Tron Legacy Costume

Oh Actordiver, you're killing me here! I live in Nashville!

Ideally I'd do both. But both costumes are very involved. With my limited resources and funds, I truly think I only have the means to do one of them. I had started with Quorra and I already have some of her costumes pieces, but nothing too committed.

Just for fun I whipped this up. :p

OH BUMMER!! For some reason I thought you lived in LA. Well don't feel bad, There will always be another meet up perhaps next year Halloween. ;)

as far as costumes, if you can't do both I agree with Cell34 do the one that YOU would have the most fun getting dressed up as. However if you do the Siren..go all out and whiten your hair! THAT would be incredible!! ;)

Where exactly is the sign? Directly under the sign at 8pm?
And do we need to get tickets in advanced? I don't see it being sold out for gen admission at this time, but then it is the El Cap.

OK Sunset Plaza Shopping Center. (google Mel's Diner) I'll probably be there around 7:30ish tonight.

See you all tonight!!!! :)

OH BUMMER!! For some reason I thought you lived in LA. Well don't feel bad, There will always be another meet up perhaps next year Halloween. ;)

as far as costumes, if you can't do both I agree with Cell34 do the one that YOU would have the most fun getting dressed up as. However if you do the Siren..go all out and whiten your hair! THAT would be incredible!! ;)

Well, I was born in LA if that's any consolation. :lol I'll definitely be at Dragoncon this year, so perhaps I'll see you rad costumers there!

I've made the most strides so far on Quorra, so I think I'll stick with her for now. But I've got a fun idea with the siren...I want to collaborate with another costumer (as sadly, I can't sew to save my life), stitch together a couple of suits to create the siren that would look the part, but give me mobility. If I can get enough mobility to dance, I'm going to get a silver hoop (or better yet, an LED hoop!) and hoopdance in that bugger!

A little visual on that.....YouTube - LED hoop! everything is more fun in LIGHT

Found an interesting Tron suit tutorial over at Instructables. It uses layers of shirts and LED Ribbon to light it. Looks pretty good in my opinion. LED-lit Tron v2.0 suit

Ya i saw that too, and the ribbon lights gave me an idea to do a Kevin Flynn jacket with the one stripe, or something similar. Here the link to the ribbon lights Silicone Encased LED Strips - Ribbon Thin, Waterproof & Flexible So has anyone use these? how do they look, and do you have pictures?

Last edited:
I've made the most strides so far on Quorra, so I think I'll stick with her for now
Looking forward to the final result! You definitely have "the look" for a TRONiverse character.

Ta i saw that too, and the ribbon lights gave me an idea to do a Kevin Flynn jacket with the one stripe, or something similar. Here the link to the ribbon lights Silicone Encased LED Strips - Ribbon Thin, Waterproof & Flexible So has anyone use these? how do they look, and do you have pictures?
My only wonder is if the lighting will be totally uniform or if there will be bright spots here and there. For the jacket, I was planning to go with EL tape, as doing a single straight strip would be less difficult and costly. Still need to nail down the jacket, though.

My only wonder is if the lighting will be totally uniform or if there will be bright spots here and there. For the jacket, I was planning to go with EL tape, as doing a single straight strip would be less difficult and costly. Still need to nail down the jacket, though.

If there was something to diffuse the light, it might work. Although to do Flynn's jacket it looks a little thin. I'm thinking it was at least two inches wide.

Looking forward to the final result! You definitely have "the look" for a TRONiverse character.

What about using a diffuser sheet over the LED tracks?

Nothing that I've found, though I've also been too busy with work this week to look. I'm hoping that some of the fine folks here more skilled at this sort of thing will weigh in. I'm assuming that they're custom items made specifically for the production, but maybe we'll get lucky! :)

What about using a diffuser sheet over the LED tracks?

I too considered this method but don't know just how well the diffusers work.

Final reminder: for those going to ALA tomorrow (saturday), we will be having a TRON meet up 3 pm at the pool deck. See some of you there hopefully

Hi,
Ok so I've been searching the internet for the past 2 weeks on making a Tron: Legacy costume.
And eventually I came across this thread, but i've got to the point where i'm lost on where to start.
I am just planing on making a costume like Sam Flynns except I will customise the light pattern a bit.
So if someone could help me with where to start it would be a huge help.
I live in Brisbane, Australia so if anyone else here does (not likely) id be interested in doing a Tron: Legacy group to Supanova Brisbane in April...
Thanks for taking the time to read this post of mine, it means alot to me...
Bye For Now,
Josh

