TRON: Legacy - Robes

A costume based on Flynn's black robes is probably going to be my next (first for this forum) project. It's actually likely going to end up a joint project between a seamstress and I as my sewing skills are not precise enough for my liking for this.

I've been working on outlining the electrical schematic and power requirements while watching the Rose Bowl today. Along with dismantling a deluxe identity disc.

The actual design of the robes is somewhat abnormal. The hood seems to appear and disappear as needed like it accordions down and becomes the collar. I'm considering scraping the hood all together or making a "snap in" hood that I can remove.

The fabric looks like a heavy weave linen or hemp. The pattern on the back and up the sleeves look like they are going to be somewhat difficult to replicate until the DVD/BluRay comes out. 90% of the time the lightening isn't at the right level to even see that there is a pattern on the fabric.

@JaneSays: I just saw the movie today and found myself examining to see how the black Kevin Flynn robe was constructed. It seems like the easiest robe to replicate, so it's probably the best one to start with. I think the white lighting on the insides is maybe 3" or 4" wide strips of the lighted material. At first I thought they might have lined the inside with some type of reflective white fabric to enhance the lighting, but I think the white strips are wide enough that it wasn't necessary, as it wouldn't have been seen much anyway.
Bit of an aside, but does anyone know how they did the slight pulsing of the lights on the suits? It didn't seem to happen all the time and I was wondering if it was intentional, and if it was something done practically or by CG.

Hey Eohnavi (and everyone else too)-

The attached file is the best picture of the costume I've got. I really does show details that you can't really focus on in the theater.

I just updated my "master reference" pic, which is to large to post here but have a link:
http://www.whatjanesays.com/files/flynn_black_master.jpg

Warning! That link goes to a fairly LARGE image! 3000x2500 px

Has anyone got a good image of the costume from the back without the disc? I'm trying to get a grasp of the device that holds the disc and how big the "plate" in and its proper placement. Or really any costume without the disc as they all seem to be of a similar design.

Me and another poster here are planning CLUs robes as seen in the discwars scene. Heres hoping both turn out well! All that el wire is gonna be a task on its own

First time poster for a LONG time lurker. My thoughts on seeing Kevin Flynn (especially in the black robes) was that I'd /finally/ found something that wasn't a fantasy dwarf I could costume w/out being a major issue. As a bearded fellow of less than slim build, Kevin Flynn's robes are PERFECT.

The white portion of the coat looks to have been simply a white lining with a strip of EL tape (or the like) on the edges of the collar/flap and the cuffs. The coat itself looks to be a wool material, possibly with a satin lining. The outside trim also looks to be a satin/silk smooth material. There are some detail sections on the outside of the arms that you can see in JaneSays' linked picture.

The underrobe looks like a westernized spin on Japanese robes (men's kimono's in particular) with shortened sleeves.

I'm hoping to pic the brain of a costumer friend of mine for suggestions on fabrics when I get a change.

Can't find the video again but there was a short clip with the costume designer and she was talking about the materials used. She advised that every fabric they used was actually synthetic! I want to say she described Flynn's inner robe as being a polyester that just looked like it was linen. It's a pretty great effect but I'm sure it was probably all custom manufactured.

I'm with CalaveraJoe. Being a "full figured" woman there was no way you'd get me in to an all spandex and rubber suit. ^_^ I think the robe approach is more suited to my style anyway. As I'm not planning an exact replica of the outfit I can play with it a bit.

I wanted to share the attached image because it shows off the design on the back of Flynn's robe. Being from the video game it is likely not 100% accurate but it shows structurally the lines and slits better.

Is there a decent source for wider EL tape out there? All of the stuff I have on hand is a bit narrow and I'd rather have 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch wide strips to start with than double up and try to conceal the line. I'd really like to just get a spool of the wide stuff and wire it up myself.

Attachments

• z_flynn.jpg
    z_flynn.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 2,432
Has anyone managed to find any appropriate EL tape for the black robes? It's tricky because you really need 2" - 3" tape to match Flynn's robe.

