Tron Legacy Costume

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. The Target store in my area finally put the Tron disks on clearance. Appx. $9.75 after sales tax, so it might not hurt to check your local stores as well.
Too bad I just bought one a few days ago. It seems like they are getting ready to clear them out, since the stock in the stores are dwindling. One of my local stores no longer has a tron section.

Oh sweet!! Those LED's look amazing on your costume.
What other 12v power sources can you use with these LED's?
I'm a little un-knowing about things like that, so any help or
suggestions from anyone would be nice! :angel
Thank you!

I am using THESE Led's from HobbyKing. You just solder a 12V power source directly to the Led's, no inverters needed. I will be using a 3S Lipo battery to power the whole suit.

Hey all, just a friendly post to those of you who are looking for a solid hub and are on a budget. I went to the home depot today and I ran into this nifty thing for less than $5...

NIBCO 4 in. ABS DWV MIPT Cleanout Plug - C5818 at The Home Depot

I was going to buy a snap end cap someone suggested earlier in this thread but I thought the little square notch made the hub look cooler. I had to sand it a little bit, but it wasn't that bad.

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

If you sand it down to where it fits snugly, you won't need magnets. I wanted magnets just to be sure so I sanded it down more so I could attach a metal strip for them to attach to.

that is a really good idea right there that I may just have to do as well. but heres the golden question...how do you attach it to the garment?
Hey all, just a friendly post to those of you who are looking for a solid hub and are on a budget. I went to the home depot today and I ran into this nifty thing for less than $5...

NIBCO 4 in. ABS DWV MIPT Cleanout Plug - C5818 at The Home Depot

I was going to buy a snap end cap someone suggested earlier in this thread but I thought the little square notch made the hub look cooler. I had to sand it a little bit, but it wasn't that bad.

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

If you sand it down to where it fits snugly, you won't need magnets. I wanted magnets just to be sure so I sanded it down more so I could attach a metal strip for them to attach to.

that is a really good idea right there that I may just have to do as well. but heres the golden question...how do you attach it to the garment?

Since the hub is hollow, I was planning on gluing it to a thin piece of cardboard then attaching Velcro on the cardboard and gluing magnets on the inside side of the cardboard. I'm attaching a small metal plate with magnets on my guitar strap and wear it under my shirt and hoodie so the weight of the disc doesn't sag the garment ( I got this idea from a previous post so thank you whoever suggested sandwiching the garment with magnets).

If your garment is sturdy enough though, I think the Velcro will be enough.

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

Can you solder a wire to a staple? Or is the staple too thin?

I need to make connections to some EL panels and I read that staples made good connections. I just don't know what the best way to attach a wire to a staple. Is there a better method from common household items?

About two months out from con so I figured I should get a start on putting this costume together.

I finally decided on a design. I'm going for a EOL club goer so I am sticking with a fairly simple design. Haven't fully decided if I want any lighting on the back other than the disc yet. Once I get it mocked up I will figure that bit out. This is what it will hopefully come out like this.

tron2.jpg

Or if I get busy and finish my other costumes maybe like this
tron1.png

Thanks to Ponshigu's suggestion I ran out to Lowe's last night and picked up an ABS plug for my disc hub. While I was there I was thinking about how I was going to attach it to the back of my costume. While sitting in the plumbing isle thinking I saw this ABS Spigot Flange and thought it would be perfect.
SDC11634.jpg

SDC11638.jpg

I bought a 4" plug and a 3" Flange mainly because I thought the 4" flange would stick out under the sides of the disc when put on. I also have enough room between the plug and flange that I can put magnets to help hold it on. Not only can I easily connect the flange to my costume a couple of different ways if I like but with those long openings on the side I intend to thread straps through to the inside and have backpack like straps so the weight doesn't pull down the back of the costume. There is also a recessed bit that the disc fits nicely into and that I intend to set magnets in to hold the disc in place.
SDC11644.jpg

The pipe in the center will need to be cut down some but that's not too big of a task and I am going to cut the square off the top of the plug and somehow fill in the hole and make the top smooth. Thinking fun foam and bondo at this point unless I can come up with anything else or pick my Dad's and Brother's brain to see if they have any better suggestions.

