Tron Legacy Costume

I am actually looking to create my own program character, already have a bunch of things planned out. I wanted to keep my original like lime green idea so hes more than likely going to be basically a corrupted medical program.

A friend and I are troubleshooting the lighting for her costume. She wants the Siren style but in blacks, with orange lights.

I haven't tried it yet as I am waiting for supplies to come in, but one of my ideas was to use super bright 3mm LEDs and a semi translucent white silicone to defuse the light and make the shapes. The planned process is to use a smooth flat board with some wood strips to build a mold in the shape of the light patterns, then run the LEDs along the edge facing inward, then filling the mold with the silicone. Fabric would then be used to line the edges to cover up the LEDs and wires. Perhaps putting reflective tape behind the silicone would help aid the effect, as well. I think this would glow brighter than any other electrical method, and would be fairly inexpensive. The downside is that it's more time consuming to make and will be thicker than the other methods. What do you all think?

A friend and I are troubleshooting the lighting for her costume. She wants the Siren style but in blacks, with orange lights.

I haven't tried it yet as I am waiting for supplies to come in, but one of my ideas was to use super bright 3mm LEDs and a semi translucent white silicone to defuse the light and make the shapes. The planned process is to use a smooth flat board with some wood strips to build a mold in the shape of the light patterns, then run the LEDs along the edge facing inward, then filling the mold with the silicone. Fabric would then be used to line the edges to cover up the LEDs and wires. Perhaps putting reflective tape behind the silicone would help aid the effect, as well. I think this would glow brighter than any other electrical method, and would be fairly inexpensive. The downside is that it's more time consuming to make and will be thicker than the other methods. What do you all think?

Sounds like a possible idea. The only issue I see for others is just the time consumingness of pouring silicone.

I think you can use any colour, it's a big system after all and there were thousands of programs in the Tron Legacy arena cheering the combatants on, I am sure Rinzler is more red (his light cycle is a bit orange though :S) than orange, the costume I am making is red and I am interpreting it as one of CLU's security programs like Rinzler.

I was curious if anyone else is going to try to implement sound into their costume. Right now I am thinking of attaching a little MP3 player to my wrist and then running a wire to the back disc mount area and having 1 or 2 X-mini speakers so that I can have the Tron Soundtrack playing whenever appropriate.

Haven't started building anything, still in the design phase and even though it would make it so my costume wasn't 100% screen accurate, I think it would be more fun that way.

Anyone else using sound?

Chad

I was curious if anyone else is going to try to implement sound into their costume. Right now I am thinking of attaching a little MP3 player to my wrist and then running a wire to the back disc mount area and having 1 or 2 X-mini speakers so that I can have the Tron Soundtrack playing whenever appropriate.

Haven't started building anything, still in the design phase and even though it would make it so my costume wasn't 100% screen accurate, I think it would be more fun that way.

Anyone else using sound?

Chad

Its a neat idea, May be worth implementing if you had a way to control it from your front.

Perhaps you could use smaller leds and just increase quantity to make up the difference...this might allow you to have thinner pannels.

I was also thinking about using a thicker sower curtain backed by reflective tape to diffuse...just havent done any r & d yet

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks trying to read up to page 83 which I finally have, taking from it a multitude of ideas and methods. I came upon this site after just prior to the release, reading a few posts here and there, thinking, "this would be a fun project some day" and moving on. After seeing the movie, and playing though Tron:Evolution, I've decided I should start now and have it ready for DragonCon or Halloween later this year. I've read through everyone's experiences (mad props to everyone on their projects), taking into account their resources and abilities and have figured out just about everything I want to do for my Tron-inspired program suit. What scares me the most with this project is that it's only my second costume creation, but my first one with a moderate-high budget and the first electrical project I have undertaken.

Ok, so onto the details:

Theme: The suit is intended to be a unique design with a smooth black underneath and textured armor plates fitted on top. The light design will follow a rough idea for what I've always planned in my tattoo artwork so it is intended to be very asymetrical.

Under Fabric: black spandex, probably zip entry full catsuit with gloves/socks to make it easy on me. I figure since this is a base layer leave it at just that.

