TrooperTrent Holiday Special Lightsaber Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by halliwax, Feb 18, 2019.

1. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Seriously have to apologize for how long this took me to get out.

The video will show how many different days I’ve worked on it. The past 3 days my block including the 2 before me haven’t had any internet and tv... it’s like living in the Stone Age all over again..

Anyway I don’t have to ride around looking for free WiFi..

Here’s the latest video, I’ve gathered all the pictures, already have them cropped and ready to go. All I need is to write up the tutorials and I’ll update the thread.

I appreciate everyone’s patience, not much left to do now

jorged123 and thd9791 like this.
  2. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

lookin good my friend! very clean paint jobs

halliwax likes this.
  3. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

Some more Halliwax magic!

Coincidentally, I just started some preliminary work on my own saber, tonight. Cut the threads off of the flash, and used paint stripper on the lettering, to good results.

I’ll have more time to dedicate to this build, next week. The part I’m dreading is the shroud fabrication. But, on the flipside, I already have Korbanth grips left over from the Graflex 2.0 built, which removes the need to find some decent grips.

halliwax likes this.
  4. halliwax

Thanks Tom!!

Greg, the shroud isn’t that hard. It’s just a lot of sanding. I imagine others will use power tools to speed up the process but that’s just too dangerous.. let it snag and cut your hand up pretty good.. not worth it

5. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man, you are really hyping up that "reveal" lol! People are going to be so disappointed.
    Good stuff

halliwax likes this.
  6. thd9791

lol

I tried to fit a key-ring in the original hole. Not a great situation, it's just a 1/4 20 hole. I ended up slicing a small bit of threaded rod, and glueing the large part of the keyring to it.

halliwax likes this.
  7. halliwax

It’s gonna be fun!! ;)

Trooper_trent likes this.
  8. halliwax

Dat’a boy!! Make it work! ;)

9. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

My build is coming along. Working on painting the box. Finished the shroud yesterday, and it wasn’t so bad.

10. halliwax

My latest video has been processing all late afternoon yesterday... I’ve been fighting one hell of a cold. And I passed out again last night early, let me see if this sucker is ready now...

11. halliwax

So weird.. it’s saying it’s still processing but yet has it listed that it’s finished.. I give up lol

thd9791 likes this.
  12. halliwax

See if that works, don’t have much left at all. This is a really fun project

thd9791 likes this.
  13. thd9791

looking good my friend!

halliwax likes this.
  14. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Danny, just a heads up that the last two videos aren’t showing up on your YouTube channel.

halliwax likes this.
  15. halliwax

Somethings up with YouTube right now, if you are still having the problem in 24 hours please let me know

16. halliwax

Episode 2

Epsiode 3

17. halliwax

Still not working Chris?

18. teecrooz

I can watch them embedded here just fine. I just didn’t see them published to your channel.
    D1F62D0C-27E9-47E9-B785-DF8D7C4007A2.jpeg

19. halliwax

Hmmmm I wonder

20. halliwax

Chris I figured it out, I had to send a video to trent and kept it private. Every video I’ve posted after that automatically kept the private setting

Changed that now, can you see it now?

Thanks for letting me know, I would have never picked up on that!

teecrooz likes this.
  21. teecrooz

All good now!

But now I’m curious about the private videos... maybe I don’t want to know.

halliwax likes this.
  22. ALLEY

ALLEY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Haliwax, seriously, thank you for taking the time to complete these videos.

Awesome job!

The irony is, the Holiday Special Saber obviously took much more time to cobble together for the prop makers than the ANH Graflex Saber that it was loosely based off of.

halliwax likes this.
  23. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

Awesome grip tutorial!

One observation, though—on the one good photo of the endcap, you can’t really see that ring of bare metal that should be there, if gaffer tape was all that they used, instead of paint. The entire endcap—both the insert piece and the edge of the flash tube—looks black. It’s hard to tell, though, and the gaffer tape explanation makes sense.

halliwax likes this.
  24. ghettojedi

ghettojedi New Member

Thanks for doing this Haliwax. The videos you have made are awesome!!!! I can't wait to get in to my new home so I can get started on this and get back to work on my R2!

halliwax likes this.
  25. Trooper_trent

Yep. There's really no way of knowing what was used there, which is why I made up the fake "graflex" endcap with the trademark on it. For people that hack the real end cap, it could be sticking out a bit which could hide that ring, it could have been painted black if the end cap was really just a wooden dowel, we just don't know.
    Regarding the gaffer's tape, the only reason I thought that was because of this photo, and because it made sense that they just wrapped it in grip tape but then later maybe found some suitable track to put on it. I kind of just liked the idea that it was a last minute cluster "F" to get the thing built in time for that horrible show and thought it added to the story a bit. Obviously I can't confirm that at all, but it sure does look like it to me. It clearly has a different texture and lighter color than both the grips and the upper area that's definitely painted black. The edge of it appears to have thickness as well, which suggested the tape.
    ZQD2wws.jpg

26. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

Makes sense.

Just annoyed that I now have to order some gaffer tape! I was expecting to just paint the bottom and be done with this thing sooner!

27. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is it possible the gaffers tape was applied inside out and is actually holding the t-track on? That how i’ve leather wrapped sword hilts in the past. The sticky side of gaffer tape could appear almost gray or a murky black. Just a thought.

28. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Someone asked what I was binge watching lately...

B9E36A44-9A3D-437E-9BED-5D8494D78FCB.jpeg

Attached Files:

29. nailuj

nailuj Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is just brilliant. You have me hook, line and sinker.
    Loving the anticipation

30. Trooper_trent

most gaffer tape is light gray, almost white on the underside so I doubt it.

31. Dann

Dann Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man, the bottom looks so fat there, it almost looks like another tube with grips glued on was slid over the bottom of the Graflite!

32. halliwax

Guys thanks for all the support! Sorry I took so long to reply. I’ve been literally sleeping all day long

The doctor has me on so much drugs I don’t know which way is up anymore. And seriously sleep all day

I’m actually feeling the best I have today in the past few days, still not over it but feeling much better

I just want to remind everyone I’m not alone in this. Trent and I do these videos as a team, we sit down via video chat and go over what needs to be covered.

We go over reference, instructions, show you guys how to do it the easiest way possible for those with limited tools

It’s a team effort, and I can’t take all the credit

I also have to apologize because honestly this series I should have planned out better. When it comes to the order of things, now fooling around with the grips/control box you can do things in a easier order.. I’m going to try and come up with a list of what should be tackled first in order to make it easier

Greg, I totally over looked the bottom.. I freak’n thought for sure there was a silver ring! I don’t know for the life of me where I came up with this, it’s clear the bottom is all black, this is a easy fix, a automotive marker around the bottom or sharpie

But if I were to start from the beginning again, when painting the box and under shroud rectangle I would just hit the bottom then

I hope to have this done this weekend, but my voice and body is shot.. can’t talk 1 sentence with out coughing but the fever is gone this morning.. thank the maker

I have to laugh at the attention “you stinker” is getting lol I tend to say that a lot, my grand father would say that all the time in the job site when something wasn’t going his way

Again guys thanks for the support, Trent and I serious enjoy doing these projects and videos for ya

The written up tutorial will be posted soon, I’ve transferred most of the pics and that’s half the battle there

I’ll catch ya this weekend! Thanks again! Seriously!

Dann and Sundowner like this.
  33. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

Feel better!

halliwax likes this.
  34. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

Painted the end of the metal tube black to match Trent’s endcap. Just waiting patiently to receive my roll of gaffer tape!

And I knew that hanging onto my leftover Graflex 2.0 grips would pay off!

halliwax likes this.