Tron Legacy Costume

Well I am still waiting on my mannequin to be delivered so I can started crafting, got a bit bored so decided to try my hand at foam crafting a helmet very similar to Sam Flynns, I did a cardboard frame and used filler foam all over it.......well it looks ugly as hell atm (till it hardens and I can sand it back and refoam, when done good or bad I'll post a pic :S I found the foam didn't come out of the can very well (vigorously shaken beforehand) it just bubbled out like dambusters hit the can, any tips from anyone who has tried this method before? If it eventually comes out OK i am thinking of fibreglassing it.

Managed to obtain a picture of EnviroGravity and I from ALA. Sorry ShogunVader but this is right before you arrived (and btw the picture I took at Anime Expo was with you)
5341710829_8704fba871_z.jpg

Currently going to start working on an original program from the new movie. Why base it off a character when I can get creative?

Managed to obtain a picture of EnviroGravity and I from ALA. Sorry ShogunVader but this is right before you arrived (and btw the picture I took at Anime Expo was with you)
5341710829_8704fba871_z.jpg

Currently going to start working on an original program from the new movie. Why base it off a character when I can get creative?

ALA
164132_499270542205_732742205_5937354_971849_n.jpg

The disc can stop Raiden's blade!

168043_483623000886_582020886_6539795_7219558_n.jpg

Gravity girl knows how to melt it!

166873_483622865886_582020886_6539789_8040901_n.jpg

This guy was just epic! Raiden from the next Metal Gear Solid game.

164841_483622345886_582020886_6539771_5917929_n.jpg
167557_483622405886_582020886_6539774_2666576_n.jpg

Random Tron Girl, what was cute was how her identity disc on her back was a blank compact disc, real old school cyber pirate. And throm!

163134_483622710886_582020886_6539783_825921_n.jpg

One of the artist was a real world Rinzler, and together we took on the gravity program. But by the way blue looks at red you think she want to make some purple rain.

I have read the reports that the siren suits were difficult to move in and I call.. well "untrue" to be polite ;)

Rubber coated nylon lycra is super soft and stretchy. Heck my Samara bodysuit (more complex with about 100 individual fabric pieces) is made from a heavy nylon fabric with a rubber coating (it smells of balloon!) and I could do the splits in that thing were I so inclined;) It is only uncomfortable because like all bodysuits you need to be rigidly upright and hold posture and stomach.
Looking at the siren suits and the wrinkles that form suggests the suits are really quite soft and not terribly constricting. However being so soft there is that whole issue of not making wrinkles- there is more need to change posture to avoid them. So I suspect that is the real issue. Also i spotted some underlayers going on while at the movie theatre- possibly some wiring- so that may also have been an issue.

I have made my on latex fabric and it is really stretchy and really stable. The problem is that it will be hard to make nice and consistent at home as opposed to with industrial equipment

I do have matte 4 way pvc in both off white and silver. These are kind of odd in that they are on some fabric that appears to not be specially knitted but could be sold as plain stretch nylonpolyester lycra. I think I'll use them for a few reasons:
I am sick of the smell of balloons in my workroom every time I work with latex. The ammonia of uncured latex is okay but the balloon smells stays with me ;)
The fabric is already made so saves me a few weeks of work.
The fabric is more stable and will not degrade over the next decade like latex will.
It's nice and supportive and gives a good butt lift.

And just a nice find:
Polish Costume (Polski Ubior) 17th C
For anyone who though the shoes were fashion forward ;) Try 400 years backward ;)

I just wanted to contribute a little to this thread, this is my file full of reference pics for Sam's suit, and they're pretty much every available angle so here it is
Tron legacy Sam Suit Reference Pics.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Also wanted to say that I'm making my own suit so if you don't mind you could keep an eye open for that within the next month.

That is a great collection of photos! Very helpful! If I find any more I will post them for you!

I was curious if anyone else is going to try to implement sound into their costume. Right now I am thinking of attaching a little MP3 player to my wrist and then running a wire to the back disc mount area and having 1 or 2 X-mini speakers so that I can have the Tron Soundtrack playing whenever appropriate.

Haven't started building anything, still in the design phase and even though it would make it so my costume wasn't 100% screen accurate, I think it would be more fun that way.

Anyone else using sound?

Chad

I considered this, but feel like I have enough wiring flying around as is.

I wired 2 speakers to the front of my CLU costume (in the 2 circles in the chest upper area). I pulled them from an unpowered ipod speaker set. Worked pretty good. Wiring was an issue... I didn't secure them 100% at first and during a fitting I pulled the wires from one speaker. Had to solder them back.

hello all
i didnt want to start a new thread just for a question soooo

i just got my el wire and inverter in the mail and its awesome but it makes a high pitched beep when the lights are on. is this normal, user error or a diddley dud?

Hey all! I've been reading through this entire thread and I have to say, it's all very helpful (and a little beyond me, honestly!) I'm hoping to make Clu's robe from the Disk Wars scenes, as I do not have the body structure or confidence to pull off a skin-tight bodysuit. I'll probably wear leggings and a tight shirt underneath, but won't bother with the whole outfit. What I will do is the boots, helmet, and gloves, and the epic glowy robe.

My issue is... I know I can sew that robe and make it look good. I've never ever worked with EL tape or lights in a costume before, though. Would you recommend sewing it and trying to commission the lights, or doing trial-and-error on my own?

hello all
i didnt want to start a new thread just for a question soooo

i just got my el wire and inverter in the mail and its awesome but it makes a high pitched beep when the lights are on. is this normal, user error or a diddley dud?

Not sure about a 'beep', but all inverters / drivers make a slight to semi-loud 'whine' or hum when operating, as PM noted.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back