Tron Legacy Costume

I found sliver reflective tape(was hoping for white but...close enough) at pep boys it was 4.00. Going to test it when my el-wire gets here. -crosses fingers-

Just ordered a disc holder from that guy, thanks for the link.

Also, thanks to everyone for all the info on that L200 Minicel stuff, just ordered a bunch of it. Looking forward to seeing how easy it is to work with.

Chad

Just 2 magnets, at the base. You can use more magnets if you want, but I used gravity to help it hold on that little clip at the top, and to keep it from flopping around, used 2 magnets at the bottom to help hold it in place. Its easy enough to open the disc and superglue them in, and then superglue the magnets to the holder to match it. Just be careful you don't accidentally superglue two of the magnets together, like I did :p

After reading through a heap of posts over the course of two months I'm finally ready to say Hello! What you guys are doing is great, so much useful info here where we could otherwise be stumbling around blindly in the dark.

Anyway (pardon my sleep deprived intro) I've been looking into quite a few of the costumes posted here, and I realized I will be facing the dreaded squiggly lines problem with my current EL-tape pattern. I don't know if I happened to miss it, but has anyone been able to counter this problem? and does anyone have experience with electrical tape + fabric, cause I'm worried I won't get it to stick right :p

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hi all, wow, this is a long thread. :)

Yes I too have succumbed to the dire need to have a bitchin' Tron costume that illuminates brilliantly. I'm thinking el tape is the way to go? I've been trolling the interwebs looking for how to work with the stuff, what you can and can't do with it, (cut it into shapes? can you splice several pieces together to make it wider/longer etc) the info is pretty thin. Anyone working with it? Experience and insights?

Also, this is my very first costume build, no sewing skills to speak of, I may be in trouble! ;)

Hey look at this. http://electroluminescence-inc.com/costume.html cool, but $50+ a sheet, times how many sheets to do the whole suit? spensive :/

Last edited:
Hi all, wow, this is a long thread. :)

Yes I too have succumbed to the dire need to have a bitchin' Tron costume that illuminates brilliantly. I'm thinking el tape is the way to go? I've been trolling the interwebs looking for how to work with the stuff, what you can and can't do with it, (cut it into shapes? can you splice several pieces together to make it wider/longer etc) the info is pretty thin. Anyone working with it? Experience and insights?

Also, this is my very first costume build, no sewing skills to speak of, I may be in trouble! ;)

Hey look at this. costume cool, but $50+ a sheet, times how many sheets to do the whole suit? spensive :/

There are many alternatives to the sheets. I am going a EL tape and wire route. You can trim EL tape, you can cut it, but it depends on how. See this link to learn more; http://www.luminousfilm.com/tech/fabrication-sheet-se-.pdf I submitted my order today for 13 feet of the stuff. Hope to get it within a week, but that is my hope. I have not received an estimate for delivery yet. I know annisse has received hers. As for putting it together, you can place it side by side, but by (atleast from how I interpreted it) fusing is not easily possible.

That being said, I also have no sewing skills, and my plans require none or very little. I am using 3/8" and 1/4" foam sheets for the actual armor, I am still waiting to see if SoulInertia releases his hex fabric before I figure out the undersuit. To connect the foam I will either use caulking or E6000

^ Just sent in my order to LuminousFilm as well for 5' of the 0.5" and 5' of the 1" white panel. I'll be the folks over there are scratching their heads over the spike in orders. :lol

May be too late, but we found this worked in a similar situation. Very impressed with everyone's work!

<snip>

View attachment 48045
Result. Tolerates folding, crushing, abrasion. This was grey. Would probably work in black. Not identical to the screen costume, but close and cheap.
That's fantastic! I love the ingenuity!

^ Just sent in my order to LuminousFilm as well for 5' of the 0.5" and 5' of the 1" white panel. I'll be the folks over there are scratching their heads over the spike in orders. :lol

I got 12' of 1" and 1' of 3" wonder how long it will take to get my order.... :confused

Thanks for the reply and all the good info techfreek, this is gonna be cool. Man, at this point I'm concerned about how I will be creating the suit itself, been looking at pics of the costume Hollywood made and I was thinking, "how do you fabricate this stuff", you need to be a sculptor and a master of materials, is that rubber?" lol. Well, looks like I'm going to be learning to do this as I go, current skill-set required for costume making - zero. :lol

Excellent big image of Sam Flynn to use as a reference for your costume design. http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/Tron-Legacy-character-movie-poster-3.jpg :cool

Last edited:
We've lighted up the suit yesterday! The Lighttape works great. I'm after a sleepless night and I couldn't make a replica but I think it's decent enough for showoff (people will mostly be amazed by the glow to notice anything else)
They gave me the blue-green light and claimed this is what they used in the movie. However, the disc is blue and I don't have time to swap the lights inside (too much work for my electronic guy yesterday anyway). Do you think I can just paint it from the outside with some permanent yellow marker to make it more greenish?

I'll upload some pics soon.

Man, at this point I'm concerned about how I will be creating the suit itself, been looking at pics of the costume Hollywood made and I was thinking, "how do you fabricate this stuff", you need to be a sculptor and a master of materials, is that rubber?" lol. Well, looks like I'm going to be learning to do this as I go, current skill-set required for costume making - zero. :lol l

Personally, I am in the same boat. I have sewed some buttons on in the past, I have soldered a few things, but besides that none. My plan, (like i said before) use the EVA foam as the base, and if I need more detail, such as the border around the edge of sam's shoulders, I will cut peices of the 1/4. I will use the E6000 to glue the pieces on. I will also use a heat gun to help form the foam to a form(that was confusing). The heat doesn't make the foam rigid, but it helps keep it in that shape.

Note, most of what I have been saying are either from personal knowledge, or (mostly) what I got from reading the forums. So if I made a logical error, I misremembered...

We've lighted up the suit yesterday! The Lighttape works great. I'm after a sleepless night and I couldn't make a replica but I think it's decent enough for showoff (people will mostly be amazed by the glow to notice anything else)
They gave me the blue-green light and claimed this is what they used in the movie. However, the disc is blue and I don't have time to swap the lights inside (too much work for my electronic guy yesterday anyway). Do you think I can just paint it from the outside with some permanent yellow marker to make it more greenish?

I'll upload some pics soon.
I painted my disc with aerosol glow paint from glopaint.com. Came out pretty awesome. I have pictures of it in my profile.

I painted my disc with aerosol glow paint from glopaint.com. Came out pretty awesome. I have pictures of it in my profile.

I love your work! Minimalistic and everyday style!
But I don't think I'll need a glow-in-the-dark kind of paint, cause my electronics dude modded the disc so it would stay lit up.
So it's already lit, I just need the right color.

I'm gonna wear this costume today and on the weekend for a local holiday so I don't have time to order online and I doubt I can find this paint in stores around here. If I just paint it, with regular acrylic paint or permanent pen, etc, woudn't it give nice results?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back