Armor: I'm still trying to figure out the best type of foam to use for this. I want lightweight, something easy to mold or sculpt is ok (molding will likely be easier) but color is not a concern because I'll be putting carbon fiber vinyl film as a decal over all of these pieces. Also, I want a foam that is easy to channel for the light wiring and the wires to be hidden underneath. In heavy flex joints like elbows and knees, (maybe hips and shoulders too) I am also looking for a soft plastic accordion shaped material that works well on bends of this nature. (I want to say there's a shot of such detail on Clu's elbow when he's looking at the apple.) Right now I want to keep the armor/spandex detachable, but I'm not sure if that will work.

Light: I'm going Eddie's route, following in the footsteps of Annise and him. My concern is that since I'm not aiming for white that this method could de-saturate the color. Since this is only an inspired suit, the color I plan to use is a green tone, but I'm not a fan of the glow-in-the-dark green-white sage color that tends to be the result. If Kai

Gloves/Boots: Gloves will be attached to the spandex, Boots....I'm lost. I want an armor piece that goes over the tops to house the electrical, etc., but I need to find a pair that is thin enough to fig underneath the armor with a sole thick enough to not kill my feet dancing. For variety my first thought is a thick-soled rubber tabi boot but not sure how feesable that is.

Electrical System: I respect the result of wires everywhere, but I personally would hate it for me. Too many people would pull at them and destroy the costume here, especially at Halloween (the blasted drunks!). I'm planning to utilize the armor to conceal what wiring I can, but my big concern is that I hear (ok, I'veinterpreted stories and implications) many have inverters spread throughout and have to manage segments individually. I'd like to have a system that can manage the entire suit on a single switch. If I can master this well enough, I'd like to have a dramatic switch that turns on pieces on a delayed sequence like Sam's does with the sirens (including the "activation and synchronize of the identity disc)

Accessories: Identity Disc, Over-Jacket, Bandolier, Light-cycle Baton, Helmet?

Disc: Depending on what I get for a lighting system, I want to make sure the disc color matches, either by paint or by lighting it specifically.

Over-Jacket: This is more to weather-proof the suit in case its raining, cold, or otherwise unpleasant to be worn outside. The problem here is that all the jackets worn in the movie have the disc outside, and I fear that I'll need to have some trick to let it show through while still being protected from the rain.

Bandolier: I am known for wearing this bandolier-like Chewbacca wallet-pack around town, but I'm not sure it won't conflict with the identity disc located on the back right across the line the bandolier goes.

Light-Cycle Baton: Initially I was uninterested in this, but the more I thought about the electrical system, I realized making my own or gutting/modding the toy one would bake a nice case house for a large battery pack and a centralized inverter to a single switch for all the wiring systems.

Helmet: If the jacket has a hood, do I bother with a helmet? The jacket won't likely be worn the entire time either. Or would it be better to have some head-based accessory like a goggle, vizor, earpiece, etc.? I haven't decided and would love to hear opinions on this to help focus this.

Now that I have it all down in writing I wonder if I'm a bit too insane...

Last edited:
Perhaps you could use smaller leds and just increase quantity to make up the difference...this might allow you to have thinner pannels.

I was also thinking about using a thicker sower curtain backed by reflective tape to diffuse...just havent done any r & d yet

I probably wouldn't have any patients for anything smaller, but you are correct.

So I'm going with the plan of doing BOTH costumes (I'm just a glutton for punishment, no? :lol). Here's my plan thus far...

1.) Quorra - as accurate as my budget can allow. I'll get creative if I have to! I'm making Quorra for Dragoncon later this year. I've already started on the costume as I'm sure, with my complete novice costuming skills, it'll take a while to complete.

2.) Siren - this one will NOT be completely accurate. My idea with this one is to create a flexible suit, rather than a restricting one like they did in the film. So I will not be using balloon rubber. I want it to have the look of the siren costume, but flexible enough that I can be active in it. I do hooping and would love to do a couple performances with a white LED hoop and this costume.

My thought at the moment is to buy 2 bodysuits (1 light grey, one medium grey), have the medium one as the base, and cut the lighter one into the panels as seen in the original costume. However, I have no idea how that will work.

