirk and Seth, the panel was filled with has beens and nobodies.

Hard to say good or bad or what exactly his character will be off one show.

I thought it was fine. Doesn't seem like it'll bomb. I think the only mistake they can make is trying to turn the character into a womanizing alcoholic (i.e. charlie). Take a departure and let a character grow. That's what disappointed me in the past with the show. There were at least 3 different times they could have taken the character in a new direction (gotten him married or whatever) and they clearly had no intention of doing so.

It's a new actor and you're trying to break yourself from sheen, so be creative and take it in a different direction.

Kutcher, i believe, is actually extremely smart, so can't be much of stretch for him to play smart.

Cboth. I get what you are saying. But I think most of the magic was the different flavor that made the show. Type A butt of the jokes, dopie kid-teenager always hungry and farting, needeling ex wife, and fun loving sex monger who appealed to the inner man. Mix them all together and you get a recipe for success.

Walton seems to be blah. We already have a blah character, the kid. Sure he plays off of the other carachters but now we have two of them. Im hoping the writers had Walton in a state of shock and he does start drinking womanizing etc. I dont think I can stomach a show where Alan and Walton are buddies playing chess or scrabble. But a Walton who starts stalking Rose.....:thumbsup

I dunno, it seems rather vindictive to tie up Charlie's story the way they did when they easily could have just written him out as having never come back from running off to Paris with Rose. Just have him give the house to Alan because he's not coming back and you put everything in the same situation it is now without the petty "meat balloon" stuff. All the STD stuff at least fits with how much the character got around so it's not jarring as the writers wanting us to laugh at Rose murdering Charlie.

I'm half-inclined to choose to believe that rose is lying and for whatever reason Charlie and she are faking his death. It's no less crazy than anything else she's done when she faked a marriage complete with dummies to make Charlie jealous.

Griping about all that aside I have to say I enjoyed the Dharma and Greg cameo far more than anything with Ashton. This is the first time I've seen the show when it wasn't a rerun, and I'm not convinced to go out of my way again based on this episode.

I watched out of curiosity. All my freinds have LOVED the show. I have never found it to be funny.

Last night, the jokes during the funeral weren't funny. John Stamos' "rape" joke certainly wasnt funny. I chuckeled twice. I thought cryers' heartfelt words to his dead brother were done very well and the following joke was hilarious.

Doubt I'll watch again.

But then, they could still bring him back. Say that Rose had him chained up the whole time.

IMO it sucked. I didn't like it nearly as much. Charlie's character was hilarious. Now we get to see two pathetic guys at a bar crying to pick up hot women...and it works? I'm not a fan of Ashton's character at all or how it is being played.

Looks liked I just freed up some free space on my DVR scheduled recordings....

I enjoyed the show befor and the Charlie character. Watched the season opening episode and found Ashton's character to be not much more than what he played years ago in "That 70's Show". I think I may stick with the reruns.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back