Tron Legacy Costume

Cothran.. nice look. Simple, classic, well lit. ELTape info seems to be the same price as on eBay, what size power sources (including run times on the batteries) you are using for the tape, and other detailed info would be greatly apprecaited.

Last edited:
hi there eva and neoprene are different in that neoprene can be sewn (if you have the right machine) eva is the bomb, you can buy a dense eva mat which is the ideal thickness for armour type applications from bunnings , its actually a shock absorbing work mat used by mechanics alot, it has a checkplate pattern on one side which can be sanded off using a wood rasp, use contact adhesive to join, when you have your shape you can use cheesecloth and a product called membrane which you paint on to give a smooth finish its flexible and durable and can be painted over. give me a yell if you have any more questions:) sorj

I bought three of these AA inverters: AAx2 battery inverter for EL wire/tape/panel

They had no problem powering the tape for the few hours i had it on. I'll take some more detailed pictures of how i attached the tape and ran the wires tomorrow. I also need to fix one of the original connections, so I'll peel back the heat shrink and take some pictures to see how it was connected. I may eventually run a couple of strips onto the shoulders and down the upper arms if i can find a better way of connecting the power wires.

Very cool Cothran, I actually want to try something similar now, only with red EL Tape.

And congrats, you just got me more interested in this thread :thumbsup

hi there eva and neoprene are different in that neoprene can be sewn (if you have the right machine) eva is the bomb, you can buy a dense eva mat which is the ideal thickness for armour type applications from bunnings , its actually a shock absorbing work mat used by mechanics alot, it has a checkplate pattern on one side which can be sanded off using a wood rasp, use contact adhesive to join, when you have your shape you can use cheesecloth and a product called membrane which you paint on to give a smooth finish its flexible and durable and can be painted over. give me a yell if you have any more questions:) sorj

Thanks a bunch! That was very helpful! :)

Glowhut.com

I bought 2 strips of the 1.25" tape and 3 inverters. I had to connect the tape on the back of the jacket to the third inverter myself using automotive adhesive and heat shrink tubing, which is actually holding up better than the original connections on the EL tape. I still have probably 1 ft. of tape left over if that gives you an idea of how much you get.
Thanks! My wallet will soon be getting thinner. ;)

I'll introduce myself quickly - I've been following this forum since I decided to attempt a New Captain America costume this past Halloween. I'll post pics of that once its totally complete. After Halloween my company decided that our holiday party would be a VIP showing of TRON, so I wanted to try to get a TRON costume together. I was going to do TRON (not Rinzler) but work got so busy that I wasn't going to be able to pull it off. So I thought I would try to do a young Flynn outfit (single stripe), but I don't have the hair for that and I was able to get 10 ft. of thin EL tape for the cost of 2 ft. of the thick stuff. So in the end I did something more like what the ISOs would wear.

I think it turned out great - very easy to wear and put on and take off. The jacket is powered with 3 inverters - 2 in each pocket for the front and in an inside pocket for the back. The tape is attached with super thin "costume" velcro from WalMart. I did the disc mod as well to keep it lit constantly, but the batteries ran out after only about an hour, so I need to put a better power source in there. While the disc was apart I added a couple of rare earth magnets inside the disc and 4 inside the jacket (2 stacks of 2). It's really secure on there and it the two sets of magnets make it really easy to put back on.

Then I bought the baton at Target, removed the mini light cycle, added 4 LEDS to the front and powered them with a wireless phone battery - they're very bright. I might use that to power the disc in fact. I also added a magnet inside the baton so al I have to do is drop some magnets in my pocket to attach it. That is really secure as well - I can spin the baton on my leg without it falling off.

In one of the pictures you can see the shirt I'll be using for the TRON outfit that I plan on finishing. That will use a combination of EL panels and LEDs.

Hope you guys enjoy - I've really enjoyed reading the thread and seeing everyone else's creations.

What kind of shirt is that in the last picture. I too am making a Tron (not Rinzler) costume and need to know what would be best for the armor since im not craft savvy

just a heads up if you plan on sticking to the true tron spirit don't use anything red because apparently their is no red in the tron universe...well as far as i know from what i read somewhere...

Also cothran what colour is that you used...was it just blue or was it the aqua?

thanks, red also seems to be the hardest to find, we'll I'm still looking into some information as it seems some strips are not cut-table, but might I ask, what would the color be for a corrupted file then? Orange? I could swear in all the jokes about Tron and stuff Master Computer was always Red as well as in the game.

just a heads up if you plan on sticking to the true tron spirit don't use anything red because apparently their is no red in the tron universe...well as far as i know from what i read somewhere...

Also cothran what colour is that you used...was it just blue or was it the aqua?

Correction.. there is no 'True Red' as we have seen it in the TRON:Legacy concept (unless you consider some of the odd orange/red tones).

There are HUGE amounts of red in the TRON1 concept for sure. :angel

Virus and other 'defective' programs are a sickly yellow tone in the TRON:Evolution Game.

Viruses and possibly "corrupted" programs appear to have their circuitry patterns warped and cracked. The virus created by Clu, is called Abraxas and looks awesome. Wonder if anyone will try and do an Abraxas costume... it would be so cool.

Abraxas.jpg

Viruses and possibly "corrupted" programs appear to have their circuitry patterns warped and cracked. The virus created by Clu, is called Abraxas and looks awesome. Wonder if anyone will try and do an Abraxas costume... it would be so cool.

The same is true with the "Tron 2.0" video game, programs that are corrupted/virus infected appear cracked/warped and glow a neon green. Abraxas kinda reminds me a bit of Thorn, as you can see here.

The same is true with the "Tron 2.0" video game, programs that are corrupted/virus infected appear cracked/warped and glow a neon green. Abraxas kinda reminds me a bit of Thorn, as you can see here.

Are ALL virus' like that? Cause that would be a little hard to implement lighting wise cause lighting is already a pain. I was planning to do a Virus/Assassin type program and make him like a neon green, but I would like more information about the cracked/warped stuff.

well right now im doing a rinzler and a clu costume, but next year i am planning on doing an abraxas costume after the other two are finished

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back