Tron Legacy Costume

Anyone have issues with getting their EL wire from elwirepros? They were awesome and super speedy but my white wire looks blue. :( should I try diffusing it? It's too late to send it back.

Hey guys! Another update here. All the parts to make my own custom modded Sam Deluxe Tron Disc from scratch will have arrived by Thursday minus the lighting on the outer blade. Didn't know what length I'd be needing but it looks like 3 feet is fine for the outer portion.

I'll be going with an all EL Wire mod to show the benefits of it VS the LED versions I've seen out there.

With the inner el wire that I already have, I'll be sizing up the guts of the ring to see if it'll fit and will report my findings when I get the chance.

Thinking about going with a Soulintertia mod kit if this doesn't work out, though. Those outer rings look so perfect. If I do, I'll still have left over parts to make outfits or accessories when I design the costume part. Definitely a win-win so long as I don't permanently add anything until I make up my mind.

Parts bought so far:

Sam Deluxe Identity Disc
2 feet of 'quick connect' EL wire
10 neodymium magnets
2 mini inverters (CL-IPTC-3v-3-7FT)
2 AAA battery compartments
2 non heavy duty single pull, double throw switches. (Heavy duty was out of stock.)

Anyone have issues with getting their EL wire from elwirepros? They were awesome and super speedy but my white wire looks blue. :( should I try diffusing it? It's too late to send it back.

Hi HQuinn:)

How blue is it?

If its really pale, take a pic of the wire when it's on in a dark environment, you might find it'll look white in the photo. I had a similar thing happen with some tape I got (used for the costume in my avatar pic):

d95996f5.jpg

You wouldn't know from the pic above that the tape is blue.

^ Thanks so much Canobi. Unfortunately I think mine is a true aqua blue. :( Thoughts?
yykv6.jpg

Hi HQuinn

Yep, that's aqua blue all right. It might be an idea to send this pic to the people you bought the wire from and explain you ordered white. If white is the colour you ordered and you recieved blue (even if it is aqua), you should be able to get them to swap it. Most places supply aqua blue as a colour choice and it's not your fault you recieved the wrong colour. Just be polite and I'm sure they will help you. If not, I might have a length of white in the 5mm size you can have as I used some for my disc mod as well. I'm at work right now but I'll look as soon as I get home if you want?

I found the piece I was on about, but it's too short to use for the C ring = ( Sorry about that, I thought it was longer. I hope you get it sorted though, you've started well. What are you going to use to light the blade? I used LED strips for mine:

e39a4df4.jpg

I found the piece I was on about, but it's too short to use for the C ring = ( Sorry about that, I thought it was longer. I hope you get it sorted though, you've started well. What are you going to use to light the blade? I used LED strips for mine
Thank you so much for offering it though! I really appreciate it. I emailed the owner and we are trying to figure out what to do. He asked if it was pink or white when it wasn't lit. It looks white, with a hint of pink. I'm so confused lol

As for the outer ring, for now I'm going to solder the original LED wires to the main board. Eventually I will most likely add my own LEDs. :)

I'm going to finish my rogue program costume for New Year. It needs a bit of repair in places from wearing it out before its ready :)behave), and I've got to add the EL tape to the arms and lower legs, but it's nearly there:

5dd11dbd.jpg

bf12aa02.jpg

30bea20f.jpg

Chest piece (front) with my homage to Tron using his costumes bust design from the first film:
0286d68b.jpg

Chest piece (back). I used my homemade disc hub to house my inverters and battery packs:

e5fc5c77.jpg

13b8d490.jpg

I'll take some better pics and put them up when I get a bit of time.

R
Very nice! How did you make the illuminated Tron homage piece?

Hi Tim,thanks for the compliment:)

I bought a couple of small EL panels with the intention of cutting out the circles from them like the legacy costumes. Found out what a pain that was and wrecked one of them, then the costume base parts arrive and have a completely different texture to the pic in the advert. I was going to shelve it but came across Tron's costume bust design. I inverted the spectrum in photoshop to make the black parts white and vice versa. I then messed about sizing the image to be the same as my remaining panel and layed a page full in publisher. I then had a friend print the file onto an overhead projector cell and layered three of the best prints and glued them all onto the panel. The white comes out clear, allowing the EL to show and the black blocks the light. I was really pleased with how it turned out even though I ran out of PlastiDip to finish it.

Last edited:
Im in the middle of building a Daft Punk Tron style Guy Helmet - it will be a Tron Style & colour, but using the lights from the older style helmet (which was a lot cooler imo)

I'm also going to make a jacket and trousers (ultimately in leather, but before that...) in plain black cotton which will be using the same pattern as the leather, however, I've made myself a lycra under armour style costume to wear, so if i can zip down the jacket to show this...

TronCompleteCMYKtiff283SewLinesCMYK_8.jpg

R

Hi Tim,thanks for the compliment:)
:thumbsup

I bought a couple of small EL panels with the intention of cutting out the circles from them like the legacy costumes. Found out what a pain that was and wrecked one of them, then the costume base parts arrive and have a completely different texture to the pic in the advert. I was going to shelve it but came across Tron's costume bust design. I inverted the spectrum in photoshop to make the black parts white and vice versa. I then messed about sizing the image to be the same as my remaining panel and layed a page full in publisher. I then had a friend print the file onto an overhead projector cell and layered three of the best prints and glued them all onto the panel. The white comes out clear, allowing the EL to show and the black blocks the light. I was really pleased with how it turned out even though I ran out of PlastiDip to finish it.
Cool! It turned out very well. :)

Hey guys, quick question. I bought some EL tape off of Ebay and it was total crud. where did you guys purchase your EL tape? thanks/!

Hey guys, quick question. I bought some EL tape off of Ebay and it was total crud. where did you guys purchase your EL tape? thanks/!

Alot of people have been purchasing it off luminous film or light tape. I myself got it at glow hut but to be honest that isnt high end like the two I mentioned before. Just be prepared to drop a bit of money if you want the good stuff

Luminous Film's product has been pretty popular with users in this thread. You can drop them an email and they'll develop a quote for the tape, inverter, and ETCO connector clips that you'll need to get started.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back