Tron Legacy Costume

Hey, everything is basically EL wire superglued to the helmet and disks. I actually have finished the entire costume. I went to see the movie (10 days post-opening . . . haha) and several people asked to take pics with me.

I'll upload pics of entire costume once my friend emails me the photos. Any questions, just lemme know. I may not reply promptly b/c I'm out of town.

Lastly, I would like to give a shoutout to Twinight for his quick responses to all my questions.

I was holding high hopes it was as easy as it seemed for the discs. A little punch a hole here, thread a wire through there, and I think I have my next 'functional back mounted' disc ready. Thnx SF, very helpful insight.

The Story you DIDN'T Know

Tron/Rinzler's loyalty to Clu was unwavering. So strong it was that they consummated their bond with each contributing half their code. A new entity was born (hey, anything can happen in the grid). He was neither program nor user. His name is TRU (Tron + Clu).

Happy New Years!

The jacket definitely looks similar to the one worn by the director. I do notice the director's jacket has a lot more detail, like some sort of "punched-out pattern" all over it. I wonder what the material is.

I'm pretty sure it is the same kind of jacket, just with a different lighting details. The comic probably just simplified it.

I'd kill for the movie on Blu Ray right now.

I've just figured out some financial things, so now I can start on my suit. I'd like to ask you guys if you have suggestions as to materials/methods I use. I plan to make a mold of me, cast it in a rigid material, sculpt the shape of the rubbery body armor on my mannequin using a sort of clay, then make a mold of that. Then with the bare mannequin in the mold, ill cast the armor pieces with a silicone/urethane rubber. I've been thinking I might have the mannequin wear the under suit, so that the armor attaches to it that way, but I'm not sure. Also playing with the idea of setting the electronics into the rubber. I plan to have the battery pack on my lower back.

So yeah, any helpful suggestions? :)

I'm pretty sure it is the same kind of jacket, just with a different lighting details. The comic probably just simplified it.

I'd kill for the movie on Blu Ray right now.
And it's probably a custom jacket, which means my hopes of finding something off-the-rack are slim. Hopefully someone will do a decent repro that I can light up!

Happy New Year!!!!!! Can't wait for more Tron fun with you all in 2011!!!! Xoxo
1ze9mwl.jpg

For the past several weeks, I have been watching this thread and have more or less wanted to start my own Tron: 2010 Costume as well.
I have already modified the toy Identity Disc with LED's and I am now in the process of creating the back mounting base to hold the disc secure yet easily removable. Below is a web page showing my progress:

It's a combination of 1/2" foam, clear epoxy resin (two part mix) and liquid rubber. I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt.
It can now be added to the costume backing hardware.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/oldman562/tron_disc_base.html

img0779sm.jpg

propmaster2000

Last edited:
Not to discourage ya, IsaacClarke, but are you working for DISNEY Comp.?! From how you described your plan here, it almost seems like what THE COSTUME DESIGNERS did for the suits in the movie and that cost BUKO-$$$$$$$, buddy! :lol I think the best one advice you may wanna keep in mind is: KEEP IT SIMPLE and making sure IT'S COMFORTABLE TO WEAR(I've learned my lesson a last month). :)

I've just figured out some financial things, so now I can start on my suit. I'd like to ask you guys if you have suggestions as to materials/methods I use. I plan to make a mold of me, cast it in a rigid material, sculpt the shape of the rubbery body armor on my mannequin using a sort of clay, then make a mold of that. Then with the bare mannequin in the mold, ill cast the armor pieces with a silicone/urethane rubber. I've been thinking I might have the mannequin wear the under suit, so that the armor attaches to it that way, but I'm not sure. Also playing with the idea of setting the electronics into the rubber. I plan to have the battery pack on my lower back.

So yeah, any helpful suggestions? :)

Yep, if he wants to go all the way i say good on him.

If i had the scuplting skills thats how id do it. And if i knew any body close that could do it for me that way id pay to have it done. But im in the great middle of nowhere so foam will have to suffice for now....

It's pretty much the way I've been considering doing Quorra's torso armor, as well as her helmet. The trick is getting a mannequin that accurately represents my body shape. As I understand it, Disney's team used 3D scans of the actors and re-created them using rapid prototyping. I still haven't come up with a solution for this that I'm happy with... I'm figuring it'll just have to be some sort of life cast. This probably won't be as big of a problem for Quorra's armor as it might be for Sam's or Clu's, though. Once that's done, however, it's just a matter of sculpting with clay to get the desired form for the armor, and creating molds from that... basically as lsaacClarke describes.

Not to discourage ya, IsaacClarke, but are you working for DISNEY Comp.?! From how you described your plan here, it almost seems like what THE COSTUME DESIGNERS did for the suits in the movie and that cost BUKO-$$$$$$$, buddy! :lol I think the best one advice you may wanna keep in mind is: KEEP IT SIMPLE and making sure IT'S COMFORTABLE TO WEAR(I've learned my lesson a last month). :)

Haha

Even though you were probably joking, no, I do not work for Disney. The reason I'm not so worried about budget is because I plan to make the armor very durable, more so than the screen used suits. If this is something I'm putting this much work into I want it to last a long time.

Anyway, I'll be looking into life casting and what materials work, I'll keep posting here. As I said I've never done this before so I'm not totally sure where to start looking. I've found Smooth-On from looking around the RPF, any opinions on their products? I'm also not sure what clay would be good for the sculpting, so if anyone had pointers for that it'd help me out a lot too. The ideal clay in my head is easy to sculpt and holds shape well, then hardens. Not sure if this is possible because I'm kind of a noob, but if it is does anyone know a source? Thanks for any advice, hopefully I can make a costume that looks as good as some of the other users suits here :p

Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum but I've read through almost the entire thing and you guys have such awesome ideas, thanks for sharing them! :) I need some advice on the armor too, I'm making a Sam costume for my friend and I was using foam, then he said he wanted to use latex rubber or silicone. I found this stuff: Silicone Rubber

That, and the Mold Builder liquid latex I was looking at. I've never worked with anything like this before, so my question is this:
Is it necessary to actually make casts of our bodies first? I was kind of thinking of putting on really tight workout clothes and painting it on in the armor shape, putting lots of coats until it became the thickness we want, and then, assuming it wouldn't come off of the cloth, just cutting it off. Then after we got them in exactly the right shape, attaching all the pieces to our underarmor.
Is this a ridiculous idea? It seems like it would work, but of course things always work in my head the way I want them to, not necessarily the way they will work out in real life, haha. The stuff isn't insanely expensive, so even if we have to make casts somehow of our bodies it shouldn't be too bad. Any ideas?

Alot of pol here have experience with el tape. Can one of you guys answer my question?
Q: how do you connect 2 pieces of el tape to each other? Say 1 is already connected to the inverter and you wanna make that piece longer? Thanks

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back