Edit: Total cost for the two parts for the hub: $6.50 including tax. So I don't feel too bad if it turns out a total failure.

Edit: After staring at the Flange all morning I think I may just go get a black pipe cap and forget the plug all together.

Last edited:
That is way cool!! I definitely like the use of the shower curtain pieces as a diffuser with LED's as an alternative to the EL tape. It's just all kinds of super bright, and seems like it is a more cost-effective route too.
I may try this with my flashback Kevin Flynn jacket.

Hey, speaking of flashback/Legacy........and this is probably gonna' sound way out of left field, but, has anyone ever told you that you bear a striking facial resemblance to Tron?.....

If you at some point were to also do the flashback Legacy/Tron costume, you'd have people stopping in their tracks and doing a double-take!

Not kidding, man. You'd have to grow the hair a bit longer or wear a wig, but, the facial resemblance is that close. At least I think so. I'm just sayin'.

And that's probably the last thing you wanna' hear or even think about doing right now, is YET ANOTHER Legacy costume, but, just had to mention it.
:)

Anyway,...which brings me back to,...
Hey, this one looks awesome!!!!!

Thank you for the kind words! And hmmmm, you might have something there..... :)

tronmix.jpg

tron2.jpg

Or if I get busy and finish my other costumes maybe like this
tron1.png

I -really- like this costume design. Its minimal yet very formal in appearance. I'm thinking If you go for the the one side sleeveless aspect of the 2nd draft, that should be applied to the other arm but it will look good either way. I like how contrasting it is and with the open arm you could do a wrist collar or an entire glove.

Because it reminds me of a Wrath of Khan Monster Maroon so much (which it itself is inspired by other tunics), you totally need to have the flap allow for a "half-open" look and make the exposed interior lining be one big fat EL panel or a non-powered reflective layer.

Because it reminds me of a Wrath of Khan Monster Maroon so much (which it itself is inspired by other tunics), you totally need to have the flap allow for a "half-open" look and make the exposed interior lining be one big fat EL panel or a non-powered reflective layer.

I like that idea. I may have to make that my 2.0 version of it since it will be a stretch to get this one fully done the rate I am going. My vacation can't get here soon enough so I have time to do nothing but costume.

This is actually a design that another rpf user created for his Tron costume. But I guess if you like it, go for it

Yeah, I knew I saw it somewhere around here. Dont worry, Im not gonna jack his design, this was just an idea I liked. Im gonna add my own twist to mine (like the helmet and so on) and hopefully do a program proud! :)

Can you solder a wire to a staple? Or is the staple too thin?

I need to make connections to some EL panels and I read that staples made good connections. I just don't know what the best way to attach a wire to a staple. Is there a better method from common household items?

I tried this, but the soldering iron burned out the connection and few minutes later, the panel piece wouldn't light up anymore.

Instead of Soldering it, try this:
(1) Separate the two wires and put a small piece of heat-shrink tubing on each.
(2) strip the wire back on each, giving about 1" of bare wire.
(3) loop around the staple and twist it back on itself.
(4) slide the heat-shrink tubing over the twisted wires and use a heat gun or Hair Dryer to seal the tubing over the wires.

It will look something like this, but use a smaller gauge Heat-Shrink tubing:
TronPanel02.jpg

Too bad I just bought one a few days ago. It seems like they are getting ready to clear them out, since the stock in the stores are dwindling. One of my local stores no longer has a tron section.
man in all of my local stores in TWO staates didnt have a tron section. Iguess Im just unlucky.

For all of you waiting to hear back about the option for the Powerless Illuminating Polymer Ribbon . I did hear back from them and here is the information that I was given.

"Currently, we do not offer a White glow product. White is a very difficult color (or lack of color!) to achieve using even the latest technology. For now, the closest cool color we offer is Blue."

Here is their main site - Home - Lunabrite Light Technology

So, in conclusion if you want blue, this might be a good option, otherwise, back to all the other discussed options about LEDs or EL tape.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back