Last edited:
Has anyone managed to find any appropriate EL tape for the black robes? It's tricky because you really need 2" - 3" tape to match Flynn's robe.

The pieces of EL tape and EL wire I've been messing around with both came from eBay, they do have a website Home but there are some other shops that sell EL stuff. They can do custom sized bits but it is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. So I'm doing the ol' buy longer strips and cut it down to size and hope you don't ruin it bit.

My next feat is feet, or boots rather. I'm thinking of getting some spandex/lycra boots and molding some foam over them and just leave a gap for a light strip.

In the mass of talent on this forum is there a good thread to look at for advice on modifying boots?

The underrobe looks like a westernized spin on Japanese robes (men's kimono's in particular) with shortened sleeves.

i was looking to do kevin flynn style robes as well. i agree that they do look like japanese robes. i surfed the web and found that the inner set of robes look like kendo uniforms [kendogi] sans belt. the outer robe could be a modified 'haori'. haori are typically used as coats. i'm going to check out a local japanese goods vendor and see how they look in person.

I think the biggest hurdle / limiting factor for my own robes will be the EL tape. Frankly, it's just too expensive, especially for this project.

Just re-saw the movie last night, and I would guess that the edges of the robe are lined all around with 2 (possibly wider) white lighting. This includes the slits on the sides and the back, as well as the cuffs and collar. That's a lot of lighting, and the wide tape ain't cheap (at least not that I've seen).

Not the end of the world, mind you, it just means that the likelyhood of me doing a lit up one is rather unlikely. I will probably go with the super reflective stuff that some people have, perhaps installed with velcro or some other easy to remove/replace material for down the line.

Also, after watching it a second time, there is most definitely detail on both the white and black version of Kevin's clothing (a pseudo circuit pattern) around the disc mount. It may not be until the BluRay comes out that we get to see clean shots of it.

Glad I found you guys! I think I may do Flynn's white 'zen' robes for my husband, especially since I just got the white disk. My first though was reflective ribbon or paint. Perhaps a glow-in-the dark paint mixed with a silvery white. I want it to be a comfortable and inexpensive costume.

So I'm off to find images. Look forward to going through and reading everyone's informative posts - I'm imtiminated by the thought of experimenting with EL wire or lighttape .

-Cherie

The EL wire and EL tape is pretty light weight and most of it is fairly bendy. The wire you can tie in a loose knot and the tape will wrap around a 4 or 5 inch diameter pipe without issue, it can go tighter than that but some brands/colors are more sensitive to the stress than others.

I might be doing the white robes too. If I come across any new pics of that outfit I'll share. :)

Has anyone made any progress on this?

I'm planning on making the black robe so any experience, hints, tips, patterns, pictures etc. would be immensely helpful.

I could probably help with finding a pattern or at least retro fitting one. I customize my own patterns. I'm not having any luck finding a decent picture of the robe to go by...I should go see the movie again... :) I'd love to see a pic in action at work if u get this done.

If anyone is going for the white one here's a pic of the back of the actual movie robe. It doesn't show the whole thing, but it's a start.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 593
wow, so I told my friend about this idea and he sent me this: http://stashbox.org/1078735/tributeToFlynn'sRobe.jpg

now judgeing from this and JaneSays image a few things become apparent:

1. It does indeed seem like the hood disappears into a collar.

2. Looking closely at the lower-right corner of JaneSays' image it looks like the actual collar is made of a different material than the rest of the robe proper. I think the stiff collar obscures the bunched-up hood. Kinda neat.

3. The bottom is split into four parts.

4. Lights are in the sleeves, along the hood and the front of the robe, as well as along the bottom, and up the slit between the two back bottom flaps (for lack of a better word).

5. The light widths are somewhere between 1.5 inches and 3 inches wide. Not really sure here.

Last edited:
@Lin: How the hell do you have a DVD rip?

@GreyFox: The batons do light up according to the color of the program.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back