Tron Legacy Costume

Ok, I'm making a lot of assumptions since I don't know where you got them from. Based off the LED light strips I found online, they consume 70W per 60 LEDs. That's about 1.2W per LED or 0.1A per LED.

From what you gave me in that post, you have 100 LEDs. That 10A of current your disk is using. With a "23A" 12V battery, they're typically 33mAh. You'll get a little over 3 hours on a fresh battery. Because it's such a high drain, you may lose some efficiency because of the battery heating up. I'd bank on 3 hours as an estimate.

I messed up the math terribly, please ignore.

Last edited:
Finally finished my costume! Below are some test pics without the wiring hidden away (note it dangling from the inner pocket in the latter photo). I used this pocket to stow the inverter and 8xAA battery pack.

Also, upon rewatching the movie in Blu-Ray tonight, it looks like the "flashback" scene jackets have 1/2 inch EL tape--not one inch.

tron_jacket_resize.jpg

Robe is about done. Just have to get the hood sewed in and velco sewed for all the lights. This is a test fit to see if it does light up the face like in the movie. Enjoy my retarded expression.

View attachment 71850

I'm making a KEvin Flynn robe too... what did you use for the light holder in the back? Also, are you using EL wire? I thought I saw you posting about EL tape.

What thickness EL tape do you think the robe should have?

Looks great tim! I think I like the 1" better.

I'm making a KEvin Flynn robe too... what did you use for the light holder in the back? Also, are you using EL wire? I thought I saw you posting about EL tape.

What thickness EL tape do you think the robe should have?

I'm not sure what you mean by light holder. You mean the identity disk? I'm using EL wire in my props. EL tape on the actual robe. I believe in the movie he uses at least 2" EL tape, but I can't do that. That's just too much power and would require a ridiculous inverter. That's probably why their suits only lasted 20-30 minutes. I went with half inch on the robe, and one inch on the sleeves and hood.

Ok, I'm making a lot of assumptions since I don't know where you got them from. Based off the LED light strips I found online, they consume 70W per 60 LEDs. That's about 1.2W per LED or 0.1A per LED.

From what you gave me in that post, you have 100 LEDs. That 10A of current your disk is using. With a "23A" 12V battery, they're typically 33mAh. You'll get a little over 3 hours on a fresh battery. Because it's such a high drain, you may lose some efficiency because of the battery heating up. I'd bank on 3 hours as an estimate.

Um, math seems to have been off a bit here. I don't believe for a second the 10A number, it really should be 0.1A per foot, I could be wrong but that seems WAY hi. With a 33 mAh battery, a draw of 10 A will only last you 11.88 seconds. Just wanted to point this out before someone might not double check the results and blow something up.

Um, math seems to have been off a bit here. I don't believe for a second the 10A number, it really should be 0.1A per foot, I could be wrong but that seems WAY hi. With a 33 mAh battery, a draw of 10 A will only last you 11.88 seconds. Just wanted to point this out before someone might not double check the results and blow something up.

Oh wow, I don't know how I missed that. Thank you for pointing that out. I went back to the website and found my error. I assumed there was 60 LEDs in a reel from the chart, and it said 72 watts per reel. There's actually 300 LEDs in a reel. That knocks it down to 0.02A (20mA) per LED which gives 2A total for all 100 LEDs. My second mistake was not converting mA to A. So, that's 2000mA draw from a 33mAh battery. That's only about a minute of power. Ugh, it was a long day. Sorry again.

Wow, so many costumes now! great work!

Did you use el wire and the small 2AA battery inverter? ....... how did it fit in there? where did you put the switch? I'd like to buy the disc and mod it but i'm no good for electronics

Hi all:)

I found this to be most helpfull. It's a walkthrough on modding an Identity Disc. I watched it over and over for a while first, then set about modding my own:

Tron Identity Disc Modification - YouTube

Mine:

4530be56.jpg

I went a bit further with my mod and added 3mm 12v prewired LEDs to the four raised bumps.

e39a4df4.jpg

27f2eabe.jpg

Modding a disc is not difficult, but does require a bit of patiance and care for the first time. I was really pleased with how my first one turned out, and it's prompted me to do my Kevin Disc now. I'm going to vary again with some of the details and add a USB port so I can use it a a flash drive. Its well easy:), you put a memory stick of your choice inside the disc, buy a short USB extension with female mini on the other. Make a small hole somewhere on the back for the mini to just stick out and secure it all with apoxy resin, voila.... Your disc is now a flash drive:) I'm taking loads of pics of my Kevin mod so I might do my own disc mod walkthrough at some point.

