Tron: Legacy - Young Flynn (1989) Costume Build

how well does that velcro hold? I was thinking about using VHB 3M Tape for mine?........also do both side run off one driver? or each have their on separate one?

This is the package on glowhut.com that I got for the tape strips on the jacket. I also used the same package for each of the shoes. That's 4 of this package on glowhut. The shoe strips were cut down to approx. 18", making them brighter from a distance.

I also bought 4 of these:

Male-to-female EL connecting wires, to connect the jacket strips to the battery packs in the bottom of the jacket, and the shoe strips to the battery packs in the pants pockets, running up the pant legs.

So, for pricing concerns:

($21.00 x 4) + ($5.88 x 4) = $107.52

Hope this helps with all the questions. :)

Oh, and the velcro strips hold very well. Still holding on mine, and the costume's been assembled for months.

Last edited:
Velcro tape on the back of the EL, and the other side of the velcro next to the zipper on the jacket:

That's funny, this is exactly how I attached mine, not even thinking that you did the same thing :). I used the "Soft and Flexible" velcro you can get at most any craft store. I can attest to this method being the best way to go to pull off Flynn's jacket, without actually gluing the lights right to your jacket. I've worn my jacket out about 4 times now, no problems, and people frickin love it :D.

Xelement Men's Cruiser Perforated Leather Motorcycle Armored Jacket

$69

just thought that this may help some of you that are on a budget
Thanks! That looks like a great close-enough that's definitely within my budget.

how well does that velcro hold? I was thinking about using VHB 3M Tape for mine?........also do both side run off one driver? or each have their on separate one?
I was wondering about t his too. It might be worth using a few hand stitches to tack the Velcro to the jacket, but then you'd be putting holes in the leather.

This is the package on glowhut.com that I got for the tape strips on the jacket. I also used the same package for each of the shoes. That's 4 of this package on glowhut. The shoe strips were cut down to approx. 18", making them brighter from a distance.

Male-to-female EL connecting wires, to connect the jacket strips to the battery packs in the bottom of the jacket, and the shoe strips to the battery packs in the pants pockets, running up the pant legs.

So, for pricing concerns:

($21.00 x 4) + ($5.88 x 4) = $107.52

Hope this helps with all the questions. :)

Oh, and the velcro strips hold very well. Still holding on mine, and the costume's been assembled for months.

Thanks for posting this! Very helpfull!

Yes. And not a dumb question at all. This is probably the most common question regarding EL. You CAN cut it, but there are some stipulations:

1. Since MORE power is now going into LESS tape after you cut it, it will do one of two things: get WAY brighter, or short out and not light up at all, in which case you'd need to buy more tape.

2. I've cut a meter and a half (paired with a 9 volt inverter) down to less than two feet for the shoes. Neither strip shorted out, in fact, both were pleasingly brighter and better looking. No sparks, no mess. This may not be your result, but my tape from glowhut seemed pretty resilient to cutting. Hope this is everybody's experience. :)

3. The different manufacturers/retailers will most likely recommend NOT cutting your tape, but bottom line is: it can be done. Some retailers will give you straight answers on what minimum length you can cut your tape without it running the risk of shorting out, based on the power supply you are using. I've had good history with glowhut.com.

4. For safety: After cutting, make sure to seal off the raw/cut end of the tape with clear tape. (Scotch, etc.)
This provides an insulated barrier between you and the live electricity running through the EL tape. Some people recommend wiping the raw/cut end of the tape with rubbing alcohol before sealing, but I've found just taping works fine.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for posting this thread! Thanks to you, I think I'll be attempting this or something similar for Halloween! Just wanted to express thanks and give you a potential head's up that I might have a follow-up question or two for you once I get into it, although everything in theory looks fairly well detailed out to me at the moment...

Anyone have any thoughts on how sneakyderezzer attached the el tape to the leather jacket? Trying to figure out a way to do it , and make it look professional. I don't want it to bend out when the jacket moves. completely flush i guess is the best way to explain it.

I am going to buy some EL Tape and put together this young flynn costume this year. The EL Tape comes with removable adhesive backing(some say actual 3M brand) so you can just peel and place. Dont know how strong it is but on my leather jacket i think it should hold well. If not ive heard of people using adhesive back velcro stips. Hope that helps.

SneakyDerezzer - awesome project, and very well executed! Thanks for posting your pics, and your tips! I have been looking for suitable EL tape, and trying to find stuff wider than 1.2cm is really tough. Well, wider and without a faint line down the middle. I found some stuff that is supposedly better, but they don't post prices. I may still inquire with them in the next couple days.

I was wondering, and im sure once i get the connectors it will be obvious but need to know if i need soldering gun, but I havent been able to find how the El connectors work... which side(male/female), goes to which part(el tape/inverter)? and does it require soldering at all? Thanks

That turned out great, sneak. I think its safe to say you will have the sweetest costume anywhere you go this year. I actualy built a young Flynn also a few months back with the same steps. Mine was movie inspired but altered a bit for fun. I used the same SI disc mod but I'm having the disc painted glossy black. I'Ll keep you posted on how it turns out.

- Mister Digital

I followed the link to Glowhut, and the tape set you were talking about doesn't come in white - only red, yellow, or green. Am I at the right one?

I emailed Glowhut and was told white is sold out...
Guys, I'm so sorry, I hadn't checked in a while... I'm sure they'll be getting white back in soon. You might try another of the threads on RPF and see if any other websites sell package deals like glowhut in white. It really is the best way to go, in my honest opinion.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back