Hey Josh, I live in Lismore (2 hours south of you near Byron Bay), I am starting on a Tron Legacy "Program" suit of my own, whe I mastered som of the techniques I'll try my hand at a replica, I am on this forum religiously so I'll try and help out with any posts from a Down Under point of view. I am waiting on my dressmaker dummy which i ironically ebay'd from Brisvegas to get started, but I'd recommend by sourcing your undersuit first and scoping Crazy Clarks and stores like that for cheap camp mattress rolls for the EVA foam which is a good starter material, would like to trade tips as I go with mine and am hoping to get to Supernova myself this year (work and kids permitting)

A few of my friends who do cosplaying as well, have suggested i use rubber foam from somewhere like clark rubber for the armor.
At the moment i am still unclear on what to use for the base suit, im thinking of just buying a full black lycra-spandex unitard, at the moment i am currently working on making my I-Disc much better that it was.
Well we should keep in touch if your gonna try and make it to supanova in april...that way we can do a tron cosplay on stage if your up for it...

Hey all, this question is for anyone who has used neoprene or EVA foam (are they the same thing?) for their costumes. How flexible is it? Like when you're actually wearing the chest armor and bending and moving around, does it crinkle up? Is it comfortable? I was using craft foam for my friend's Sam costume, but he said it annoyed him when he bent over so we are using brush on latex/silicone now. Hopefully my tedious/insane idea works because of the money involved, but I want a second route just in case! Thanks, all of your ideas are so helpful!

A few of my friends who do cosplaying as well, have suggested i use rubber foam from somewhere like clark rubber for the armor.
At the moment i am still unclear on what to use for the base suit, im thinking of just buying a full black lycra-spandex unitard, at the moment i am currently working on making my I-Disc much better that it was.
Well we should keep in touch if your gonna try and make it to supanova in april...that way we can do a tron cosplay on stage if your up for it...
a Full lycra suit might cost a bit (unless lucky eBay buy or sale somewhere), you could grab long sleeved black t-shirt and womens lycra pants from Target for undersuit without spending too much, Clark rubber is good for the black EVA but pricey (over $20 a meter), I am ordering EL wire from Hong Kong relatively cheap and my button battery cases as well for the few red LED lights I will be incorporating. Supernova atm is a maybe due to work commitments but definitely trying to get it off. Have you bought the Identi-discs yet I have even thoiught about modding them yet (I have a Kevin Flynn that's staying in packaging and a Rinzler for costume)

I'll introduce myself quickly - I've been following this forum since I decided to attempt a New Captain America costume this past Halloween. I'll post pics of that once its totally complete. After Halloween my company decided that our holiday party would be a VIP showing of TRON, so I wanted to try to get a TRON costume together. I was going to do TRON (not Rinzler) but work got so busy that I wasn't going to be able to pull it off. So I thought I would try to do a young Flynn outfit (single stripe), but I don't have the hair for that and I was able to get 10 ft. of thin EL tape for the cost of 2 ft. of the thick stuff. So in the end I did something more like what the ISOs would wear.

I think it turned out great - very easy to wear and put on and take off. The jacket is powered with 3 inverters - 2 in each pocket for the front and in an inside pocket for the back. The tape is attached with super thin "costume" velcro from WalMart. I did the disc mod as well to keep it lit constantly, but the batteries ran out after only about an hour, so I need to put a better power source in there. While the disc was apart I added a couple of rare earth magnets inside the disc and 4 inside the jacket (2 stacks of 2). It's really secure on there and it the two sets of magnets make it really easy to put back on.

Then I bought the baton at Target, removed the mini light cycle, added 4 LEDS to the front and powered them with a wireless phone battery - they're very bright. I might use that to power the disc in fact. I also added a magnet inside the baton so al I have to do is drop some magnets in my pocket to attach it. That is really secure as well - I can spin the baton on my leg without it falling off.

In one of the pictures you can see the shirt I'll be using for the TRON outfit that I plan on finishing. That will use a combination of EL panels and LEDs.

Hope you guys enjoy - I've really enjoyed reading the thread and seeing everyone else's creations.

Nice work cothran, if you would be so kind as to divulge where you got you el tape, id be super grateful.

Glowhut.com

I bought 2 strips of the 1.25" tape and 3 inverters. I had to connect the tape on the back of the jacket to the third inverter myself using automotive adhesive and heat shrink tubing, which is actually holding up better than the original connections on the EL tape. I still have probably 1 ft. of tape left over if that gives you an idea of how much you get.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back