Don't be afraid of trying new things or of making mistakes. Every master was a novice once.

That Tron disk is very well done, Canobi. Thanks a lot for the walk-through hookup. I got completely distracted from my post by watching those vids.

I've pretty much finished my vest and fedora for my End of Line character. Here's one of the pics and a link to the rest:

PICT0146-1.jpg

fedora and vest pictures by DigitalBabylon - Photobucket

I found that alligator clips work pretty well for attaching to EL Tape. You have to pry them down gently with pliers. I also soldered their pivots so they won't come loose. It appears to do ok and take some abuse, but I haven't put the vest through much wear and tear yet.

Went to a Halloween party last night and got to debut my Legacy costume there.

Costume consists of:

-UD Replicas Sam Flynn Jacket (XS)
-UnderArmour Clean Up III Batting Gloves (XL)
-UnderArmour Black Longsleeve undershirt (L)
-Magellan Wader boots (Size 10)
-bcg Compression tights (L)
-Black Craft Foam
-Duck Reflective Tape

The jacket fits as close to me as possible giving it the fitted on screen look. I was really happy with the look of the fit, but it makes it less usuable as a daily wear item. :( I just got the Jacket in on Thursday the 20th. Thanks to David Pea and UD replicas for making sure us 3rd Qtr customers got our gear for the holiday.
The Gloves are great in that they come with a hexagonal print coverings on the gloves and very little logos. The logos on the top of the hand and underside of the wrist were removed by cutting the stiching and pulling them off leaving. Silver embroidery on the forefinger was colored in with a Black Sharpie. Cut off the middle two fingers and left a loop for the pinky making sure to re-sew the cut ends so they wouldn't unwravel.
The pants were easy enough hot glueing the foam to. What took the most time was planning the design for the foam pieces to allow comfort and mobility while still resembling something that went with the rest of the costume.
The boots are completely black with a small logo on the outside ankle that I once again colored in with a Black Sharpie. I didn't have time to glue the reflective strip to the toe as of yet, but will add that for next week.

The Gloves, Boots and Pants were all purchased at Academy Sports for under $50.

Pics from last night:

316520_2394672798450_1599851475_2407814_31446338_n.jpg

316594_2394773280962_1599851475_2407982_990409614_n.jpg

Some inside shots from today. I still need to take some with more lighting.
tron1d.jpg

tron2.jpg

Last edited:
So I really hope Matt doesn't mind me posting this because his crazy grandma is in the picture, but here's the top for my End of Line pole dance outfit:
305872_10150363819369162_828514161_8141300_1698194504_n.jpg

She's wearing it because I'm not there and we're ROUGHLY the same size. :lol

The lighting is 2 different colors because he started with an old batch of EL wire and I ordered him some more but he thought he had white before when he actually had blue or something weird like that. So it's 2-tone, but I like it.

He also modded the disc to have an inner-ring-on and a both-rings-on setting using the existing lr44's from the toy. I think he took out the clear combat 'blade' ring around the edge and replaced it with some more EL wire... I'm a dancer not a fighter, y'know...

I love this guy, he's such a freaking genius.

Oh wow, I don't know how I missed that. Thank you for pointing that out. I went back to the website and found my error. I assumed there was 60 LEDs in a reel from the chart, and it said 72 watts per reel. There's actually 300 LEDs in a reel. That knocks it down to 0.02A (20mA) per LED which gives 2A total for all 100 LEDs. My second mistake was not converting mA to A. So, that's 2000mA draw from a 33mAh battery. That's only about a minute of power. Ugh, it was a long day. Sorry again.

So you are saying my disc is only going to stay on for a minute or so???

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back