Has anybody made a siren costume yet? :confused

What kind of shirt is that in the last picture. I too am making a Tron (not Rinzler) costume and need to know what would be best for the armor since im not craft savvy

It's a Troy Lee Designs Victory Guard shirt. I'm also planning on using protective pants like these.

For those interested, here is how the EL tape is connected from the manufacturer. Two small copper strips are laid over the metal portion, then the wires are soldered on to the copper, then protective tape is applied over everything before the heat shrink tubing is put on.

My thought at the moment is to buy 2 bodysuits (1 light grey, one medium grey), have the medium one as the base, and cut the lighter one into the panels as seen in the original costume. However, I have no idea how that will work.

Has anybody made a siren costume yet? :confused

I did some research on the Siren costume because my friend was going to cosplay as her. In one of the reference pictures, it looks as though the outfit is made out of a dancewear type material, not balloon rubber, although correct me if I'm wrong. What we were going to do is buy a white dance leotard with long sleeves and legs, and add the gray by cutting the shapes out of the white, and replacing it with the gray. I'm not sure how that would work either since we haven't done it, but just another idea. :)

Anyone else using sound?

Chad

yep! when i start working on my rinzler helmet im gonna have a speaker on the back that makes the purring noise.

...it looks as though the outfit is made out of a dancewear type material, not balloon rubber, although correct me if I'm wrong.
That would certainly seem more practical to a non-costumer layperson like me, as balloon rubber seems like it'd be too darn uncomfortable!

That would certainly seem more practical to a non-costumer layperson like me, as balloon rubber seems like it'd be too darn uncomfortable!

Same here. I read that both Beau Garrett and the model that did Gem for the premiere party couldn't move or sit down well in their suits at all due to the balloon rubber. Here's some nice quotes from the designers that I found concerning the Sirens' costumes...

""We designed these sleek costumes that play on feminine shapes and then made them look like cars," says costume designer Christine Bieselin Clark. "We wanted an auto-body kind of finish so the characters' curves feel like metal. We used metallic paint and pigment and things you would use on motor vehicles and created a fabric that we invented for this process. When you put those little touches of light in there, it just becomes a whole other being, almost.""

"Their ultra-smooth and glossy outfitswere made by spraying balloon rubber on top of Spandex, creating a shiny but extremely constricting suit. It took costumers, along with hair and makeup artists, between three to five hours to fully transform each actress into a ghostly white Siren, and another 90 minutes to turn them back."

Yikes! :(

Same here. I read that both Beau Garrett and the model that did Gem for the premiere party couldn't move or sit down well in their suits at all due to the balloon rubber. Here's some nice quotes from the designers that I found concerning the Sirens' costumes...

""We designed these sleek costumes that play on feminine shapes and then made them look like cars," says costume designer Christine Bieselin Clark. "We wanted an auto-body kind of finish so the characters' curves feel like metal. We used metallic paint and pigment and things you would use on motor vehicles and created a fabric that we invented for this process. When you put those little touches of light in there, it just becomes a whole other being, almost.""

"Their ultra-smooth and glossy outfitswere made by spraying balloon rubber on top of Spandex, creating a shiny but extremely constricting suit. It took costumers, along with hair and makeup artists, between three to five hours to fully transform each actress into a ghostly white Siren, and another 90 minutes to turn them back."

LOL Yyyeeaahh...I'm going to simplify the costume as much as I can, why still staying true to the actual design and aesthetic. My Bayonetta suit is made from wet-look pvc spandex, and it has the same feel to it:
Bayonetta by celticruins on deviantART

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure if this would be of any help, but I googled
"white PVC Spandex zentai suit" and came up with this
body suit:

http://www.spandex-zentai.com/sexy-white-pvc-zentai-catsuit-p-317.html

Shiny Metallic Zentai Suit [11782] - $41.99 : spandex-zentai.com

65539fd732996951f0db91f01db07284.image.226x300.jpg

Maybe this company will custom make a suit if you send then an "artist rendition"
of what you want made.

They may be able to add "gray panels" where you want them?

sirens.jpg

propmaster2000

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back