Tron Legacy Costume

I done making Superman Returns suit. Now i need some new idea, maybe i make new Tron costume. I loved Tron movie, cant wait to get my Tron costume

Welcome to the Tron Costuming thread. You will find all the info and help you need here. :)

Has anyone seen this or have this? I contacted the guy on ebay to get a sample of the brightness :cool

Paul

Hey Guys!

I`m kinda new to this thread, so if this has been answered before I`m sorry...

I need somebody who sells the hexagonal fabric for, well... not exactly a tron suit :p but it`s very similar so it works. I know Soulinertia used to sell it but he told me he`s put that on hold to pursue other proyects.. so if anyone else knows where to get it I`d REALLY appreciate it, thanks!

Is this Soul? If not :cool

Tron: Legacy Costume: Hexagon Fabric

Paul

Update: My Uncle in Florida was more than happy to ship the inverter to Canada, which saves me a ton of trouble. I'll be attempting to modify a Sam Deluxe Identity Disc using EL wire for both the outer and inner rings using the "Tron Identity Disc Modification" video on youtube. Once finished, I'll be working on my casual tron outfit with one or two EL Strips and then towards the summer the combat suit. Professional photography photos will follow as I've been contacted to set up a few fun sessions!

I thought I'd throw together a quick tutorial on how I built my Young Flynn or Flashback Flynn jacket for Halloween. This post might wind up on a friend's blog, but I thought I'd share it here first and see what everyone thinks.

I chose the Young Flynn style as it was simple to do for a first-timer--straight vertical white illuminated strips on the right outer zipper and the left inner zipper. Wanting to keep this to a budget, I did not opt for the screen-accurate leather motorcycle jacket, but rather picked up a $35 pleather jacket at Burlington Coat Factory that evokes the style. Importantly, it has a thin inner liner that can be used to hide wiring.

tron_jacket_unmodified.JPG

Next came the work of sourcing electroluminescent tape for the illuminated strips. Following suggestions, I decided to use LuminousFilm.com, purchasing a strip of their half-inch-wide split electrode POWO (pink off, white on) tape, as well as inverters and ETCO clips (for making electrical contact to the tape). For the purposes of the ensuing photos, I've used 1-inch-wide tape as the half-inch was used up.

EL_tutorial1.JPG

EL tape, four ETCO clips, and a 9V inverter with connector and internal battery compartment

EL_tutorial2.JPG

Close-up of ETCO clips. Note the teeth that bite into the phosphor layer of the EL tape after crimping.

Connecting to the EL tape was the trickiest part. Conductive glue and staples can work, but there are durability concerns. Using the ETCO clips, I've had no broken connections thus far. I first crimped stranded wire to the clip, soldered it in place, then crimped the wired clip onto the EL tape. I finally wrapped the whole assembly with black electrical tape for added strength, being careful to ensure that the two adjacent ETCO clips don't touch each other (a bit of a challenge with the narrower half-inch tape).

EL_tutorial3.JPG

Picture showing how one can crimp the wire to the ETCO clip (I recommend soldering afterwards for added strength) and two ways for crimping the clip to the EL tape.

Regarding inverters, they take 9V or 12V DC from batteries and produce the high-voltage, high-frequency AC required for the EL tape to glow. The inverters are often rated in terms of the area of EL tape (in square inches) that they can drive. The small 9V inverter pictured above can only drive 5-12 square inches, insufficient for the two EL strips on the jacket. I therefore used a larger 12V inverter that would be up to the task. The electronics are potted in epoxy and there is no battery compartment. I therefore used a 8xAA battery holder with 9V battery clip to produce the proper supply voltage. This arrangement was able to power my jacket for several hours at a Halloween party without problems.

EL_tutorial4.JPG

If using more than one strip of EL tape, note that they must be connected in parallel. With that in mind and the EL tape wired to the inverter and batteries, next came final assembly. To make the design modular, I used self-adhesive Velcro (which is conveniently available in a half-inch width) to attach the EL strips to the jacket. I then cut small holes in the material of the jacket and lining for the wiring. Although not pictured, I used a series of two-pin connectors (commonly available at Radio Shack or online) to make hookup and disassembly simple. I hid the inverter in an inner pocket of the jacket, and then cut holes in the lining so that the 9V clip attaching to the battery holder was accessible from an outer pocket.

EL_tutorial5.JPG

Inverter pulled out of its inner-pocket hiding place. The black edge of the Velcro is visible.

EL_tutorial6.JPG

Inverter back in its inner pocket, with connector and wiring visible. The wiring disappears into holes in the lining at the lower hem of the jacket.

I did not add a switch to turn the EL tape on and off; one can easily use a thumb to disconnect the 9V clip from the battery pack in the outer pocket.

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product, ready for the Grid!

tron_costume_finished2.JPG

tron_costume_finished3.JPG

Hope that was helpful (even if pic-heavy)!

Last edited:
Fantastic work!!! I'd love to make a jacket like Kevin's for my boyfriend one day. He'd freak out. Did you get the velcro from JoAnns Fabrics?

Fantastic work!!! I'd love to make a jacket like Kevin's for my boyfriend one day. He'd freak out. Did you get the velcro from JoAnns Fabrics?
Thanks! I got the Velcro it at Michael's, but I'm sure JoAnn has it as well. They had five-foot rolls in small boxes.

QUORRA COSTUME BLOG POSTED! I posted my pics a while back, but have now posted photos from the construction process with comments, as well as my construction guide. I hope that it will be very useful for those making TRON costumes! All in all, I got much inspiration and helpful tips and info right here, and then added and came up with a lot of my own, too! I hope some of you out there can use this to help your build - ENJOY!

[COSTUME BLOG: My Quorra Costume]

With my suit that you found this picture of,
i used soft and flexible velcro from jo ann fabrics.
I glued one side to my foam, and the other to my compression
shirt and pants while I was wearing them. I used E6000 glue.
I opted not to used the adhesive velcro because I wasn't sure
how long the adhesive would hold on, especially when using
compression/spanex under suit.

Cool. Thanks! Also, thanks to everyone who responded to me! :thumbsup

Small update. I got my base suit sorted it's a Triathlon wetsuit and has a real sporty feel to it. I put together an animation of the final look using images of my tape stencil and disc. Hope you like :cool

tron_anim.gif

This is how my disc is looking. The C ring is lit using 15 LED's I got from an old lightsaber :)

388751_10150505004890081_567675080_10822858_2127899987_n.jpg

377406_10150505004105081_567675080_10822856_481769477_n.jpg

I'll add more soon, have a few projects on the go :love

Paul

Hi guys well I have finally finished reading through all 194 pages! but it was worth it for all the great info you all have supplied and all the costumes so far are exceptionally good.

Im planning on doing Quorra, loved the film the minute I saw it and I think i might have a slight Tron obsession starting lol.

Im going to attempt to make her armour using smooth skin neoprene (I have never done this before so it will be interesting) I have found some on ebay but i have no idea if its the right type could anyone tell me if it is?

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back